PDA

View Full Version : Do darker themes give a laptop a longer battery life?

Legendary_Bibo
July 10th, 2010, 12:10 PM
It makes sense to me because if there's more black on the screen or even darker colors then that's less power going to each pixel right?

Also why are there so many issues with dark themes anyways?

d3v1150m471c
July 10th, 2010, 12:13 PM
simple and darker themes, yes. the more elaborate the images the more your video card and processor have to work. thus, less battery. dark themes have "issues" because their difficult to view and are bad for your vision if viewing for prolonged amounts of time. you might save all of 5 seconds using an all black screen...unless you favor dark themes I wouldn't bother with the effort.

NightwishFan
July 10th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I agree, you will not notice much difference. A visible theme on minimal brightness would save you more power.

Legendary_Bibo
July 10th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Dark themes are easier on my eyes when using my computer in the dark.

Bachstelze
July 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Dark themes are easier on my eyes when using my computer in the dark.

You shouldn't use a computer in the dark. Remember what your mom said: "always watch TV in a well-lit room"? Works for computers too.

Paqman
July 10th, 2010, 01:39 PM
A visible theme on minimal brightness would save you more power.

+1

It's the backlight that sucks all the power in your display, not the pixels.

aeiah
July 10th, 2010, 01:51 PM
yea, the backlight is constantly on - the colour of the pixels has no bearing on anything. this isn't the case with CRT monitors though - darker images do use less energy with those.

red_Marvin
July 10th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Without having any statistics to back it up, I would think the opposite, because
1) There is/was a rumour that lcd screens use a little more power to turn a pixel dark, wether or not this is true I don't know.
2) I generally find light screens have better contrast than dark ones when turning the backlight down. So you could use a dark theme but have the at 100% or a light screen with a dimmed backlight.

Warpnow
July 10th, 2010, 02:24 PM
LCDs don't display black. Just a very dark gray. CRTs use a noticable amount less power when displaying dark images, but LCDs do not. The backlight is shining through 100% of the time. The coloring of the pixels is irrelevent.

ZarathustraDK
July 10th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Perhaps when LED-monitors become the standard with per-pixel-lighting.

Xianath
July 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I side with red_Marvin here. Put a bright, high-contrast them on and lower the brightness down as much as you can. There's a reason laptops dim, then turn off, their monitors so quickly when not used.

standingwave
July 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
1) There is/was a rumour that lcd screens use a little more power to turn a pixel dark, wether or not this is true I don't know..This might be true but it's virtually negligible for overall power consumption. (It would be like trying to get better gas mileage in your car by not running the radio.) An LCD element responds to electric field. A static LCD element consumes virtually zero power. The power consumption of an LCD display is all about the back-light.

Pogeymanz
July 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM
yea, the backlight is constantly on - the colour of the pixels has no bearing on anything. this isn't the case with CRT monitors though - darker images do use less energy with those.

This. When a pixel has to be black is uses the same amount of energy as any other color. You don't just shut pixels off when the screen is black.