PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gui Login fails in 10.04 but TTY login works.

Eycks
July 11th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I installed 10.04 on my pc. I also have 9.08 and XP installed. Both work. The 10.04 gui login screen displays and asks for the password. I enter the password. The screen goes blank but after a few seconds the gui login box re appears and again asks for a login. I rebooted into the TTY, created a new user, checked the new user was in in /etc/passwd and that I could get into the new user's account. When I rebooted into the gui the new user was there and I entered the password but again I just got back to the gui login window. The pc I am using is at least 5 years old. I have tried startx and I do get the gui background but no controls are displayed. I am using 32 bit 10.04. Using the TTY I have uploaded all the current fixes.

alexshr
July 11th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I once had the similar problem, then the problem was due to compiz. The solution that worked me was to remove compiz & ubuntu-desktop from the system and re-install ubuntu-desktop only.

Hope this helps you.

Eycks
July 13th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I tried what you suggested but it did not work. I used aptitude from the command line "--with-recommends" which I think reinstalled compiz. I made sure that compiz was removed. The behaviour is the same as before. Any other ideas?

avi007tokade
February 3rd, 2011, 06:56 AM
I know this is old thread but I also faced this same problem and I solved that issue with following steps.

1) Press Ctrl + alt + F2
2) Login in termainal with same details
3) # sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
4) There are some corrupt pakages in ubuntu-desktop and giving this issue.
# sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
and I found Evolution mail client 3 package corrupted and after that command packages got reinstalled and I am successfully able to login now.

I hope someone get this info useful. ):P