PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on personal financial software?

samalex
July 10th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hi Everyone ...

I've played with GnuCash and KMyMoney a few times, but I've never really used either full time. I've also downloaded Moneydance which looks nice, but I'd hate to pay for it if the FOSS alternatives are just as good.

So any thoughts? I only need to track payments and expenses at home, so no stocks, business stuff, or anything fancy. I'd also like something that's good at working out budgets and will help us stay on goal.

Thanks for any suggestions or personal experiences with these or any other apps.

Sam

pwnst*r
July 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Mint.com

I know it's not an app, but you won't be disappointed.

samalex
July 10th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Mint.com

I know it's not an app, but you won't be disappointed.

Hi...

I've actually had an account on mint.com for a few months now, but I don't think I've given it much of a chance. Just freaky though with all my financial info on someone else's site out of my control.

But I'll give it another shake since it's already setup and synced to my accounts.

Sam

Plumtreed
July 11th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Homebank is in Synaptic Package Manager and is just a download away!

Legendary_Bibo
July 11th, 2010, 04:12 AM
OOCalc...

There's nothing like a spreadsheet with graphs to help personalize your finances!

samalex
July 13th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Homebank is in Synaptic Package Manager and is just a download away!

Wow, I hadn't heard of Homebank, but it looks great! I might download that and give it a shot as well. Thx.

OOCalc...

There's nothing like a spreadsheet with graphs to help personalize your finances!

Honestly that's the way I've done it for years, but I want something more robust than just a spreadsheet. I've been test driving Mint, which you can't beat not having to download files from the bank and import them into the application. Mint is seamless with the bank which is huge, but equally huge is its inability to setup reminders or have a calendar of future payments that are on the horizon.

For me having reminders telling me when some things are due is a must-have for any financial application. Moneydance does it the best out of all the apps I've tested, but I'll see if Homebank has something equally as awesome.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Sam

urukrama
July 13th, 2010, 10:38 PM
If you don't need the complexity of Gnucash or Homebank, ledger or hledger might be worth it. See http://blog.spang.cc/posts/hledger_rocks_my_world/