PDA

View Full Version : Grub boot menu hidden in netbook remix?

madiyaan
July 10th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Hello,

I installed Ubuntu netbook remix 9.10 and it ran fine. However, the boot menu is hidden and by default it always boots into Ubuntu (I don't know.. maybe the timeout was 0).

I wanted to switch to a different kernel so I compiled a new kernel and installed it. But upon reboot it would always boot into the old kernel. So I updated grub and made the new kernel the default.

Now the new kernel is givine me a kernel panic and I can't access my system because the grub boot menu doesn't show anything (just boots into the newly compiled kernel and gives me a panic message).

I don't have a recovery cd/usb. Is there a way for me to somehow slow grub down or show a menu? Pressing esc at boot doesn't help.

I think this is a netbook remix specific issue.

mikewhatever
July 10th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Nope, nothing to do with the netbook remix. That's the way grub2 is configured. Anyway, holding the shift key should show the menu.

drs305
July 10th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Try holding down the SHIFT key during the first stage of the boot process. This should display your menu and allow you to choose another kernel.

If you don't have additional menu items, you can edit the current kernel option by highlighting it and then pressing "e". Then change the kernel number to one you want (assuming it is installed) on the "linux" and "initrd" lines. Then boot with "CTRL-x".

madiyaan
July 10th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks. Pressing the shift key at the start worked!