PDA

View Full Version : Tablets bound to swype the market?

BuffaloX
July 11th, 2010, 12:58 AM
With this new technology, one of the biggest drawbacks of the tablet may even become a strength.
The touch screen keyboard using this new interesting technology for typing.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/reviews/2010/07/hands-on-swype-keyboard-for-android-is-sweeptastic.ars

Tablets have 3 major drawbacks as I see it:
1: Small screen
2: Limited CPU power
3: Lack of real keyboard

1: The accelerometer and camera could facilitate practical and efficient use of bigger virtual screens.
2: New Arm processors combined with Linux scalability works well.
3: Swype could prove to be just as efficient as standard keyboards for most users. Maybe even better.

And then you have all the well known advantages:
Ultra portable.
Low price.
Long battery life.
PixelQI screens for outdoor use, even in sunlight.
One hand operation.

I think Linux has a chance of a huge succeess in this market, as with Netbooks in the beginning, and this time Windows isn't even an option, I think tablets are going to be huge, bigger than netbooks.

cj.surrusco
July 11th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I like the idea of the Swype typing, and it is a great improvement over the the conventional touch screen input method, but still won't beat typing with two hands on a keyboard for me. If it works for others, good for them, but typing on a notebook or even netbook will always be more comfortable, in my opinion.

pkchips
September 10th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Yes, please, if Swype existed for Ubuntu I would probably install Ubuntu netbook edition on every tablet PC I buy!

Ubuntu netbook edition seems really well suited to run on tablets with the recent multi touch changes, the only thing left to fix is typing. Swype can do that.

Is this the right place to request features?

Hobgoblin
September 10th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I've tried swype on a cellphone and I'm sure it's great if you know your way around a keyboard without having to look but when your path takes you through almost every key before getting to the one you want it just doesn't work.

sandyd
September 10th, 2010, 04:13 AM
With this new technology, one of the biggest drawbacks of the tablet may even become a strength.
The touch screen keyboard using this new interesting technology for typing.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/reviews/2010/07/hands-on-swype-keyboard-for-android-is-sweeptastic.ars

Tablets have 3 major drawbacks as I see it:
1: Small screen
2: Limited CPU power
3: Lack of real keyboard

1: The accelerometer and camera could facilitate practical and efficient use of bigger virtual screens.
2: New Arm processors combined with Linux scalability works well.
3: Swype could prove to be just as efficient as standard keyboards for most users. Maybe even better.

And then you have all the well known advantages:
Ultra portable.
Low price.
Long battery life.
PixelQI screens for outdoor use, even in sunlight.
One hand operation.

I think Linux has a chance of a huge succeess in this market, as with Netbooks in the beginning, and this time Windows isn't even an option, I think tablets are going to be huge, bigger than netbooks.
looks good :)
might test it on my sister's droid X review unit. (for some reason, verizon somehow found out that I was on maternity, and decided to stop sending review units until December. grr....)