PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Can't Handle the Heat of Summer

chessnerd
July 11th, 2010, 03:51 AM
According to NetMarketshare (http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=1&sample=30), Internet Explorer is gaining marketshare at the expense of Firefox. Evidently, in May and June, IE's share went up by nearly 1.5%. The site guesses that this is due to Microsoft's IE8 marketing campaign, but since that started in June it doesn't explain the gains IE made in May.

I began to wonder what might be causing IE to gain back nearly 1.5% of its former marketshare?

Then it hit me:

A lot of schools, including my former public school system and college, encourage the use of Firefox for web browsing. It is possible that Firefox could be taking an artificial hit, because these school computers are not in use during the summer.

At first, I was skeptical of my hypothesis, but then I went back a year on that site (http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=1&sample=30&qptimeframe=M&qpsp=120&qpnp=12) and, to my surprise, also found dip in Firefox marketshare starting in May 2009 that grows back suddenly in September. The May dip is also accompanied by a boost in IE marketshare.

So, it appears that students and teachers use Firefox at school, then come home over the summer and use Internet Explorer on their family computers.

If my theory is correct, Firefox's share should grow back some in September and November at the expense of IE. We'll just have to wait and see... :)

Ocxic
July 11th, 2010, 05:30 AM
you also have to keep in mind that # of Firefox browsers in use will drop over the summer, Artificially raising the percentage that IE holds.

It's not so much that people are using IE at home during the summer, but that there are less computers running Firefox at that time.

Merk42
July 11th, 2010, 05:37 AM
...It's not so much that people are using IE at home during the summer, but that there are less computers running Firefox at that time.Why would there be less computers running Firefox during the summer?

Mr. Picklesworth
July 11th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Why would there be less computers running Firefox during the summer?

Fewer running computers running Firefox ;)

McRat
July 11th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I think it's pretty amazing the Firefox has such a large installed base when you consider over 95% of computers sold have another browser already installed on them at purchase.

It does say something ...

Paqman
July 11th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I would imagine the growth in Chrome use is largely coming at the expense of Firefox, which explains where at least some of the Firefox users are going. People who've already switched away from IE to Firefox are probably more likely to try Chrome than the folks who've never left IE.

murderslastcrow
July 11th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah, Firefox is a ridiculous success story. Maybe if we used Wubi as the next easy to install Windows program to take over 25 percent of users things would get a little crazy.

After all, it means you can install OpenOffice, Firefox, and the most effective antivirus in the world all at once, with many more additions. :D It's like a software family pack!

But seriously, Firefox 4 is actually pretty good already. If I weren't using rekonq and didn't hate using Gnome applications in KDE, I'd probably 'go back'.

Half-Left
July 11th, 2010, 11:23 AM
It's just a flash in the pan peek for IE. IE9 preview is being tested and people may want to try it out. No doubt it will be pushed though Windows Update on final release, which might peek usage more.

IE is a dead duck anyway, since no one other than Windows users, use it.

Paqman
July 11th, 2010, 11:53 AM
IE is a dead duck anyway, since no one other than Windows users, use it.

And we all know what an insignificant minority Windows users are!

Half-Left
July 11th, 2010, 12:43 PM
And we all know what an insignificant minority Windows users are!

It's a worthless piece of software to everyone else. Who doesn't make crossplaform software now days? IE has the best share because of Window's monopoly, not because it's a good crossplatform and standards' compliant browser. :p

Frogs Hair
July 11th, 2010, 03:09 PM
IE 8 is default in Windows 7 and due many buying Windows they are also activating IE 8 . This will level off over time .

Merk42
July 11th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Fewer running computers running Firefox ;)
Why though? Because they are outside instead of at the computer? Why wouldn't that also apply to IE, Safari, etc?

chessnerd
July 11th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Why though? Because they are outside instead of at the computer? Why wouldn't that also apply to IE, Safari, etc?

My theory in the OP was that it is because computers at schools often run Firefox. The computers at my schools have for the last five or six years. So, without these computers being used, their are fewer websites being visited from Firefox.

I regularly used Firefox in high school and use it now on the computers at my university, however, I prefer Opera when on my personal computer. So, over the summer, I don't run Firefox, while during the school year I did. This contributes to a lower marketshare for Firefox. Figure in the number of people in the same situation and it becomes a significant dip.

My assumption is that this is the case for most students. And since the majority of users use IE at home, it will see a larger boost in marketshare than the other competing browsers.

doorknob60
July 11th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah, maybe the whole school thing is why. My school has macs, but both Safari and Firefox are installed (and the icons are sitting next to each other on the dock). I've noticed there about 60% of people use Safari, and about 40% use Firefox (I do). Many people go home and use other browsers (like IE). I usually use Chromium at home, but Firefox is my #2 (and sometimes I make it my default for a while). Take away hundreds of people using Firefox just at one school, there goes some marketshare.