PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wasn't 9.10 better than 10.04 ?

AM_SOS
July 10th, 2010, 03:49 PM
hi all,

this one is about my overall experience with 10.04 since i installed it a few months ago.
initially, i was taken with all the publicity surrounding this release and went ahead and installed it. i had then thought of going all the way up to the next 2 years with this since this is an LTS release.

however, there have been strange happenings with the overall operation of the OS since the time of its installation. generally speaking it is definitely not as smooth in its operations as 9.10.

however, the latest of these bugs have left me quite irritated. i recently put up some useful applications on a panel which put on the left side of the screen. i also enable "auto-hide" and disabled "expand". within the first few boots, i noticed that it wouldn't even let me point the cursor at it ! the moment i placed the cursor near the left edge of the screen the small bar literally jumps out and does several oscillating movements between this edge and the centre of the screen! had it not been such an irritant i would have found this funny !
i also remember how right after the installation i had put up a panel at the top with similar settings. after a few weeks of unstable usage it simply vanished !! :-(

so its becoming clear now that there have been goof-ups with the implementation of basic stuff with the much hyped release of 10.04. personally, i loved the stability of 9.10 and am dying to go back to that setup, except i can't.

i am left wondering what new instability my 10.04 install will throw up next, an anxiety inducing thought given that i plan to go with this for the next 2 years!

i would really like to hear others experiences on this, lest mine is an isolated case...

hope the 10.04 developers are listening !

thanks.

kukker32
July 10th, 2010, 03:53 PM
the reason i turned to ubuntu was because i began to hate windows.. and mac ikinda sucks..

now they made 10.04 smell of mac :( i tried it for a days and then hurried turning back to 9.10 which is much better i mean..

23dornot23d
July 10th, 2010, 04:03 PM
You can always load up a separate installation of 9.10 ..... but

Maverick is looking really good .... 10.10 ...... even at this early stage in testing it
its quickly becoming my main system .....

I swapped to Linux Mint after the 10.04 release although still kept a copy on my HD.

Keep with it ..... that sounds like a small but very annoying problem - did you put a Bug Report in for it ?

If so give a link to it so we can see what happens ....... they do fix things if they can.

nemilar
July 10th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I'm inclined to agree with you. I've been using Ubuntu since around 6.10 and the reason I stuck with it was that Ubuntu got the basic things right.

With 10.04 I feel like they tried to bite off more than they could chew, and I think it shows. I've got no doubt that in time it will get much better, but for an LTS 10.04 was a bad idea.

cybrsaylr
July 10th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Been using Ubuntu since Dapper Drake.
I've had similar feelings about 10.04.
I still prefer 64 bit 9.10 on my main PC which runs solid.
64 bit 10.04 runs OK on my laptop but does not seem as smooth. I have 32 bit 10.04 on an older P4 which does not run as well as 32 bit 9.10 did. Seems like the 64 bit versions run smoother and better than 32 bit versions of 10.04.

cantormath
July 10th, 2010, 04:52 PM
](*,)
Every time. EVERY TIME. Every time a new version of Ubuntu comes out, I see posts like these. It all comes down to the same thing. If you are feeling the need to make these comments, you should switch back to the older version until all the bugs get worked out of Ubuntu version X.X. This happens with each version. I would even say it happens with Window$ versions. GIVE IT SOME TIME ::GRIN::, or, get on launchpad and report the bugs you find (in an intelligent manner ONLY) so that people can work out the issues.

If you NEED to try the most cutting edge version of software, do not test it out on your main machine. Get another test box/laptop, to play on.

my 2 cents.