PDA

View Full Version : Are we going to get KDE 4.5 RC 2 for 10.04?

s1300045
July 11th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Not trying to be obnoxious and inpatient, but I just can't wait for the RC 2 packages to come out anymore. I am using RC 1 and absolutely love it! The thing is the system does hang from time to time, and there are glitches with the system tray all the time. Which comes to my second question, is anyone also experiencing random crashes with only the mouse remaining responsive? I can't figure out if I want to stick with the beta ppa just a little bit longer or go back to 4.4! :)

Xianath
July 11th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I can get about 5 minutes out of RC1 before it crashes back to the login screen. I'll try it on raw iron next week, but so far I'm not impressed with the quality. I did manage to get a reproducible crash in Kopete and reported it, debug backtrace and all, but it's hard to test further when the entire DE dies so often :(

I'll give RC2 a try when packages come out.

kellemes
July 11th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Isn't this working?
http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/07/install-or-upgrade-to-latest-kde-sc-45.html

s1300045
July 11th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Never mind... I just checked the launchpad page and it seems the packages are building... hooray! :P

murderslastcrow
July 11th, 2010, 10:22 AM
It seems the sudden "freezing" of everything but the mouse has been an issue with many people. I think it's a known bug related to the X server. I apologize for being too lazy to find it, but it's real, and occurs for about five seconds at a time on SOME computers. Many don't experience this issue at all. So far as I know it's been fixed, but it was there for a while- I assume you're fully updated.

I thought Kubuntu 10.04 uses 4.4.2 or something like that? Depending on whatever package you're using for KDE 4.5 RC 1, you will most likely get RC 2 when that repository updates. Where are you getting it from?

s1300045
July 11th, 2010, 10:57 AM
murderslastcrow

I thought it could be a xserver thing too! But I have been too lazy to figure that one out either... To be honest I feel like my system has gotten less stable ever since 10.04... the thing is I can't tell whether it's the xserver, qt, nividia driver, or kde itself...

hey! I am only a user! :)

Yes, kubuntu 10.04 comes with KDE 4.4 as default. I use the beta testing repo from the kubuntu team to get my updates. You can find the instruction here (http://www.kubuntu.org/node/157) and the launchpad page is here (https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/beta).

I hope they've fixed most of the quirks already!

oobuntoo
July 11th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Isn't this working?
http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/07/install-or-upgrade-to-latest-kde-sc-45.html

I wouldn't try to update to the RC2 just yet. I tried & got all kinds of broken packages and dependency problems. Wait until there's an announcement on kubuntu.org.

neoargon
July 11th, 2010, 11:19 AM
The devs must be enjoying akademy

NormanFLinux
July 11th, 2010, 04:12 PM
You're testing a beta. Don't expect it to be free of glitches and bugs. Once the final is released, it'll be ready for mainstream users. All of this takes time. I really like where KDE is going. When it came out in 1999, it was just a wee baby. Now its right up there rivaling MacOSX in usability and polish. Give it time.

Xianath
July 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM
You're testing a beta. Don't expect it to be free of glitches and bugs. Once the final is released, it'll be ready for mainstream users. All of this takes time. I really like where KDE is going. When it came out in 1999, it was just a wee baby. Now its right up there rivaling MacOSX in usability and polish. Give it time.

I beg to differ. This is an RC, it's supposed to be close to RTM quality. I don't mind testing it even if it has bugs, and the KDE bug reporting system makes it really easy to do so, but crashing out to login every five minutes? It's not even a beta, it's a nightly build. Let's hope RC2 brings more stability. I like KDE, I just wish mainstream Dell desktops didn't have crappy Intel video cards in them...

isaacj87
July 11th, 2010, 05:59 PM
To be fair, we have to realize that even when KDE 4.5 hits final, it still has to be packaged correctly. I'm trying out openSUSE 11.3 RC2 with KDE 4.4.4 and it's rock solid. More solid than trying to use 4.4 from their repos on openSUSE 11.2.

TheNessus
July 11th, 2010, 06:14 PM
do not test KDE4.5 on ubuntu. try a KDE-oriented distro, like openSUSE or Fedora.

neoargon
July 11th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Though KUbuntu may not be as good as Ubuntu , it's the best kde distro in terms of usability and ease of use .

inobe
July 11th, 2010, 07:17 PM
currently i have kubuntu 10.04 with platform Version 4.4.5 (KDE 4.4.5).

i don't experience any trouble, i have kde's factory repo enabled so i get them as they are released.

s1300045
July 11th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I really only have myself to blame. Using unreleased software on production system is foolish even if it's the final RC. I know this very well, and I can't help it! :P

People keep saying kubuntu is bad, but just how bad is it? I actually like the vanilla setting. I really feel like there is not a distro that fits the niche market of 1) easy to configure/install, 2) KDE oriented schedule, 3) minimal tweaking from the dev verion, and 4) stability. Kubuntu, at least this is what I believe, satisfies at least 1, 3, and 4. I am not going to lie, the fact that I started out with ubuntu has a lot to do with my preference, but it is also true that I haven't found another product that is attractive enough to make me switch.

Or is it because I need to do more googling?

TheNessus
July 11th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I really only have myself to blame. Using unreleased software on production system is foolish even if it's the final RC. I know this very well, and I can't help it! :P

People keep saying kubuntu is bad, but just how bad is it? I actually like the vanilla setting. I really feel like there is not a distro that fits the niche market of 1) easy to configure/install, 2) KDE oriented schedule, 3) minimal tweaking from the dev verion, and 4) stability. Kubuntu, at least this is what I believe, satisfies at least 1, 3, and 4. I am not going to lie, the fact that I started out with ubuntu has a lot to do with my preference, but it is also true that I haven't found another product that is attractive enough to make me switch.

I prefer Kubuntu's package installer, be it apt-get or Kubuntu's kpackage. I really HATE openSUSE's YASTII and Zypper... however, I find little usability differences between openSUSE and Kubutu; the main differences is simply that openSUSE has far less bugs, and the thing feels more stable. Had not had any crashes with it, as opposed to Kubuntu. No memory leaks, as opposed to Kubuntu. all the rest is the same... both are KDE, afterall.

inobe
July 11th, 2010, 08:46 PM

maybe i'm being selfish when i type this, i don't need this ease of use stuff and minimal tweaking, i don't want anyone to hold my hand and i won't call someone because it doesn't work.

what market are you referring to, would that be the server market ?

s1300045
July 11th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Well, when I said "the market" I guess I was referring to a group of like minded people with similar demand for a particular solution. In this case, I guess it would early adopters who have the knowledge but not necessary the time, aka the lazy hipsters.

I am stretching the stuff I've learned in classes here. I know nothing. openSUSE looks really cool, but it only release stable version every 8 months... I am open to opinions. :P

By the way, I just did the update and now I am running RC 2. Unfortunately, it still crashed when I was playing a game in wine. It also seems to happen when I open too many windows and switch/resize them, or have multiple gtk and flash programs running at the same time. It's hard to pinpoint and reproduce the crash because it's so random... I can have the system running for days without problem, and suddenly it hangs when I watch a video in smplayer... Sounds like a memory leak in xserver?

inobe
July 11th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Well, when I said "the market" I guess I was referring to a group of like minded people with similar demand for a particular solution. In this case, I guess it would early adopters who have the knowledge but not necessary the time, aka the lazy hipsters.

I am stretching the stuff I've learned in classes here. I know nothing. openSUSE looks really cool, but it only release stable version every 8 months... I am open to opinions. :P

By the way, I just did the update and now I am running RC 2. Unfortunately, it still crashed when I was playing a game in wine. It also seems to happen when I open too many windows and switch/resize them, or have multiple gtk and flash programs running at the same time. It's hard to pinpoint and reproduce the crash because it's so random... I can have the system running for days without problem, and suddenly it hangs when I watch a video in smplayer... Sounds like a memory leak in xserver?

review all your logs in /var/log/

jot down the times these things happen in the future and search for that occurrence paying mind to the timestamps.

get a launchpad or bugzilla account and release that information.

http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports

sandyd
July 11th, 2010, 09:38 PM
using rc2 here as well (on gentoo), however, not experiencing described mouse freezes?

Untitled_No4
July 11th, 2010, 10:00 PM
RC 1 and I guess RC 2 as well have an issue with the Blur effect on some graphic cards. The first thing I'd try to do if I were you is to disable this effect and log out and back in and see if it works better.

TheNessus
July 11th, 2010, 10:14 PM

well, openSUSE 11.3 comes out in just 3 days. It's with 4.4.4. as default but you can obviously install 4.5 over it.

s1300045
July 11th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I turned off the blur effect but it still crashed. This time I was trying to watch a youtube video in konqueror using webkit part. I heard of the problems with blur effect before but I doubt it's the cause. Everything freezes excpet the mouse. I took a look a /var/log/ but couldn't figure out which one I should be paying attention to... everything looks normal. I am thinking maybe I need the debug packages?

openSUSE sounds really tempting... especially after reading this success story of switching to the open source radeon driver (http://vizzzion.org/blog/2010/06/epic-moment-free-and-fast-graphics-at-last/). I might make a switch again soon... :P

murderslastcrow
July 12th, 2010, 03:26 AM
It's important to mention that that 'freezing' bug has been encountered on ATi and NVidia cards, as well as Gnome and KDE. However, the Intel drivers don't seem to produce the issue much. It sounds like that X Server leak they supposedly fixed around release not quite having gone away.

Hopefully no one has to go back to Karmic over this, but it's still pretty stupid to have a bug like that. Not really putting on a good show for those new users.

inobe
July 12th, 2010, 03:29 AM
RC 1 and I guess RC 2 as well have an issue with the Blur effect on some graphic cards. The first thing I'd try to do if I were you is to disable this effect and log out and back in and see if it works better.

opensuse directions

in rc2 you need to blacklist the nouveau driver if you use an nvidia card.

the driver seems to be built into the kernel, you need to install some packages first because later you will need to manually install the driver from nvidia's site.

install

kernel-source

kernel syms

make

gcc

blacklist the nouveau driver by editing /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf at the bottom of the file add the line.

blacklist nouveau

now edit /boot/grub/menu.lst add the line.

nomodeset

It will end up looking similar

title Desktop -- openSUSE 11.3 - 2.6.34-12
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-12-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3500418AS_5VM7KQVF-part2 nomodeset resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3500418AS_5VM7KQVF-part1 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x31a
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.34-12-desktop

reboot machine when done and type 3 in the boot menu then hit enter.

when you get to runlevel 3 cli login as root, type root then password.

cd to the directory of the downloaded nvidia driver.

sh NV<tab> enter

hitting tab completes the line so you can move along quickly given you cd to the correct directory.

at the end of the driver installation, be sure to let it configure xorg to use the driver.

when it's all finished, type reboot.

you should be running a genuine nvidia 3d proprietary driver.

edit: directions are specific to opensuse, i take no responsibility for mishaps, bruce gets full credit.

s1300045
July 12th, 2010, 03:20 PM
murderslastcrow

Ouch! So that means this is not going to get fixed 'till 10.10? It sounds like a major problem. Is there a fix or a launchpad page?

inobe

It seems nouveau is blacklisted by default at least on my machine, and I don't have problem with the blur effect. I guess I will switch to openSUSE when it releases since downgrading KDE is just as much work :)

inobe
July 13th, 2010, 01:25 AM
murderslastcrow

inobe

It seems nouveau is blacklisted by default at least on my machine, and I don't have problem with the blur effect. I guess I will switch to openSUSE when it releases since downgrading KDE is just as much work :)

slap it on a second drive and put the other on a shelf somewhere.

http://counter.opensuse.org/11.3/large.png

inobe
July 15th, 2010, 01:10 AM
kde came a long way

inobe
July 16th, 2010, 01:37 AM
seems like no one agrees ?

it certainly has came a long way, oh my' especially with 3d affects.

back in the days it was 2d or nothing at all.

s1300045
July 16th, 2010, 01:18 PM
seems like no one agrees ?

it certainly has came a long way, oh my' especially with 3d affects.

back in the days it was 2d or nothing at all.

haha... I believe a lot of us here didn't start linux untill ubuntu+compiz makes it popular, at least that's the case when I started.

I just installed opensuse and I am loving it! It does seem a lot quicker and responsive!

by the way... the nividia xserver crash seems to persist...

inobe
July 18th, 2010, 09:16 AM
haha... I believe a lot of us here didn't start linux untill ubuntu+compiz makes it popular, at least that's the case when I started.

I just installed opensuse and I am loving it! It does seem a lot quicker and responsive!

by the way... the nividia xserver crash seems to persist...

i truly believe you have a nouveua driver unless you manually blacklist as described above.

this nouveua driver built into the kernel has caused problems, it's intentions were to make things easier for new end users, i think the affects are completely opposite.

s1300045
July 18th, 2010, 05:45 PM
i truly believe you have a nouveua driver unless you manually blacklist as described above.

this nouveua driver built into the kernel has caused problems, it's intentions were to make things easier for new end users, i think the affects are completely opposite.

I have added that line in my blacklist.conf as instructed. I am desperately searching for a solution now...

s1300045
July 22nd, 2010, 05:27 PM
To keep you updated. I've come to believe the problem I am having is hardware related. My graphic card is three years old and have been running with a broken fan for a while :)

inobe
July 23rd, 2010, 01:55 AM
To keep you updated. I've come to believe the problem I am having is hardware related. My graphic card is three years old and have been running with a broken fan for a while :)

i was going to suggest a hardware issue, glad you opened up the case to notice, obviously it's overheating, can you get a replacement fan or clean the one you have to get it rotating again ?

running kde 4.5 btw on opensuse 11.3 with some funky icon set, ignore the icons :lol:

system settings is way more expanded, so far the system is very stable.