PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems after upgrade

gbarron
July 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hi Guys,

I received a message saying that the new version of Ubuntu (10) was available and happily clicked the upgrade button. All seemed well, but after a reboot I discovered 3 problems.

1. The sound card is lost after every reboot. I install the 4Front drivers and sound is there. I reboot and no sound.

2. Every time I start Ubuntu I have to run metacity --replace. I have been through all the tutorials I can find to fix this, but none have worked. My windows still have no decoration.

3. Most serious due to work requirements. After the upgrade I can still see my windows 7 in the boot list, but when I select it nothing happens. I just get a blank screen with a flashing cursor.

Any help gratefully received especially on the Windows boot as work is piling up.

Regards

ajgreeny
July 10th, 2010, 12:00 PM
For the windows boot problem, try
sudo update-grub if you have not already done so.

For the metacity --replace problem, go to system -preferences -appearance and set none in the Visual effects tab.

For window decoration problem with compiz, install compizconfig-settings-manager and enable the window decoration plugin.

gbarron
July 10th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hi,

The visual effects were already set to none and I checked that the window decoration was on within the Compiz manager, which it was.

I also tried the grub update. The update was successful, but it had no affect on booting. I still cannot boot in to Windows.

Regards