PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04 mplayer with dvdnav

drumz
July 11th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Does anyone know where I can find a package for mplayer with dvdnav support enabled?

I was disappointed to discover that in 10.04 dvdnav support was disabled in mplayer. I rely on it for my mythtv front end box to be able to play DVDs. According to a bug it was disabled because of an upstream email chain where dvdnav was considered 'experimental' and 'not ready for production use'. Funny as it worked fine for me.

Post #6 here is where I found the above reasoning for it being disabled.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mplayer/+bug/542268

mc4man
July 11th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I would think most any ppa offering mplayer, here's one
https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/mplayer?field.series_filter=lucid

drumz
July 11th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Sweet! Just tried it on my laptop and DVD menu navigation works. Thanks for the help on this, it's greatly appreciated.

I'll flip this to 'solved' after I get a chance to install/test on my MythTV frontend box.

drumz
July 11th, 2010, 05:11 PM
For my myth frontend box it works (dvd menu is displayed), but the controls from my remote aren't properly navigating around the menu (up/down/left/right/select) even though they work fine everywhere else in myth. So I'll need to do some tinkering to get that part working but at least I'm a step closer than before.

drumz
July 12th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Got it working. Copied my ~/.lirc/mplayer file from a backup and remote control is functional again in mplayer. The default file provided even under 10.04 is almost functional, but my hand built one from before rebuilding the box is functional.

So to recap, using the mplayer at the link provided by mc4man support dvdnav if you need/want that functionality and don't want to go about building mplayer by hand. Once the PPA is added and you update the available packages, mplayer will show up as needing an 'upgrade' along with a couple of other packages. In my case they all upgraded fine except for 'menucoder', searching for and flagging it to be upgraded a 2nd time worked cleanly.

Marking thread as 'solved'.

bcg30506
August 28th, 2010, 04:30 AM
I would think most any ppa offering mplayer, here's one
https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/mplayer?field.series_filter=lucid

Does this version support VDPAU? I require that for my HD videos and the mythbuntu version does.

Linuxforall
August 28th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Does this version support VDPAU? I require that for my HD videos and the mythbuntu version does.

Yes it does as long as you have nvidia with drivers installed.

bcg30506
August 28th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Thank you! I installed it and sure enough, it plays DVDs with menu navigation using VPDAU and only about 3% CPU usage. Awesome!

Does anyone know what the config command in LIRC is for mplayer to return to the menu when watching a DVD? It's the only thing I haven't got working yet. I've tried every one I can think of. I know on the keyboard either Backspace or ESC does it. I tried key_down_event 8 but that didn't work either.

bcg30506
August 29th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Got it! I found after many searches the answer to return to the DVD menu in mplayer via the remote is dvdnav 7.