PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Can. t Install Xubuntu 10.04 AMD64

tootlet
July 12th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Greetings,
I've spent a frustrating afternoon trying to install Xubuntu 10.04 x64. I had already installed Win7 Pro 64, and have been attempting to install on a separate hard drive. It wouldn't even boot into Xubuntu install. Figured a bad burn on the Cd so I reburned the image I had down loaded using Ktorrent. It wouldn't boot either. I swapped out the DVD burner. Still no go. Redownloaded using Ktorrent including the torrent. Wouldn't boot into the installer. I did a fresh burn. Still it wouldn't boot to the installer. I then downloaded Xubuntu again but from a mirror and not using Ktorrent. Good MD5SUM. Burned it again on another computer. Still wouldn't boot into the installer. I burned a copy of Kubuntu 10.04 x64 and it installed with no difficulty. I've installed Xubuntu 10.04 x86 several times on other computers win no difficulty. But I have 8 Gb of RAM on this machine and want to use Xubuntu 64. Any suggestions? Thanks,

T

mikewhatever
July 12th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Could be incompatible hardware. Have you ever installed a linux distro on that machine? What are the specs?

tootlet
July 12th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hi Mike,
As stated in my original post, after scratching my head nearly bald I tried Kubuntu instead. It installed normally.

Specs are:
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
AMD Phenom II x 4 940 3.0 Ghz
Artic Cooling CPU heatsink/fan
Muskin XP2-8500 8 Gb
Powercolor HD 4650
WD cavier Blue 320 (for Win7 Pro)
Seagate 250 Gb hd for Linux
Lite-On DVD burner

Kubuntu runs fine. I just like Xubuntu as I run it on older machines too and like to keep the lappies and desktops the same.

Thanks,
Tom