PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a powerful computer?

redfox1160
July 10th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Hello!

I want to get a powerful computer. I listen to a lot of music, and watch videos (and want to download a lot of them). I also do programming and some gaming (gaming is not a big deal though). I want at least 750GB HDD, and at least 6GB RAM (that is what my current PC has, and I don't like to downgrade). Also, I do not want to pay much more than $1,000. (I DO PLAN ON INSTALLING UBUNTU ON IT)

THANKS!

nmaster
July 10th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Hello!
I want at least 750TB HDD

i assume you mean 750GB?

start looking at the usual places: bestbuy.com buy.com, etc. look at manufacturers websites (dell, hp, etc.) to figure out what you might really want. it you wait for a good sale or rebate offer you could luck out.

another option would be buys the parts separately and then building your dream machine. this (obviously) takes a bit more time an effort, but it could save you some money.

sandyd
July 10th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Hello!

I want to get a powerful computer. I listen to a lot of music, and watch videos (and want to download a lot of them). I also do programming and some gaming (gaming is not a big deal though). I want at least 750TB HDD, and at least 6GB RAM (that is what my current PC has, and I don't like to downgrade). Also, I do not want to pay much more than $1,000. (I DO PLAN ON INSTALLING UBUNTU ON IT)

THANKS!
-> http://www.system76.com/
and heres something that youll definately like -> http://www1.dell.com/ca/p/studio-xps-8100/fs
choose the standard one.

wait... 750TB HD?

and another configuration...
Go to -> http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do;HHOJSID=NgM2M4jJ7ypQ24C2C03cgdsf0d SHnyvDmNxpJGj26s3TgxC3lChv!523408795?template_type =series_detail&category=desktops&series_name=HPE310t_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/promo_tile/3/dt_promo_tile3_hpe_310t_series_77

select base configuration -> customize and buy
during the options/configuration page that hp gives you,

upgrade the processor to
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-860 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]

change the RAM to
8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]

change the Graphics card to
1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]

Yeah... sorry.... No wireless card included.

MasterNetra
Hello!

I want to get a powerful computer. I listen to a lot of music, and watch videos (and want to download a lot of them). I also do programming and some gaming (gaming is not a big deal though). I want at least 750TB HDD, and at least 6GB RAM (that is what my current PC has, and I don't like to downgrade). Also, I do not want to pay much more than $1,000. (I DO PLAN ON INSTALLING UBUNTU ON IT)

THANKS!

A: I don't think your gonna find a 750TB Hard drive, you sure you don't mean 750GB as TB = Terebyte.

B: Your best bet I've seen thus far (price wise, theres bestbuy.com, but HP is best known for their compatibility with linux) is HP from their website (Electronic Stores are pretty much never lower price unless they doing a promotional thing that would have them losing money.) however of course not all the HP machines are gonna be 100% linux compatible. Of course if your willing to shell out a little more System76.com is a good place checkout their "Wild Dog", "Wildebeest", and "Leopard Extreme" Desktop models. They have Ubuntu pre-installed for ya.

an0dos
Hello!

THANKS!

Check out newegg.com.

System76.com has computers with ubuntu pre-installed, but they don't come with windows. If you want to use windows, you may have to pick up a copy on ebay if you go this route.

MasterNetra
July 10th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Check out newegg.com.

System76.com has computers with ubuntu pre-installed, but they don't come with windows. If you want to use windows, you may have to pick up a copy on ebay if you go this route.

Newegg is good if your building your own machine but not as great if you want a laptop...

neoargon
July 10th, 2010, 05:49 PM
750 TB HDD is not yet invented

gemmakaru
July 10th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Have you considered buying all the bits you need and doing a self build? apart from laptops all my rigs are self build, then you get exactly what you want.

redfox1160
July 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Sorry, I meant 750 GB not TB lol

redfox1160
July 10th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Does anyone have some sort of guide for determining the compatibility of parts when building a PC? I could probably build one, but I want to make sure that all the parts are compatible with each other. Thanks.

sandyd
July 10th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Have you considered buying all the bits you need and doing a self build? apart from laptops all my rigs are self build, then you get exactly what you want.
+1
Building your own PC is a great option.

I built mine last year, and its still not slightly outdated....

Specs:
Case: HP Blade Workstation
Processors: Dual Xenon Quads
RAM: 10 GB DDR3
HD: 500GB + 3 TB RAID array

and yea... I didn't buy this off HP, I bought it from my the company I used to work for...

neoargon
July 10th, 2010, 06:02 PM
What is newegg? I don't know about it

sandyd
July 10th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Does anyone have some sort of guide for determining the compatibility of parts when building a PC? I could probably build one, but I want to make sure that all the parts are compatible with each other. Thanks.
Easy. Just have one of each part.

That is what a PC is supposed to be, a computer that allows you to put whatever parts inside that you like.

for the ubuntu compatability, just search it up on the net. The major things to look out for is the Graphics Card (DON'T GET ATI!!!!!), WirelessCard, and other extra things (our of the ordinary) such as TV tuners. Stay away from creative as your sound card manufacturer. Onboard Intel HD Audio works awesomely.

sandyd
July 10th, 2010, 06:03 PM
What is newegg? I don't know about it
-> http://newegg.com

has a lot of awesome parts and cases you need to build a pc

redfox1160
July 10th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Also, how would I know what kind of power supply to get? Thanks again!

McRat
July 10th, 2010, 06:07 PM
4GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM
Quad Core CPU > 3.0ghz
1 GB video card
500 GB HDD

That will rip on 99% of all shrinkwrap applications that exist today.

If you build it yourself, you can select components that will be expandable for the future.

Get USB 3.0 and SATA III (6Gb)

PS - If you build it, that is about $600-$800. I've been putting Ubuntu on AMD systems and no CPU problems. Get nVidia chipset for video.

dragos240
July 10th, 2010, 06:11 PM
You want a powerful computer? Here it is! (http://www.cray.com)

Oh, under $1000? Oh nevermind.

neoargon
July 10th, 2010, 06:14 PM
-> http://newegg.com

has a lot of awesome parts and cases you need to build a pc
It's only for US ,Canada and China , isn't it? Do most of the people here live in US?

McRat
July 10th, 2010, 06:17 PM
TigerDirect.com is another large source of parts and barebones.

redfox1160
July 10th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Just in-case anyone was wondering, the main reason I want to get a new computer is because:
1. My current desktop runs Windows
2. I share my current desktop with four other people (and I don't know what they do on it)

McRat
July 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM
You want a powerful computer? Here it is! (http://www.cray.com)

Oh, under $1000? Oh nevermind.

That's what I have for my email. I can receive emails 10 days before they are written now.

Problem is, they are still all junkmail. :(

sandyd
July 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Also, how would I know what kind of power supply to get? Thanks again!

Depends on your mobo.
Try to get a ATX mobo, the mini-atx ones are a little bit cramped and run a bit hotter than average.

Then, once your choose the mobo, and choose all the parts, calculate the number of watts it would take to power everything (just add all the watts together) and buy a power supply that will fit in your case, and will have more than enough watts to power all the parts.

Don't buy cheap ones. They will likely catch on fire or short cirtuit at some point.

redfox1160
July 10th, 2010, 06:29 PM
+1
Building your own PC is a great option.

I built mine last year, and its still not slightly outdated....

Specs:
Case: HP Blade Workstation
Processors: Dual Xenon Quads
RAM: 10 GB DDR3
HD: 500GB + 3 TB RAID array

and yea... I didn't buy this off HP, I bought it from my the company I used to work for...

I have heard of RAID arrays, but I never have looked into them. What are they, linked hard drives? What is the benefit of them? Thanks!

cascade9
July 10th, 2010, 06:33 PM

If you've never built a computer, it can be a bit daunting. For some people, building is a great option, for others..its not.

If you can build a lego kit (and not end up throwing the thing against the wall in fustration), you should be able to build a computer.

4GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM
Quad Core CPU > 3.0ghz
1 GB video card
500 GB HDD

That will rip on 99% of all shrinkwrap applications that exist today.

If you build it yourself, you can select components that will be expandable for the future.

Get USB 3.0 and SATA III (6Gb)

PS - If you build it, that is about $600-$800. I've been putting Ubuntu on AMD systems and no CPU problems. Get nVidia chipset for video.

That should be do-able even if you get someone to build it for you.

AMD Phenom II AM3 DDR3 Configurator Case ( NZXT Gamma Gaming Case - Black )
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
Case Lighting ( None )
Processor ( [== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU )
Processor Cooling ( [Free Upgrade] Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [AMD] )
Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 - 1GB )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )
Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 -- AMD 870 w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16 )
Power Supply ( 650 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-650TX Power Supply - SLI Ready )
Primary Hard Drive ( 750 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Operating System ( None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only )
Monitor ( None )
Sub Total: $807.00

Speced with the parts I would (probably) get (well, apart from the case) and a 750GB HDD.

See here-
http://www.ibuypower.com/

It's only for US ,Canada and China , isn't it? Do most of the people here live in US?

US and Puerto Rico only as far as I know.

McRat
July 10th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I have heard of RAID arrays, but I never have looked into them. What are they, linked hard drives? What is the benefit of them? Thanks!

Most motherboards support RAID, Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives or something.

If you buy 2 cheap drives, you can get better speed by running them in RAID 0 which switches between drives to reduce read and write times

Best bang for the buck if you're looking for speed and drivespace is running two 500GB drives ($45 each) as RAID 0. It will act like a 1TB drive but is far faster.

redfox1160
July 10th, 2010, 06:38 PM
When choosing a processor, should I chose an AMD or Intel? Does one perform better with linux systems? Thanks again!

sandyd
July 10th, 2010, 06:43 PM
When choosing a processor, should I chose an AMD or Intel? Does one perform better with linux systems? Thanks again!
both perform the same on linux systems, but intel > AMD

McRat
July 10th, 2010, 06:52 PM

King of the Hill for normal single CPU desktops is the Intel i7 980X?

But the CPU alone is $1000+

You can get 80% the performance by using an AMD 6 core that is $300.
Or 70% of the performance by using a AMD 4 core that is $150.

For discount builds, the AMD rules the roost. For max performance, Intel. A $150 AMD chip will surpass a $150 Intel chip by a large margin.

If you are limited to $1000 for the entire build, you'll want the AMD Phenom II X6 3.2ghz? ($299) You will need a motherboard that is new, as some of the older ones won't go past 4 cores.

You can overclock them as well. Most new mobos support overclocking.

sandyd
July 10th, 2010, 07:33 PM

For discount builds, the AMD rules the roost. For max performance, Intel. A $150 AMD chip will surpass a $150 Intel chip by a large margin.

If you are limited to $1000 for the entire build, you'll want the AMD Phenom II X6 3.2ghz? ($299) You will need a motherboard that is new, as some of the older ones won't go past 4 cores.

some of the amd x2cores can be unlocked to 4cores. You might wanna do some research on that.

McRat
July 10th, 2010, 07:43 PM
some of the amd x2cores can be unlocked to 4cores. You might wanna do some research on that.

I only tried that once so far. No dice for me, but the box was opened. Like somebody returned it cause it it wouldn't unlock 2 cores.

cascade9
July 10th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Most motherboards support RAID, Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives or something.

If you buy 2 cheap drives, you can get better speed by running them in RAID 0 which switches between drives to reduce read and write times

Best bang for the buck if you're looking for speed and drivespace is running two 500GB drives ($45 each) as RAID 0. It will act like a 1TB drive but is far faster.

Faster, but for the OP- be warned, if one drive goes bad in a RAID 0 setup, ALL data is lost.

+1. Intel has got the fastest CPU around now, but for price/performance, AMD is king.

Not just the X2s.

Sempron- 'unlocks' to an Athon II X2.
Phenom II X2 + X3- unlocks to X4.
Rumour is that AMD is going to release newer X4 chips that will unlock to X6, but AFAIK they arent out yet.

Athlon X2 and X4 chips have no 'extra' cores to be unlocked.

RJARRRPCGP
July 10th, 2010, 08:09 PM

So it's still like the T'bred and Barton days?

McRat
July 10th, 2010, 08:20 PM
So it's still like the T'bred and Barton days?

I'm just recently getting back into Clone building. But back when I used to build my own machines, the Intels had a huge margin in the top end of the market. The difference in performance appears to be shrinking, but the pricing difference is still there. When the first true "hotrod" CPU came out (The 80486DX33), it was over $1100 in 1990 money. Why do I think it was the Hotrod? It had the Math Co-Processor built into it, effectively making it the first "dual core" desktop CPU. It was lightyears ahead of a 80386+80387 pair (CPU+MCU) or AMD's 386 clone chip.

I hate to say the I'm rooting for AMD, but without them, I doubt the CPU's of today would be anywhere near what they are. The battle of those two shops has worked out well for the enduser.

sandyd
July 10th, 2010, 09:28 PM

+ I find amds run much hotter than intel, you might have to grab extra cooling which may make them cost the same.

cascade9
July 10th, 2010, 10:35 PM
+ I find amds run much hotter than intel, you might have to grab extra cooling which may make them cost the same.

LOL. I hear this quite often, sometimes its true, sometimes its not.

I havent had to buy any 'extra cooling' for any of the AMDs I've run in the last few years. Even if you did have to, AMD still rules for price/performance. A decent heatsink is cheap, and so are fans....

BTW, you are aware that the i7 9XX chips actually have a higher TDP than the hottest AMDs? ;)

chris200x9
July 10th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Newegg is good if your building your own machine but not as great if you want a laptop...

I got a aspire 5740G-6979 on there for $750 plus a year to pay, newegg rocks for laptops if you really look

Groucho Marxist
July 11th, 2010, 12:00 AM
... Of course if your willing to shell out a little more System76.com is a good place checkout their "Wild Dog", "Wildebeest", and "Leopard Extreme" Desktop models. They have Ubuntu pre-installed for ya.

I'm typing this message on my Pangolin Performance; I haven't had any compatibility issues and it's ridiculously fast.

chiliman
July 11th, 2010, 05:52 AM
you don't really have to worry about that too much if your buying from a manufacture prebuilt.
If you are going to build it yourself. Usually compatibility is determined by the type of motherboard you want, most of the information you need is in the specifications. Most Graphics cards are pci-e 16x slots now, and most newer motherboards have at least one of those slots. You should double check the manufacturers website for a list of supported processors and ram. If the mobo's website dosent say the brand of ram you want to buy is supported then you can check the ram manufactuer website if they have tested it with the board you want. Sometimes you'll have to update the BIOS for the board to properly recognize the processor or support lager amounts of RAM. If your getting a very new board, some of them dont have IDE cable plug built in so you have to get a pci card that will let you plug in a IDE cable if you have a CD drive or HD that needs IDE, or there might be a IDE to SATA adapter if they sell those. Then you should double check the power supply has the proper connectors, mainly, 4 or 8 pin processor power connector, 20 or 24pin motherboard power connector, and if the graphics card needs 1 or 2 of a 6 or 8pin power connection.

bondo101
July 11th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Build it and it will run.