PDA

View Full Version : Getting into Linux careers?

illconcepts
July 11th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I have been using linux for the past couple of years and i really enjoy learning and using it. I want to make it into a career and I am just curious to see what everyone here thinks are the right steps to take. Looking at job postings i notice it is mainly certs that they look for.

Books I have bought and currently reading:

*How linux works
*Novell Press Linux Kernel Development
*Linux Bible 2010

What other books can you suggest? What classes? What certs should i study for?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

mörgæs
July 11th, 2010, 11:47 PM
A good self-study is answering questions in this forum. One learns a lot by doing so.

jflaker
July 11th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I have been using linux for the past couple of years and i really enjoy learning and using it. I want to make it into a career

....SNIPPED
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Most new jobs will not come from large, established companies - they will come from entrepreneurs and small business. Rather than working on your resume, work on your dream and vision. - Sam Crowley

In other words, if you have a hobby you really enjoy, work on a way to monetize it and maybe you can be the next "Big Company".

Bringing new life into old systems owned by non-profits...Saving them $1000's or even more can be the difference between doing their next project or putting it off.

DansGuardian and IPCop - Set up network filtering for churches and other organization and give them the ability to filter their internet traffic (inbound and outboud)....

There is SO MUCH you can do.

tjwoosta
July 12th, 2010, 12:50 AM
RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer) is probably the best bet for linux certifications.

McRat
July 12th, 2010, 01:01 AM
There are a lot of Fortune 500's requiring Linux experience for new IT personnel.

IBM, Google, and even Microsoft have opening for experienced Linux people. Yes, 91 available jobs at MS require Linux knowledge.

Heck, Microsoft is even hiring people to specifically stop Linux deployments:

https://careers.microsoft.com/JobDetails.aspx?ss=&pg=0&so=&rw=1&jid=20409&jlang=EN

FuturePilot
July 12th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Don't put too much stock in books. They can only teach you so much. The rest you learn from actually doing it.

NMFTM
July 12th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Linux is primarily a server OS. Why not go to school for networking?

kevin11951
July 12th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Linux is primarily a server OS. Why not go to school for networking?

Even at schools for networking/servers/etc... They teach you Cisco/Microsoft products and that’s pretty much it.

At least here, by me, that's how it is...

Xianath
July 12th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Even at schools for networking/servers/etc... They teach you Cisco/Microsoft products and that’s pretty much it.

But of course they will! The whole point behind Cisco academy is to teach you how to do things with Cisco hardware so when you get an IT job and have to set up a datacenter, you will only be able to recommend that solution. I know some senior network admins who declare something impossible if it can't done with Cisco, even though it's half a dozen lines in Linux or *BSD. I'm not saying it's bad, in fact I recommend getting a CCNA if you can, but keep your mind open to other solutions, question your tutors whenever they say something can't be done, and search online for solutions. The Networking section of this forum is a great start and lartc.org, though old, is as valid as ever (but things are configured much more simply now).

There's a saying here that goes something like, "If one could learn by watching, the dog would be a butcher." Read, but also do. Like others said, answering questions on these forums is the best way. I know from personal experience that the most I've learned in my career was during my time in tech support, solving other people's problems.

samalex
July 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM
There are a lot of Fortune 500's requiring Linux experience for new IT personnel.

IBM, Google, and even Microsoft have opening for experienced Linux people. Yes, 91 available jobs at MS require Linux knowledge.

Heck, Microsoft is even hiring people to specifically stop Linux deployments:

https://careers.microsoft.com/JobDetails.aspx?ss=&pg=0&so=&rw=1&jid=20409&jlang=EN

I read the requirements, and that thing is funny!

Build ‘Compete Muscle’ Across Your Area. The CSI Lead owns ensuring that the region and subs are fully ready to compete against Linux and FOSS. This includes everything from training to being the subject matter expertise, where needed. à Ability to diagnose a market share problem, find root causes and pull together a team that will PLAN / DO / CHECK / ACT in the right direction.

audiomick
July 12th, 2010, 02:47 PM
As far as learning goes, disregarding formal education, I have learnt the most here on the forums. I read the threads, help if I can, and follow any that interest me to see what the solution was if I can't help.

illconcepts
July 12th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Networking does interest me, I think i will pursue that. I am planning on building a home server next week so that should get me somewhat started .

Thanks again!

Crunchy the Headcrab
July 12th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I'm reading up on Linux right now too. My major at school is Information Technology. I've found that it's hard to get "the dream job" without starting at the bottom of the totem pole -- so don't be afraid to do tasks well below your knowledge level. Show that you're competent and move right on up that ladder.

Shakz
July 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I have been making my money from linux officially since 2000. I took my current job with the understanding that I would be in front of a terminal all day. Its really exactly what I wanted and I am very happy doing it.
99.9% of my day uses a simple set of skills.

Editing config files (vi)
Stopping and starting processes (greping procs and killing them then restarting. I have made a lot of scripts to do this for me if AD has not provided them with the application.)
Searching logs (greping logs for errors, finding them, correcting the error)
Basic installs, copying binaries and editing softdefs creating symlinks etc...

I would say if you can do these things then your qualified to work at the enterprise level in an application support role. Nearly every major buisness uses gnu/linux or some sort of nix.
I consider the above to be a very very basic set of nix skills that will get you started. You will really have to get in there and fix stuff to gather up the application specific skills but its what you will need to start.

Its worth noting that with this job and my past job I was not asked for any linux certifications. In both cases I was drilled on commands I would use to correct a problem. So getting a certification isnt really necessary unless the cert is free and something you just want to hang on your wall.

If your looking for something in the SA role then disregard this post. Go hang out in the general issues forum for a few months ;)

flanagan
July 13th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I imagined myself sitting in an interview at MS with the person who wrote that job description. I would be very hard-pressed not to projectile vomit.

I mean really: "Establish, nurture and leverage key local industry and influential relationship to drive long-term positive impact across key objectives."

How many (grammatically incorrect) words does it take to say absolutely nothing?

kevin11951
July 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I imagined myself sitting in an interview at MS with the person who wrote that job description. I would be very hard-pressed not to projectile vomit.

I mean really: "Establish, nurture and leverage key local industry and influential relationship to drive long-term positive impact across key objectives."

How many (grammatically incorrect) words does it take to say absolutely nothing?

"Establish, nurture and leverage key local industry and influential relationship to drive long-term positive impact across key objectives."

Translation:

Blackmail/Brow-nose businesses into using Microsoft products at all costs. Preferably via creating "relationships" with the owners and then abusing the privilege.

At least that is my translation, but then again, I am a pessimist.