PDA

View Full Version : A community forum

dragos240
July 11th, 2010, 12:10 AM
This is a tech forum, I have been here for about 2 years now, and treated the community cafe as a general community forum as a whole. I am a cafefree person generally, who will often make mistakes, such as post many different things that are deemed spam. Because of this, I seem to be hurtful to the community that is ubuntuforums.org. Because of that, I have decided to resign from this forum, not the forums, just the cafe, I am causing more problems than solving them. This hasn't been a light decision, I have been thinking about this for a long time now, I am sad to see friends here leave every once in a while, and I also am now sad for the friends who will be left behind, but after all, I'm treating this as a general community forum, not as what it is: A tech forum that has a community forum. Because of how I treat this forum, I am no better than a troll or an advertisement bot. I do not contribute to the community. While I enjoy using linux, what I post here is usually anything but related to the topic at hand, let alone linux, and while there are posts by me that are helpful, the ratio of helpful to spam posts is great. I do like this community, but it's keeping me back, in many ways. Recently I have felt misunderstood by the mods here, however I now realize my posting style is at fault, because of this, I will only abuse the cafe more. To the forum staff: If you feel this post is at all spam to the forum, please close it. But please do not hide it from the other forum members. I also realize that I am sometimes sensitive to certain posts, which occasionally upset me, I can't stay here. I am also more than just a regular here, it's mostly all I do, and I need to really get out more. I am leaving from the cafe permanently for your sake, and mine. Again, I'm sorry to my friends here for leaving, and sorry to the nice forum staff for polluting the forum. I will however, continue to post in the support section, to give back to the community that I have enjoyed so much. Where do I go now? The answer: I don't know.

Goodbye my friends,
May your posts help those in need.

My friends that I feel were funny, and inviting: RiceMonster, The Toxic Mite, Satoru-San/Mushwars, LovingLinux, and LinuxIsEvolution.

Bye.

pwnst*r
July 11th, 2010, 12:13 AM
See you later. Oh, and work on paragraphing.

earthpigg
July 11th, 2010, 12:21 AM
all governence is imperfect, and it is impossible to govern without occassionally upsetting every one of those governed. it's a bit like spin the bottle.

however, if you are a very frequent poster, then you are playing spin the bottle more often.

if you play spin the bottle more often, you are obviously going to have the bottle land on you more often than others.

i understand this, so i don't get upset when i have a post deleted or receive an infraction.

(there also does exist the very remote possibility that i have, from time to time, said things that where inappropriate. i mean, yeah, it's possible...)

Sporkman
July 11th, 2010, 01:49 AM
I've received infractions, plus am on the ignore list of other members.

C'est La Vie... Being a forum's premiere source of news and infotainment can be a lonely and dangerous business! :)

nubimax
July 11th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Sorry to see you go Dragos240 you have been a delight to me.
M.

Redo
July 11th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I'd rather have an over-modded civilized message board than something like, ohh, the IGN boards.

ubunterooster
July 11th, 2010, 03:25 AM
G'bye Dragos. I have decided this week that I need to push all borders in my life and find exactly how far to go. I know I will go too far at times, but think it will help me in the end. But if you must go, I will miss you but do not want to force you to do what you do not think is right

Linye
July 11th, 2010, 03:34 AM
That was a well played martyr card.

forrestcupp
July 11th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Are you really going to let a small, vocal minority rule your happiness? Yeah, there are a few people who complain about the number of threads you start, but not everyone is so uptight about it.

You're still pretty young. You need to learn now to take criticism and understand that not everyone is always pleasant, but you don't let it ruin your life. If you don't learn that, you'll have a miserable adult life.

Maybe just quiet down a little, but you don't need to just leave forever. But on the other hand, you do need to invest your life into more than just some forum that isn't going to change your life.

See you later. Oh, and work on paragraphing.What a sensitive thing to say!

schauerlich
July 11th, 2010, 04:01 AM
I'm not funny? :(

chessnerd
July 11th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Some Mods on here are really strict, others are more lenient. I guess you just posted in the wrong place at the wrong time. If it means anything, I've never personally noticed any trollish posts from you. I, too, need to get out more. So if that is your main reasoning I can respect that.

I really do hope that you continue to visit the support forums. As Ubuntu's usage continues to grow we need knowledgeable users now more than ever.

I will notice your absence. Farewell my friend.

---

Also, I don't get a mention? I'm hilarious!

Two Linux users meet at a convention.

One says to the other one "Hey, have you used Ubuntu 10.04 yet?"

The other guy says "No, I haven't."

The first guy says, "Here, let me direct you to some Lynx!"

(Get it, like "links" :P)

jfloydb
July 11th, 2010, 04:28 AM
The Community Cafe

The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work.

Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues. Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!

ubunterooster
July 11th, 2010, 04:36 AM
That was a well played martyr card.
Unfamiliar expression; please explain

schauerlich
July 11th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Unfamiliar expression; please explain

Getting attention by portraying yourself as a victim.

Not saying that's what's going on, just defining the term.

Giant Speck
July 11th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Boooooooooring!

lisati
July 11th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Boooooooooring!

Now why would I boo at a ring?

Giant Speck
July 11th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Now why would I boo at a ring?

Because it's boring, of course.

ubunterooster
July 11th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Because it's boring, of course.
Dragos, do you find it at least somewhat amusing to see such spam-like posts here?

Giant Speck
July 11th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Dragos, do you find it at least somewhat amusing to see such spam-like posts here?

Spam? Pfffffftttt... don't make me laugh.

Now, would you be interested in some fReE deBt rELief 0r s0mE chEAP C14LIs?

ubunterooster
July 11th, 2010, 05:35 AM
"Anything online that is neither wanted nor asked for can be considered spam."

earthpigg
July 11th, 2010, 05:37 AM

i hereby declare that i want everything that anyone wants to say to exist on the internet.

there, all spam removed.

lisati
July 11th, 2010, 05:40 AM
i hereby declare that i want everything that anyone wants to say to exist on the internet.

there, all spam removed.

Do I have to re-write portions of my website(s)?

Giant Speck
July 11th, 2010, 05:44 AM

I didn't ask for your response; therefore, by your definition, it is also spam. Spamming the forum isn't very nice, sir.