PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Apt-get update gets fetch error on cdrom

abigsky
July 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I'm getting an error using "sudo apt-get update", it is getting an error trying to fetch a cdrom image.

Error output below:
================================================== ======
Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 10.04 LTS _Lucid Lynx_ - Release i386 (20100429)/dists/lucid/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 10.04 LTS _Lucid Lynx_ - Release i386 (20100429)/dists/lucid/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
================================================== ======

So what is the syntax for the apt-cdrom? Or is there some other problem?

KdotJ
July 10th, 2010, 08:35 PM
You shouldn't need the CD Rom do perform an apt-get update. Try this, go to Synaptic package manager (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager), once it loads, click on "Settings" at the top and choose "Repositories". Once on this page, there should be a tab "Other Sources" (maybe Other Software, I can't remember). On this tab, make sure the CD Rom entry is unchecked.

dmurphy787
September 30th, 2010, 01:56 AM
That stopped my error but will it stop Ubuntu from getting or using important updates?

drs305
September 30th, 2010, 02:02 AM
That stopped my error but will it stop Ubuntu from getting or using important updates?

No, it just eliminates the CD as a source. And of all the repositories, the CD is likely to have the least up-to-date packages.