View Full Version : [ubuntu] Power surge disconnected internet connection

July 11th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Our area was hit by a power surge and I cannot get the internet connection to work? What can I do. I'm using an AT&T modem which is connected to a netgear router.

July 11th, 2010, 01:09 AM
First of all, welcome to the forums.

You would want to check your modem and router first, before looking at the computer end. Check that activity lights are active for things such as 'online' on the modem to ensure that it is connected to the ISP. Also, check the router to see if it shows connectivity to the modem.

July 11th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I had both a windows and a ubuntu machine go down at the same time. We fixed the windows machine by resynching the modem and router, but I am unable to get the ubuntu machine to connect to the internet. Any other suggestions you have would be appreciated.

July 11th, 2010, 02:30 AM
You may want to try to stick your computer directly into the modem, bypassing the router.

Edit: <snip>

July 11th, 2010, 02:35 AM
+1 to Ubunturooster's suggestion, to which I add my $0.02:

When it comes time to figure out the router side of things, you might want to look at initially using a wired connection in preference to a wireless connection. Troubleshooting a wireless connection can be a pain in the neck when your main means of connection is through the broken connection.