PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New build software RAID 1+0 question...

focaccio
July 12th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Hello,

I'm just planning a new system that will have 4 or 5 SATA drives and I want to use RAID. The system will be a 64bit workstation and not a webserver. The mainboard will be an Intel DP55KG. I'd like to use RAID 1+0 and Ubuntu. How should I proceed? Does the Ubuntu server 10.04 ISO standard installer have an option for software RAID 1+0? What if I wanted to install the OS on one drive and add a 4 drive RAID 1+0 array after...is there a package or built-in tool to do that? Would the 4 drive RAID 1+0 array work independently of the one drive OS? For example, what if my one Ubuntu OS drive was in a removable bay and I put in an Ubuntu development OS drive into the bay...would the 4 drive RAID 1+0 still be available for read/write?

Thanks,
Greg

focaccio
July 16th, 2010, 12:51 AM
My guess is that since the code to control the software RAID would be part of the operating system [therefore on the OS drive], I couldn't swap operating system drives then use the same RAID.

I think I'll be aiming for hardware RAID. Something like an Adaptec 2405 RAID card. VMware ESX server is supported, so I could install Ubuntu inside that.