PDA

View Full Version : DuckDuckGo - an interesting alternative to Google for search.

murderslastcrow
July 12th, 2010, 03:23 AM
http://duckduckgo.com is a search engine built entirely on open technologies, and doesn't track you in any way, as some would suggest Google does. The interface looks very clean, fast, and navigable, although it does provide information a bit differently than most search engines. It's like a mashup of a wiki and a search engine, and it also has links to other search sites' references based on your data rather than building an entirely new service for maps, services, images, etc.

I rather like it, and I'll be watching its progress. Feel free to research it, and if you have, what have you learned about it? What do you think- is it a viable alternative?

witeshark17
July 12th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Seems like a cool alternative.. thanks for sharing :popcorn:

murderslastcrow
July 13th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Lol- no problem. I hope it continues to improve. I'm thinking of switching to it, although I quite like Google anyway. DuckDuckGo does give good results, and contextual/related items than in many cases bring me to a lot of information I'd like rather than just clear cut results by themselves. Kinda' reminds me of StumbleUpon, just faster. It'll be neat to see where they go.

v1ad
July 13th, 2010, 05:21 AM
awesome results. not sure if ill switch, (google fan here) but i will definitely be using it time 2 time.

jerenept
July 13th, 2010, 06:05 AM
excellent, excellent... i like it already (even more than cuil.com, which is offline now)

MasterNetra
July 13th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Been using it myself, learned of it today thanks to Linuxtoday.com

EarthMind
July 13th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I've been using it for a while myself and like it so much that it has become my primary search engine. I like how it integrates with stackoverflow but I dislike how I need to scroll to the bottom sometimes to get to the wikipedia link of a search term. They could really need some improvement on that part.

giddyup306
July 13th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Neat! I need to ween myself off the Google if at all possible. I'm going to turn that into my homepage. :)

Giant Speck
July 13th, 2010, 09:35 AM
It's minimal, yes, but not always very clean-looking:

1. The margins are too big.
2. When it recognizes that your search criteria could mean more than one thing, it says so by taking up a good chunk of the page, much like a Wikipedia disambiguation page, only with much larger text and annoying thumbnails.
3. I find the sidebar to be a bit annoying and somewhat unhelpful.

cHayanKs
July 13th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Clear Look huh.... That's very useful.. but yeah.. I prefer google coz have a lots of Fitur there....:p

murderslastcrow
July 13th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Sweeeet. Yeah, we should support them by mentioning some of the things they could improve. I think it's nice to see a different kind of search engine, but one that still retains its general usefulness by not going too far over the top.