PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.04 is a beautiful release- it's time to coordinate large scale advertising.

murderslastcrow
July 12th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Ubuntu 10.04 is arguably the best release to date. Depending on your criteria for a distro, even the best Linux distro to date, especially for the common user. The main thing we're missing is a tiny bit of vendor support from companies like Adobe, as well as something we've never had a clearly evident form of- broadcast advertising.

Sure, there are a lot of amateur videos on YouTube to promote Ubuntu, but I think something more official, direct from the community, is in order.

I've built up some simple criteria to focus on for anyone who is interested, and I'll have a page up soon to highlight dates, contributions, and the layout of the advertisements, along with where we could most effectively broadcast them at the lowest effective cost.

This will be a democratic process, but we should make sure our design is sleek, unified, and attractive. This means that if you suggest we put disclaimers of Windows application availability (which is pretty high with Wine, althought not perfect), minute niches of hardware compatibility, or other smaller issues a user might run into, you're likely to be ignored. There's a time and place for this, and an advertisement isn't one of them. We're not hiding anything, since this information is readily available elsewhere- we want to accentuate the good points of Ubuntu. I'm getting this out of the way from the outset, since I don't believe it's a credible marketing move, and it doesn't make us dishonest. We won't claim anything unrealistic.

Criteria

Tell a story rather than convey bland information - the ad should have a premise, content, and close. Beginning middle and end, pretty simple.

Ad should focus on Ubuntu as a comprehensive alternative to other operating systems - gradually presenting ideas from smallest to greatest benefits can create awe and pique interest.

The ad should appeal to the viewer's emotions - We're about Linux for Human Beings, lets make this applicable to human situations.

Use easy arguments - find the benefits of Ubuntu that are obvious and require little reasonable debate. Things like easy software installation, speed, security, glamour, among other obvious features of Ubuntu. We don't want to confuse people with ambiguous terms.

Use kinesthetic design - the movement, patterns, and colors used should all provide a clean, rejuvenating feeling for the viewer.

Stay within one visual space as much as possible - we don't want to cut to scenes of different people, this produces confusion. Keep the ad within a reasonable space to form a cohesive, memorable ad.

Don't let words get in the way - make sure the imagery expresses the ideas presented to reduce the viewer's need to concentrate. For examples, think of the iPhone commercials which present the functionality in obvious terms, so you don't need to really listen to get the message. Compiz would be an obvious example of this.

Finally, we need a good soundtrack. If the music is cheesy or unpleasant, it will get annoying for a viewer to see more than once.

I will organize members and a central space for collecting materials and planning pieces, which can first be found on YouTube, then we can move to find adequate funding for the most successful ads. There's no reason we should just use one, but the first should be general purpose, followed by ads with extra points if the first catches on.

Once we have some high resolution, professional ads together, we'll work on collaborating with other marketing teams in the community at large to pool resources and get them on the air.

If, during this process, we find another organization with larger influence, we may join efforts and resources with them to achieve a common goal. Word of mouth advertising works one by one, while large scale advertising works best with a group of creative people that agree on the basic concepts.

If it's appropriate, we will host this on the marketing team's community pages. However, I think it's important to think broadly and collect support from as many groups as possible to make the proper effect on consumers.

If this thread belongs in Art and Design or LoCo Teams, a mod should move it there, However, there doesn't seem to a marketing-focused subsection of the forums. I want forum users' (consumers') opinions on this.

chessnerd
July 12th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Ad starts, home office setting, an empty desk with a computer on it.

Suddenly, a person appears behind the computer.

Voiceover: "Meet Aaron, he's your typical computer user..."

Show Aaron smiling as he works.

Voiceover: "...well, maybe not so typical. But what makes him different?"

Cut to a blank space on the wall.

Voiceover: "He doesn't have some sort of fancy computing degree."

Cut to his computer, preferably a classic-looking beige desktop.

Voiceover: "He doesn't have the latest hardware."

Cut to his computer screen, with a OpenOffice being used.

Voiceover: "And no, he isn't slacking off."

Zoom out to show the entire desktop environment.

Voiceover: "Aaron recently switched to Ubuntu, one of the worlds most stable and easy-to-use operating systems."

Cut to Aaron calmly working with a slight smile on his face.

Voiceover: "Ubuntu is so fast and reliable that even with his old computer, Aaron is able to fly through his workload in no time."

Show the document being saved and then a new e-mail coming in on Evolution. During this, the voiceover continues.

Voiceover: "Aaron can open that attachment with confidence because Ubuntu is immune to almost all computer viruses."

Opens the attachment, OpenOffice fires up again.

Voiceover: "With the acclaimed OpenOffice.org Suite included, Aaron doesn't need to worry about buying expensive office software, and because it's compatible with other popular office products like Microsoft Office and WordPerfect, Aaron won't have any trouble opening this attachment from his boss."

The file reads at the top: I want this proofed and edited by 8:00 am tomorrow. Aaron looks at the clock on his computer, which reads 3:00 pm and smiles.

Voiceover: "But, he'll have time for that later..."

He closes the program and gets up from the desk.

Fade to the Ubuntu logo. Have the little Ubuntu symbol move down and become a dot, then add "com" to the end of it.

Voiceover: "Ubuntu Linux. Fast, fun, easy."

---

The ad could obviously have a woman as the main character, but I needed to pick a gender and Aaron was the first name that came to me.

The slogan comes from the Ubuntu Home Page, which reads "It's time for a change. Your computer can be better - it can be fast, fun, and easier to use"

What do you think? I want your honest opinion.

tgalati4
July 12th, 2010, 06:00 AM
$5K will get you a NASCAR sticker.

chessnerd
July 12th, 2010, 06:07 AM
$5K will get you a NASCAR sticker.
Do we really want Nascar fans to flood the Ubuntu Forums? :P

A billboard might be a good idea. Those can be as low as $200 a month in some areas (high profile areas are closer to $3000 a month, however).

murderslastcrow
July 12th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I love your idea for an ad- follows my outline pretty clearly! We could do a series of these with several typical users, like the young female college student, businesman, and older people around 60-70. Only thing about that is that it requires more than one add to cover the most prominent features of Ubuntu. It's certainly doable, though, and would require little cost to produce if you had the right room/camera/lighting/voice actor. I definitely think this is a possibility.

I was also considering a bling-bling type of ad, which focuses on the desktop, which unfortunately doesn't really get to a lot of the human aspects as easily, but using the new Ubuntu colors.

I'm thinking of having a netbook, laptop, and desktop all showing a specific benefit of Ubuntu as the ad progresses. Picture a netbook in a clean space on a white table, the camera zooms in to show Ubuntu's default desktop. The announcer asks if the user has ever seen Ubuntu? He says it's safe, fast, easy to use, and can run on old computers comfortably.

The netbook brings up some applications like Openoffice, Firefox, and Rhythmbox. The announcer explains that it comes with tons of software for basic needs, then opens the software center and says you can get plenty more for free.

It might then move out of the screen and over to a laptop, talking about Ubuntu One, the cloud, and the Ubuntu One Music store, which allows you to 'synchronize your digital life', with a small tune playing and bringing the desktop over with a visualization of the files syncing between them, some kind of animation.

Then we can mention how it supports the latest web standards, including Facebook integration, and show that off on the desktop (web browsing, using Gwibber and the MeMenu).

Then he could mention that Ubuntu also puts the latest technology right at your fingertips, and show the applications that have been mentioned so far on different sides of the compiz cube, spaced appropriately to reduce the feeling of 'too many windows'. Then we could close a few with the compiz effects and wobble one out of the way to focus on the desktop that has a wallpaper saying along with the announcer, "Ubuntu, Linux for Human Beings." Or a similar tagline that provides a strong message. Of course, having iPods animated next to the syncing/music sections, or other reliable objects pop up next to the computers would be a good idea, too.

I have the skills to produce those animations in Blender already depending on what approach we'd like to take.

However, I really like the common user with the calm smirk idea, it's also very powerful, and targets a certain niche. I really like it, but I hope that it would be general enough to apply to a wide range of users. I'll add that definition with a storyboard when the site's up, along with mine.

That billboard idea is great, and I'll be designing the site to accomodate different forms of wide-spread advertising. That is, audio(radio/podcast), video (TV commercial/YouTube video/presentation), and still ads (billboards/urban media). Nothing like brochures, though, that's already covered by another team and more of a one-on-one type of advertising we've already got going.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming- I'll aggregate it and label the ideas with your usernames. Of course, not every idea will be the one idea we choose from, but for now I think it's important to take a wide variety of rough ideas and refine them, then eliminate or postpone the ones that are least effective out of the bunch. Got a good crowd here, though.

My storyboards will seek your approval for the original sketches, then we can refine with comprehensives and pictures detailing the aspects pre-production. This way 3d modelers, photographers, cinematographers, and voice actors can find an ad they like and volunteer.

murderslastcrow
July 12th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Not to spam my own post, but I think the slogan

Ubuntu[.com]

It's time for a change. Your computer can be better - it can be fast, fun, and easier to use.

Would be great on a billboard.

Legendary_Bibo
July 12th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I actually had an idea for a commercial...but it doesn't follow your guidelines. :D
Here it goes before I get off to play F.E.A.R. 2 in the dark.

We start with a person or a penguin or something pressing a giant floating on symbol and then a giant sphere or planet or earth shoots out with things coming out, kind of like in this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANHoG8a7aR8)

Then it starts playing with some techno/punk song (music only) and it goes to all the logos of the major distros. Or we could just have it be the Ubuntu logo, but anyways when it gets to the Ubuntu logo it shows the three pillars of the Ubuntu logo (the red, orange, and yellow dots) as Compiz cylinders and it shows different things that can be done on each pillar like "play", "work", "explore", or something. Then it could all sucked in or explode and it goes the Ubuntu screen with Canonical's logo on it if it's just for Ubuntu.

If it shows linux in general then when it gets to Ubuntu, the pillars could show you playing with different things, and then it could surf across the globe to lets say RedHat and then it could say something like "work", and something else for "explore", or it could just show all the major distros, and end the same way but the final screen would transition to the logo "Linux" with a redone image of the penguin on the left, and display the phrase "the freedom of choice". Oh the sphere thing will also be on a white background.

Sorry if you can't picture it in your head like I can.

I know you guys don't like this, but we really have to sell Linux based on its eye candy. I've talked to several people and to them the prettier it is, the better it is. They don't care about security, or anything like that. We really have to sell it on its looks.

Off I go!

RichardLinx
July 12th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I don't think it was that great to be honest. It's not bad, but I don't think large scale advertising is a good idea just yet. Especially since Gnome 3.0 is coming out in September and will probably put Ubuntu into temporary disarray.

I say next LTS....

papangul
July 12th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Targeting average computer users by the ads is a futile exercise till ubuntu is available preinstalled from all(most) major vendors.

Till then, I think, it's more relevant to target computer-savvy niche audience like school/college students, techies, etc.

Stancel
July 12th, 2010, 07:55 AM

I don't think this is the right message. A lot of old hardware simply does not work with Ubuntu. Back in 2007 I could not install Ubuntu on an old Windows 2000 desktop PC. I got to the initial menu (Try Ubuntu, Install, etc), but then it would never get past the loading screen.

I think your idea could also use some improvement because it really isn't going to be seen as funny or interesting. Obviously humor isn't needed in picture ads, but people expect video ads to catch their attention somehow. think of DistroWatch.com's slogan, Put the fun back into computing. you have to show people it's not for boring work but for other things too.

ZarathustraDK
July 12th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I made a snarky musicvideo some time ago : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoLy_1fChJI

It doesn't really follow your parameters for an ad, but I'll throw it in there nonetheless ;)

It brings up an interesting point though. Generally it's seen as tasteless to rip on the competition in order to promote your product (my vid does that in abundance ^^), but still we're trying to promote a product which strength is the weakness of the opposition. How to do that? Personally I like ads with a bit of an edge and attitude, not those ads that loose themselves in silly buzzwords like "value" and "innovative".

Frogs Hair
July 12th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I would would like to see a good ad , not just a cube demonstation set to music which are common.

donkyhotay
July 12th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Ad starts, home office setting, an empty desk with a computer on it.

Suddenly, a person appears behind the computer.

Voiceover: "Meet Aaron, he's your typical computer user..."

Show Aaron smiling as he works.

Voiceover: "...well, maybe not so typical. But what makes him different?"

Cut to a blank space on the wall.

Voiceover: "He doesn't have some sort of fancy computing degree."

Cut to his computer screen, with a OpenOffice being used.

Voiceover: "And no, he isn't slacking off."

Zoom out to show the entire desktop environment.

Voiceover: "Aaron recently switched to Ubuntu, one of the worlds most stable and easy-to-use operating systems."

Cut to Aaron calmly working with a slight smile on his face.

Voiceover: "Ubuntu is so fast and reliable that even with his old computer, Aaron is able to fly through his workload in no time."

Show the document being saved and then a new e-mail coming in on Evolution. During this, the voiceover continues.

Voiceover: "Aaron can open that attachment with confidence because Ubuntu is immune to almost all computer viruses."

Opens the attachment, OpenOffice fires up again.

Voiceover: "With the acclaimed OpenOffice.org Suite included, Aaron doesn't need to worry about buying expensive office software, and because it's compatible with other popular office products like Microsoft Office and WordPerfect, Aaron won't have any trouble opening this attachment from his boss."

The file reads at the top: I want this proofed and edited by 8:00 am tomorrow. Aaron looks at the clock on his computer, which reads 3:00 pm and smiles.

Voiceover: "But, he'll have time for that later..."

He closes the program and gets up from the desk.

Fade to the Ubuntu logo. Have the little Ubuntu symbol move down and become a dot, then add "com" to the end of it.

Voiceover: "Ubuntu Linux. Fast, fun, easy."

---

The ad could obviously have a woman as the main character, but I needed to pick a gender and Aaron was the first name that came to me.

The slogan comes from the Ubuntu Home Page, which reads "It's time for a change. Your computer can be better - it can be fast, fun, and easier to use"

What do you think? I want your honest opinion.

Let me edit this a bit for you....

Instead of having the part where he turns off the computer after hearing "but he'll have time for that later". At that point he should instead launch something like nexuiz or some other game and start playing it. The ad itself I think would be pretty good however you have to know your target audience. Your target audience (i.e. the "average" computer user) goes down to their local big-box store, buys a system and uses whatever is on it. Unless said big-box store sells computers pre-installed with ubuntu they *may* ask (probably not) but upon hearing "we don't sell that here" or (more likely) "the windows/mac systems are better, you should get one of those instead" will just end up buying another proprietary system. My point here is that unless stores sell systems with ubuntu pre-installed, no one would buy them regardless of what you advertise (as previously mentioned). Also, even if we all work together, we can't out-advertise apple and MS because of their huge budgets.

azangru
July 12th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I would love to see ads that debunk common misconceptions about Linux:

- Linux is for geeks (programmers, system administrators, etc.): show normal people, including grandmas and students of humanities who use Linux in their daily life
- Linux means command line: show the command line (voiceover: this is what Linux used to look like in its old days), then a modern desktop environment - GNOME, KDE, whatever, with Compiz effects (voiceover: this is what Linux looks like now)
- Linux can't be used for art, video editing, etc.: show people who use GIMP for artwork; show the Blender team and their projects
- Linux can't work with MS Office documents: show OpenOffice
- Linux doesn't have games: show the most promising ones

Plus, obvious benefits:
- All (well, most of the) software in one place: show the concept of repositories
- No viruses: show the hassle of installing antiviruses on Windows - only to find out that some nasty rootkit has made it through the defences and jeopardizes your work. Show also the annoyance of renewing the antivirus licenses every year or so.
- Free upgrades: Show the typical pathway of WinXP->Vista->Win7 with price tags; also MacOS10.4->10.5->10.6 with price tags
- Legality, no need for pirating, since software is already free
- Incredible customizability: show different desktop environments with different desktop effects

McRat
July 12th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Camera: Start from outerspace, earth gets closer and closer, goes through the clouds to Nevada desert, to abandoned looking airbase, to large hanger entrance, inside of hanger has F117, B2, and some alien spacecraft, at end of hanger is a normal door, small sign says Groom Lake Software Development Center, door opens...

Setting: Bunch of Aliens with various computers, multi-monitors, singles, large monitors, notebooks, all working diligently at the computers with Spreadsheets, Webbrowsers, Games, etc, aliens are laughing and speaking in strange tongues.

Camera: Slowly approaches one alien with large monitor that has Ubuntu displayed prominately on display, with small windows of a couple apps, webbrowser, letter to "home":

Narrator: Ubuntu Linux - Best kept secret in the Universe is now available for everybody. No clearance required.

Stancel
July 12th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Camera: Start from outerspace, earth gets closer and closer, goes through the clouds to Nevada desert, to abandoned looking airbase, to large hanger entrance, inside of hanger has F117, B2, and some alien spacecraft, at end of hanger is a normal door, small sign says Groom Lake Software Development Center, door opens...

Setting: Bunch of Aliens with various computers, multi-monitors, singles, large monitors, notebooks, all working diligently at the computers with Spreadsheets, Webbrowsers, Games, etc, aliens are laughing and speaking in strange tongues.

Camera: Slowly approaches one alien with large monitor that has Ubuntu displayed prominately on display, with small windows of a couple apps, webbrowser, letter to "home":

Narrator: Ubuntu Linux - Best kept secret in the Universe is now available for everybody. No clearance required.

best idea so far.:P

nerdy_kid
July 13th, 2010, 01:52 AM

love it! and itd show off blender while it was at it

WinterRain
July 13th, 2010, 02:30 AM
All of these ideas are really great and would love to see them happen, but who is going to pay for airtime? It costs major amounts of money to advertise on TV and radio.

Cam!
July 13th, 2010, 04:16 AM
==Personality==
A diverse group of people are lined up in a giant purple room, with a bunch of LCD monitors and chairs in front of them. As they sit down, a scientist walks toward a giant Ubuntu Logo-shaped panel on the wall. He presses it, and a Red, Blue, and Green beam of light appear from each circle. They blend into one another, making a rainbow, as the beam shoots across the line, going through each monitor.

The camera shows the face of many stereotypical people (A businessman, a metalhead, a preppy girl, a sports fan, etc.), as the monitors show the many, many customizable themes that match up with them. The scientist smiles, as an Ubuntu logo appears on screen. It's "pressed", as the link to Ubuntu.com appears on bottom.

==Hater!==
A scientist escorts a 20-something male into a large purple room, with a computer desk in the middle. The man is constantly whining about Linux, complaining that it's only for nerds, how there's no good software for it, how it's ugly, etc. The scientist scoffs, and puts earplugs in his ears, as he points to the computer.

The camera pans to the scientist, who takes his earplugs off, as he begins to say "This isn't the 80's, kid. Here, we--". He's cut off, as the camera swings to the user, who suddenly has an Ubuntu T-shirt, a stuffed Tux toy, and a novelty pendant that says "I <3 UBUNTU" on it. His jaw is wide open, and eyes looking in amazement, as the scientist grins, and says "We're THAT good". The Ubuntu logo appears on screen. It's "pressed", as the link to Ubuntu.com appears on bottom.

==That was Fast!==
A scientist is standing besides a young woman sitting in a large purple room, with a lone computer desk. The camera freezes on her, as a subtitle reads "Jane Doe, fastest woman in the world. The scientist has a stopwatch in his hand, as he looks at her. She smiles, and says "It'll take me only 10 minutes to download every app I need, and set this computer up!". The scientist chuckles, and turns the computer on.

The camera focuses on the many icons, and screenshots of applications pre-loaded on Ubuntu, such as FireFox, Gwibber, OpenOffice, Evolution, CD Burners, etc. Jane looks back at the scientist and shrugs, as she says "Um...there, I guess. I'm done.". The number "--.--" appears on the screen, signifying that it didn't take a single moment for her to start downloading. Confetti comes out of the ceiling, as the scientist boringly blows a party horn. The Ubuntu logo appears on screen. It's "pressed", as the link to Ubuntu.com appears on bottom.

murderslastcrow
July 13th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Small groups have submitted Linux ads to radio stations successfully already, directed customers to a number for information, and they converted plenty of business users as well as average users. In fact, the geeks were the LEAST likely to convert since they were so much more invested in Windows than the average users.

In fact, from my personal experience getting people into Ubuntu, I think the ideology here is backwards. DELL, Lenovo, Acer, and HP all have Linux-based offerings. Not in stores yet, but the point is that we advertise Wubi and the LiveCD openly, to decrease a user's fear to try it out. Ubuntu's new website is very good at explaining every aspect of the installation for various kinds of installations. I don't think is too farfetched for an average user to grasp.

In fact, if we focus on showing people that they can get tomorrow's technology today, and for free, but show it in a simple way that doesn't confuse them, not just with compiz but with the other important benefits for business users and pretty much everyone (security, sync your digital life, etc. like the site has set up basically), we could get a lot of attention.

The whole point is that, up until now, there have been several small, successful ad campaigns on radio and throughout Youtube- we want to gather the funding from these groups and gain their support by producing high quality ads.

Since I'm so devoted to this, I myself can produce the ads whether or not volunteers show up. I really hope they do, too. My point is that the affectiveness of Linux advertising and its supposed barriers have been so little explored it's impossible to say with certainty that it's pointless, or that focusing on normal users is the wrong approach.

If people told Mark Shuttleworth six years ago to just focus on geeks, where would we be today? If people told Steve Jobs his designs, interfaces, and devices were 'too new, too abstract,' where would that OS be today?

I know many of you have doubts, but to be honest, I'm gonna' do it anyway, whether I have to post it on Youtube or raise my own money for it. It'd just be nice to get as much support as possible from those who do think it's viable.

That isn't to say I don't value your input- I will take the hurdles and barriers among average consumers into firm evaluation as this project evolves.

I have to apologize for not having a site up, yet. This will be available soon for people to reference. We need charismatic and creative people to show just how viable Ubuntu is. I know many of you are content to just keep Linux to yourselves, and not 'impede on others', but the fact is that most people would be very happy with Linux if they really knew what it was. At least, that's my experience with the dozens of average people I've easily converted by giving a detailed, but not too lengthy, orientation.

To be honest, so long as you mention Wine and are aware of what programs they'll need, then decide between full boot and dual boot, the rest is pretty simply awesome to everyone. Also, making sure they recognize it's a new experience and there will be a minor amount of relearning the new way to do things is another opportunity- not obstacle.

People don't buy shiny new things because they're old and familiar. It's because they want something interesting and refreshing. Ubuntu provides that.

murderslastcrow
July 13th, 2010, 04:36 AM
To summarize my last post (TLDR), here are the main points.

1. We shouldn't patronize normal people, thinking they're incapable of running Wubi or burning and running a CD. They use Windows all day, they put up with a lot more complexity than that.

2. No research has been done on broadcast Linux advertising, so the effectiveness of a focused and widely supported ad campaign is hard to credit or discredit. We're here to see how well we could do in larger numbers, since we're already successful in smaller campaigns on the radio and in one on one orientations.

3. We shouldn't geek-out or perplex the average users, but we shouldn't shelter them from what makes Ubuntu awesome, either. There are plenty of features that would be easily understood by any computer user. These are the most visible and easy to back up- it nearly advertises itself.

4. No site yet, apologies. Still getting the layout organized. I feign discouragement, while I acknowledge the challenges ahead. There are no deadlines so far, since we want a creative atmosphere about this- we'll consider a timeframe when the ads are done, the best time to air them.

murderslastcrow
July 13th, 2010, 04:43 AM
P.S. Lots of responses while I was writing that. These are all such good ideas, it'll be hard to choose just one. It's good to keep the creative juices flowing. We do want to make sure people have a clue what we're talking about, though, so we might wanna' save the more abstract advertisements for later on.

Or, do you think a non-explanatory but provocative ad might be best? This will all be discussed in further length when I get things organized. I'm planning on contacting some of the digital talent I've seen around these forums, like Madsrosendahl, Danrabbit, and may even gather some people from the more fan-oriented sites like OMG! Ubuntu and the such. I want everyone to realize that this is only the beginning, we want to start small with lots of good ideas and refine them, narrow them down, and that this process is meant to be fun and encourage creativity. Don't feel too bad if your idea isn't quite tip-top, yet, it's only a rough design at this point.

I figure it's better that it happens now than never, so even if you've just got a whim or want to comment on or critique our offerings, I encourage you to do so (again, when everything's up). XD Apologies for spamming my own thread so much, just trying to give valuable feedback and establish some expectations.

Python Jedi
July 13th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I think we need to have A Ubuntu system that can work with almost all hardware (Get Nvidia driver hassles to a minimum, I'm having trouble with one right now) before we start an advertising campaign. What happens when a whole bunch of people download ubuntu and find that it "doesn't work" with their monitor (when they just need a driver)and decide to go back to what they were using? then we have given them reason to believe that ubuntu and linux is still for geeks. not good. we also need some work on replacements for terminal commands. I'm working on an environment variable editor in C with GTK+, but there are still things that can only be done at the command line that you see tons of new users having to do. these tasks could be made into a GUI diagnostic tool that the user could run. some of the error messages may also need to be changed for the average user to understand. ATM Ubuntu has been made very user friendly, but it still assumes that the person using it has enough knowledge to be able to fix the problems and thus dumps out useful but cryptic error messages. for the average user, this is confusing and "scary", not what you want a new user to feel.

In a nutshell, I think ubuntu needs a little more work in hiding the computer from the user, as the user is expecting the inner workings to be hidden and "off-limits", not open and needing to be tweaked.

Great Ideas, but I think we need to wait for a little bit.

kevin11951
July 13th, 2010, 05:21 PM
The "Feature-for-Feature" ad campaign:

Each ad starts:
A image of the top left quarter of an Ubuntu desktop appears.

A man begins to talk "This is Ubuntu... Its not a PC or a MAC... Its something new" (Catering to people who only see differences in hardware, and dont understand software).

Ad 1 (Installing software from the software center):
Man: If you want a new application for your computer, you dont have to go to the store, you can download almost any application you need, right from your desktop.

[man opens software center]

man: Today, I want to download a new application for playing videos, VLC Media Player...

Man: I think I will use the searchbar

[types vlc]

Man: Ah, here it is

[clicks install]

[speed up time to make it seem very short]

[done]

Man: So, as you can see, that was very easy to do...

Also, someone should change the dialog, but the general idea of showing someone installing an app in ubuntu is a good one...

Simian Man
July 13th, 2010, 05:28 PM
There's no point in Linux. The people who put money into the Linux ecosystem already know all about it (ie large corporations), and the people who don't know about it (ie regular people) can get it for free if they want it.

There's just no point.

Cam!
July 13th, 2010, 05:30 PM
There's no point in Linux. The people who put money into the Linux ecosystem already know all about it (ie large corporations), and the people who don't know about it (ie regular people) can get it for free if they want it.

There's just no point.

Large scale advertising = More downloads.
More downloads = Increased market share.
Increased market share = More attention from major developers.
More attention from major developers = Better apps.

McRat
July 13th, 2010, 05:34 PM

There's just no point.

This is why there are 5 different Free Web Browsers, and 30 Free Search Engines, and none of them advertise at all.

Why advertise or promote a product that can be had for free?

Marlonsm
July 13th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I think we need something a little different.

Even if we make the best ad ever, I just can't imagine the average Joe downloading, burning and installing Ubuntu all by himself.

What we need is to get a (big) OEM to promote Ubuntu.
Make an ad, and in the end say something like "Also available from Dell", for example.

McRat
July 13th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I think we need to have A Ubuntu system that can work with almost all hardware ....

You realize that if you waited for software to be perfect or very close to it prior to release, Windows and Office would still be in Beta, right?

I can't use Win7 because of compatibility issues with both hardware and software. Seems they released it anyways.

Simian Man
July 13th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Large scale advertising = More downloads.
More downloads = Increased market share.
Increased market share = More attention from major developers.
More attention from major developers = Better apps.
I understand why Linux users wish it were advertised. But do you wish it badly enough to shell out tens of thousands plus for an advertising campaign?

This is why there are 5 different Free Web Browsers, and 30 Free Search Engines, and none of them advertise at all.

I have never seen an advertisement for a web browser before, but search engines and other "free" websites advertise because the more users they have, the more ad revenue they generate. Not so for Linux distros.

Cam!
July 13th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I understand why Linux users wish it were advertised. But do you wish it badly enough to shell out tens of thousands plus for an advertising campaign?

For any major hardware/software company, even Canonical itself, shelling out cash to make a commercial would be fine.

Canonical is solely responsible for the Ubuntu rebrand (New logo + color scheme + site). They can save the money on advertising agencies/directors/actors, and have people within the company do them.

Also, for the past few months, I've been seeing advertisements for Google.com, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer 8.

McRat
July 13th, 2010, 05:55 PM

I have never seen an advertisement for a web browser before, but search engines and other "free" websites advertise because the more users they have, the more ad revenue they generate. Not so for Linux distros.

It's almost like they are allergic to money. This website alone due to it's size would generate about $1,100,000 a year if it allowed ads. A site with 100,000 members will generate $100,000 / yr in my experience. So about a buck a useryear. The "home" site would generate another significant amount of money.

A million dollar ad campaign is pretty small, but if it's internet based, it would be more effective than most TV/Radio.

A few spots on Discovery Channel couldn't hurt though especially during a science show.

And do not dismiss the "goodwill" factor. Discounts or freebies could occur if Ubuntu is presented as a step toward the future of computing. Some shops will like to be associated with it.

I imagine the staff at Ubuntu HQ already know all this and have decided otherwise. It's their ball.

Simian Man
July 13th, 2010, 05:56 PM
For any major hardware/software company, even Canonical itself, shelling out cash to make a commercial would be fine.

Canonical is solely responsible for the Ubuntu rebrand (New logo + color scheme + site). They can save the money on advertising agencies/directors/actors, and have people within the company do them.

It only "would be fine" for a company to pay for advertisement if that ad would bring in more revenue than the cost of the ad. There is no reason at all to believe that that would be the case for Ubuntu or any other Linux distro.

chessnerd
July 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM
If you guys are all concerned about OEMs, then why not promote it by directing people to OEMs who do sell Linux computers, like Zareason, System76, and Dell?

Maybe even make a website for the commercials that explains the different ways to get Linux. Explain the download, burn, install option as being the Linux equivalent to buying the CD from the store so that it is in terms consumers understand. Also, direct them to websites that ship CDs for those with limited Internet access.

If you need a catchy website name, here are a couple I've checked and found are not in use:

linuxisawesome.com
thefutureislinux.com

Actually, Bing and Yahoo have put many advertisements on the TV for their free services. Google had a Super Bowl ad for Google search. Internet Explorer 8 has been running a series of ads since early June to try to keep their marketshare up.

Many free products are advertised for. Linux can be one more.

McRat
July 13th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Actually, Bing and Yahoo have put many advertisements on the TV for their free services. Google had a Super Bowl ad for Google search. Internet Explorer 8 has been running a series of ads since early June to try to keep their marketshare up.

Many free products are advertised for. Linux can be one more.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I see ads for browsers and search engines on a routine basis. "Best When Viewed With IE8", "You Need Safari To View This Page", "Try Google Chrome for Free", etc, etc.

Yahoo and Google advertised a LOT when they were young. Hundreds of millions.

DreamShardDev
July 13th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I'm guessing a lot of Ubuntu users are probably webmasters that said im sure a fair fraction of them are willing to put up some ubuntu advertisements on their website/blog, personally I'm willing to :)

A funny you-tube video that still conveys the message could also be very successful. Someone should start a competition for this

murderslastcrow
July 13th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Tons of Windows users download and burn their own Windows 7/XP isos, pirated. You know it. Many others buy a CD and install it.

Please trust me when I say installing Windows is a lot more problematic. It doesn't 'just work' worth a damn. However, I agree- we should get an OEM to promote it more openly, since that would further increase trust and viability in the minds of consumers.

I understand the sentiment that many don't find advertising or sharing Linux necessary for a variety of reasons.

I really hope you don't mind that I'm willing to use my own time and resources to do it anyway. I know a lot of people who would be much happier with their computers and save a lot of time and frustration if they knew how to get it.

Beyond Ubuntu being a good product, I think Windows has born far too much of its problems into the public's ideology of computers as a whole. People shouldn't have to put up with it.

If people can have their eyes opened, even only a few thousand more, I think it's worth it to spend some time on this, and try to get it in as visible a place as possible.

Again, I understand your sentiments thinking that this is unnecessary, but it's my source code, too. I hope it doesn't offend anyone that I want to promote it to help other people out.

Like I've said before, there's little research in this area of Linux, so it's impossible to say it will be effective or ineffective, and give the reasons before we've actually tested it.

The only difference between my unproven idea and your unproven idea is that mine seeks openness and exploration of something new. Yours is content to sit still as you make assumptions. Mine is seeking to build something new and interesting, and contribute as I make my assumptions.

Which sounds better?

murderslastcrow
July 13th, 2010, 11:38 PM
There have been many competitions, but a lot of them have produced sub-par ads.

I'm setting up a site to organize some ideas and refine them before producing the final ads so we have higher quality ones, rather than oddly slipshod fanmade ones. However, there are many good ones out there! Just none of them seem to focus on the OS itself and its use, or explicit benefits. They seem to just be very... maybe a bit too much story telling, without a lot of relevant information.

Or they just shoop Tux onto something and make a squeaky voice to try and impersonate him as a spokesman.

There is currently a Superbowl Linux Foundation ad contest, I believe, if you're interested.

http://video.linuxfoundation.org/contest/we-are-linux-superbowl-ad-contest

My criteria aim to bring a more focused concept to build your creative designs around, rather than abstract and somewhat confusing ads. Of course, we can place these ads everywhere, including these contests. Perhaps we could become less specific than Ubuntu, but we don't want it to be difficult for people to find the product and know where to go first. We don't want an ambiguous ad that refers a customer to several different places.

Again, without a tight focus, people will just ignore it.

KiwiNZ
July 13th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Before you begin to even create adverts you need to do extensive Market Research and that does not come cheap. After you have done the research and analyzed the results you need to plan your campaign to hit your target market, again market analysis does not come cheap.

Now you have reached the Ad production stage and that is where the big bucks is spent and if not spent the whole exercise is a complete waste of effort and money.

Right now , Canonical is better off spending the resources on getting Ubuntu right for its existing client base.

Merk42
July 14th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Before you begin to even create adverts you need to do extensive Market Research and that does not come cheap. After you have done the research and analyzed the results you need to plan your campaign to hit your target market, again market analysis does not come cheap.

Now you have reached the Ad production stage and that is where the big bucks is spent and if not spent the whole exercise is a complete waste of effort and money.I agree that it seems no one realizes just how expensive an advertising campaign is.

Right now , Canonical is better off spending the resources on getting Ubuntu right for its existing client base.
I agree, though it would be nice to know what specifically the goal would be. Making it 'perfect' is an unobtainable goal. I get the feeling sabdfl is almost like George Broussard with Duke Nukem; it'll never be good enough to move on to the next stage.

murderslastcrow
July 14th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I'm a designer. I can produce the ads by myself, while I'm still hoping people from the community can lend a creative hand. This could also help people to focus on creative software and artists within the community who've had nothing to do but make icon themes, wallpapers, and toolkit themes, and could use some more exposure.

You have to understand the quality of research. I worked for a research agency for a while, and a lot of that work was overpriced, but it gave the consumers confidence. We'll be taking a lot of these aspects into further scrutiny based on their relevance as time goes on, but the point is that we want something here rather than nothing. We'll want to do a good, professional job of it, and I expect people to critique these ads throughout the process to make them the best they can be.

Like I said, there are plenty of places willing to use these ads, and there are different price ranges. We don't have to go for the biggest spot outright, and we can use the same ads in different venues as we get up there.

I just want something good and professional. Even if it just means someone asks you what Ubuntu is- rather than explain it all and sound geeky, or point them to the website they might not want to read through (even though it's quite nice and has turned many users onto it), you can just show them the ad to pique their interest quickly and effectively.

Cam!
July 14th, 2010, 04:08 AM
I still think my commercial ideas are the best. They convey the message perfectly, and have the potential to be very low-budget, since the only things needed would be a Purple room (Chroma Key effect), and a computer desk.

The ideas I explained conveyed a lighthearted approach to explaining how simple and efficient Ubuntu is. When you make a commercial that has too much "meat" to it, the viewer loses track of what it's all about.

Austin25
July 14th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I think we need not advertise through usual means, such as TV or billboards, because people tend to ignore those. Even if you mention that it's free, people will think it's a scam. I think we need to have a month dedicated where Ubuntu fans burn and hand out large amounts of Live CDs. Also, we should to spread the word through social networking sites, and set it up like a chain letter.

stinger30au
July 14th, 2010, 07:18 AM
we can all do our own free advertising right now

just send an email to your local news paper "letters to the editor" section

i havent done this for some time now , however i used to do it regularly and all my letters were published

i basicaly put in there that i was using ubuntu linux with the web site and how it was free to download and copy and give away and it came with a free clone of microsoft office called open office, yada, yada, yada

you get the idea

if *EVERYONE* did this at least once to their local newspaper, it would reach millions of peoples eyes... for free!;)

slooksterpsv
July 14th, 2010, 07:34 AM
For a TV Commercial, here's what I would want to see - just to get the interest of people:

You see a sleek sexy computer sitting out there, black background, something so you know its going to be a "sexy" commercial. You can somewhat see what's on the screen, it quickly rotates around the monitor to the other side.

White text appears on the screen: What is it? How much? Where? - and fade.

Next it shows Ubuntu, being used, opening office documents, playing games, switching windows, showing off compiz, doing it quickly so the user gets to see it for 1-2 seconds then going to something else.

At the end it says, the Future is now, the future is Ubuntu - learn more at http://ubuntufuture.com/

Drenriza
July 14th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I must say from the get go, that i did not read a lot into the #1 post before i now post a reply.

I agree that Ubuntu 10.04 is really good. And advertising could be nice. But here is where my "issue" comes in play.

For the past 10-12 business days or so, i have tried to contact canonical to use the Ubuntu trademark for business purposes.

Distribution of Ubuntu
URL name.

(if this went good, i would move on to seek permissions for advertising & merchandise, and so on)

But so far all i have heard/read is an automatically generated e-mail. And i must say that i'm disappointed. This shows/tells me that canonical aren't interested in getting their product "out their" and is satisfied with where they are.

So i at this point don't really see a "need" for wide spread advertising, when the team "behind" the core of Ubuntu aren't interested.

Just to say, this is one persons opinion.

EDIT:
Anyways, if you make an add (that i believe you need to seek permissions to do, before you do it to avoid problems with canonical) and i personally like it. I would like to consider using it on my own (hopefully upcoming website if i get my permissions) website, as an add. Giving credits to its creator. I would like Ubuntu to be more available to people, and (through an add) make it interesting to users, so they would like to try it. Here Ubuntu has a market share of less than 2%

EDIT
What i would like to say regarding the add.

It needs to be catchy - interesting - grabbing - able to remember - understandable.
I want to be grabbed by it from the start. It should not "build up" and try to "wheel" me in at the end.
It should be interesting so i "feel" i want to tell others about it.
Easy to remember, so if i have forgotten where i did see it the 1'st time i can search my way to it with google / youtube.
Understandable so i don't (in the end) end up feeling this is way over my head to understand and use. Thus getting discouraged.

I did try to see this from a "normal" users perspective.

Stancel
July 14th, 2010, 11:04 AM
For a TV Commercial, here's what I would want to see - just to get the interest of people:

You see a sleek sexy computer sitting out there, black background, something so you know its going to be a "sexy" commercial. You can somewhat see what's on the screen, it quickly rotates around the monitor to the other side.

White text appears on the screen: What is it? How much? Where? - and fade.

Next it shows Ubuntu, being used, opening office documents, playing games, switching windows, showing off compiz, doing it quickly so the user gets to see it for 1-2 seconds then going to something else.

At the end it says, the Future is now, the future is Ubuntu - learn more at http://ubuntufuture.com/

Why direct people to "ubuntufuture.com" when you can just tell them to go to Ubuntu.com?

murderslastcrow
July 14th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I think that was just a part of his idea, a URL. I suggest we make use of as many materials available here. I think you all have some great ideas with the letters to the editor and 'chain letters' (please don't nag people with it telling them they'll have bad luck for five years if they don't forward it). I fully encourage you to send a link to these videos when they're completed with your messages!

If we had lots of outgoing users, I'd be all for a distribution distribution day ;). I'd suggest we find some place we could set up a computer for people to try out, though, at a decent public area, and hand out CDs after little 10 minute presentations followed by Q & A. Of course, you could just hand out CDs saying, "start your computer from this!" and hope they don't suspect you of spreading malware.

Of course, if we use the official Ubuntu CDs from the website, bought, then we are supporting Ubuntu and Canonical financially. :D Another good idea.

But yeah, I'm fine if Canonical doesn't take this on- they're getting in touch with their markets during the LTS, not blowing cash on advertising which may or may not be successful, as we've discussed. Like I said, the source code is mine, too- not the branding/trademarks, of course XD. Having a REAL AD in the first place is the main goal here, although we're taking as many ideas as possible.

whiskeylover
July 14th, 2010, 04:39 PM
GoDaddy style ads with a big breasted woman promoting Ubuntu in various everyday life situations.

murderslastcrow
July 14th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Best idea we've had so far- follows my criteria very closely. MAN, do we have boat loads of creativity up in here! XD

But seriously, that might work for some people :P.

KiwiNZ
July 14th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Take care not to place expectations above deliverability.

slooksterpsv
July 15th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Best idea we've had so far- follows my criteria very closely. MAN, do we have boat loads of creativity up in here! XD

But seriously, that might work for some people :P.

We are Linux, we are the future, we see the future, we are very creative =D - me personally may not be, but a lot of people are creative.

murderslastcrow
July 16th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I've been talking to some designers I know personally who are willing to pitch in on the side. Of course, it will take some time to produce these, but the site's almost together. If anyone knows of a good hosting package I should be aware of, suggestions would be nice.

Once everything's ready, I'll PM the people who seemed most interested and let them know where it's at, and see if I can't get some publicity through a few Ubuntu-oriented blogs.

Thanks everyone for your input thus far! Let's see what we can do.