PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installer can't see Partitions

Ninamori
July 10th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Trying to install Ubuntu 10.4, but for some reason the installer can't see my partitions, I can't get passed Step 4 of the install. I get a blank white screen in the window, and if I press Forward I get the error "No root file system is defined" and to go check the partitions and correct the problem...

Under GParted using the LiveCD the HDD's work fine, nothing seems to be wrong. I have Windows XP installed on one disk in a partition, I've created EXT4 partitions on all the other disks in the machine, but the installer still can't see anything.

Anyone got any ideas? thanks.

Ninamori
July 10th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Just to add I want to install Ubuntu onto another disk seperate from the one XP is installed on, never installed an OS on it before, just used to have files on.

I've tried freeing up lots of space, still cant see anything at step 4. So annoying!

tehveihlator
July 11th, 2010, 04:19 AM
im having this same problem i cant get the installer to recognize any of the 3 hard drives i have in my machine. one thread said to run a command to delete raid meta data but that didnt hep or i didnt do it right.

Ninamori
July 11th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Man, its a shame Ubuntu is so difficult to install sometimes. I can install it if I delete RAID arrays, but then my system wont boot from the hdds for some reason, they wont show up in bios either unless they have a raid array. Any idea on how to disable raid?

I'll keep trying...

History:

> Ubuntu installer can't see RAID
> Deleted RAID Array
> Ubuntu can now be installed to the HDD
> System can't boot from HDD as not seen in BIOS (needs raid?)

oldfred
July 12th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Are you using the desktop installer? That is not intended for RAID arrays.

You can download the server & add desktop or use the text-based alternate installer.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/desktop/get-ubuntu/alternative-download

kinglogan420
July 12th, 2010, 02:33 AM
im having the same problems... absolutely identical.. finally i thought i was alone for a while there.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME AT KINGLOGAN420@GMAIL.COM AS SOON AS A SOLUTION IS FOUND