PDA

View Full Version : Tag Based File Browsing?

jesus.mor
July 12th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Is there a file browser that supports tagging?
Or a way to add tagging to nautilus?

Xianath
July 12th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Dolphin and Finder :) That said, aren't emblems in Nautilus supposed to do the same? Or do you have some other type of tagging in mind, eg. media tagging (in which case I should also include Windows Explorer in the list)?

zekopeko
July 12th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Is there a file browser that supports tagging?
Or a way to add tagging to nautilus?

Once tracker is more tightly integrated into Gnome/Nautilus it will be possible.

NightwishFan
July 12th, 2010, 09:52 AM
With the new focus on zeitgeist in gnome3 (no not gnome shell!), I believe things like this are planned. The concept is called the semantic desktop, and KDE already has it implemented. It is a feature I probably will not use much regardless. :)

Åtta
July 12th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I've been trying to find a solution for this myself. There are applications such as tracker, beagle and zeitgeist that do it to some degree, but none of them are yet nicely integrated into Nautilus - which in my mind defeats the purpose. I'm really looking forward to seeing Zeitgeist fully integrated with Nautilus. Maybe that will solve all the problems I've been having with trying to organize my files.

donato roque
July 12th, 2010, 05:36 PM
+1 @Atta

the situation is dire when you look at how photos and images are filed or tagged by specific applications such as f-spot and shotwell. It's a mess.

alexan
July 12th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I can't believe we've reached Terabyte as "common basis" and everything should be managed "as tree" ("The Internet" left the tree long time ago)
Looks like we must wait that Apple or Microsoft make the new rule, that's pretty strange.. I would expect that tag-filesystem would born in thanks to OpenSource community.
Anyway, here's the ignored idea

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/9560/image/2/ (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/9560/)

FuturePilot
July 12th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Once tracker is more tightly integrated into Gnome/Nautilus it will be possible.

Unfortunately they've been saying that for years. :(