PDA

View Full Version : C++ array length

l3ecl
July 11th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Well why would you limit your array to a specified amount of characters? For instance why would you write:
char string[7] = "abc123";
when you could write:
char string[] = "abc123";
in the second example you don't have to worry about how many characters your text string is - it just seem simpler. However, I would imagine there is a reason why you would want to code like the first example I just don't know what that reason is. Could someone please kindly explain.

schauerlich
July 11th, 2010, 02:25 AM
In this example you're using C arrays. C arrays are nothing more than a chunk of contiguous memory, and that memory must be allocated to your program. You have specify how much memory you want, ie how long you want your array to be. if you're used to something like python with dynamically resizing lists, that uses some dynamic allocation which is probably above your level right now. If you want to look into it more, google malloc.

If you want a container that is very similar to a C array, but which automatically resizes itself when necessary, look into std::vector.

EDIT: also, your two examples are NOT the same. The first makes a char array (as in, both the pointer and the memory it's pointing to) on the stack which is initialized to that string, whereas the second makes a char pointer on the stack, which points to a readonly part of memory that contains the string you specify. (2nd edit, I was confusing char *string and char string[], see edit in post #4)

l3ecl
July 11th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I still don't get why any1 would put a value between the two brackets: [ ], because it just seems simpler NOT to.

also are you sure string[] (as opposed to string[7]) is put into a read only part of the memory? because the variables aren't acting like constants as i was able to edit them:

char string[] = "hello reddit";
cout << string << endl;
char *ptr = string;
*ptr = 'H';
ptr = ptr+1;
*ptr = 'E';
ptr = ptr+1;
*ptr = 'L';
ptr = ptr+1;
*ptr = 'L';
ptr = ptr+1;
*ptr = 'O';

cout << string << endl;

1st cout: "hello reddit"
after modifcation
2nd cout: "HELLO reddit"

schauerlich
July 11th, 2010, 02:49 AM
It's possible I'm wrong about the readonly part, I'm not entirely sure. Anyways, the reason someone might want to specify a length is if they want the char array to be longer than the string that they start it off with, because they plan on changing it.

EDIT: my confusion with the readonly thing is that char *string and char string[] are not equivalent. The first makes a pointer to a readonly string (try it - the program will crash) and the second will work.

lisati
July 11th, 2010, 02:59 AM
The use of the two forms is very different.

Assuming you're not using dynamically allocated memory, where you can have some freedom resizing:

The first situation is when you anticipate changing the contents of the array as part of the normal running of the program, and you need to make sure that sufficient room for the longest/largest possible value your program is likely to encounter is available.

The second is when the contents of the array is unlikely to change. The compiler can set aside "just enough" according to the values it knows about.

schauerlich
July 11th, 2010, 03:03 AM
The use of the two forms is very different.

Assuming you're not using dynamically allocated memory, where you can have some freedom resizing:

The first situation is when you anticipate changing the contents of the array as part of the normal running of the program, and you need to make sure that sufficient room for the longest/largest possible value your program is likely to encounter is available.

The second is when the contents of the array is unlikely to change. The compiler can set aside "just enough" according to the values it knows about.

+1, sorry for any confusion I may have caused. :)