PDA

View Full Version : dedicated v.s. colo

sandyd
July 10th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I currently need to set up a new dedicated server in a datacenter. I have the parts (and server) to stick it into a colocation, but the server ill be sending there (colo4dallas) is quite the same as a dedicated server im seeing in theplanet datacenter. both relatively cost the same. advice? (and I just found out mac minis can be colocated for $50/mo lol, even though thats not the server thats going into colo)

kevin11951
July 10th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Well, I suppose colo will allow you to make physical changes to the server (ie, its yours, and you own it). Where as dedicated is their server that you are basically borrowing time from, but you dont own it...

frostschutz
July 10th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I have a dedicated server, with 24/7 support, so any kind of hardware failure gets fixed for free in no time. Colocation is a lot less convenient in that regard, and in my case, even a lot more expensive.

frostschutz
July 10th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I just found out mac minis can be colocated for $50/mo lol

In Germany you can get a Intel i7 920, 8GB RAM, 2x750GB HDD, 5TB traffic, 24/7 support for that... dedicated (well okay not $ but 50€/month so it's more like $60/month)

stmiller
July 12th, 2010, 03:59 AM
http://www.linode.com is awesome.

Warpnow
July 12th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I'd go for dedicated for longer periods of time as you will be more likely to run into hardware failure and depreciation. For shorter periods, though, I'd go for a colocated as if they cost the same the value of the server offsets the cost, as it remains yours.