PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Recording a stream

Greasyfingers
July 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Is it possible to record an internet radio stream? I don't mean the audio output, I mean the stream itself, which often contains additional data such as track and artist details.

I guess what I'm asking is how to record the stuff that goes /into/ my media player, rather than what comes out of it. But maybe dealing with raw data like this would result in huge files and be impractical?

Thanks
TSH

realzippy
July 10th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Kstreamripper does a good job...

ajgreeny
July 10th, 2010, 11:32 AM
And if you use gnome, streamripper is also worth looking at; it's a cli application, but easy to use.

It will not work with a realmedia stream, however, if you want to record those, but mplayer will, and will also record mp3 streams as well.

I am not sure about the other data stream that comes with the music, as I have never bothered to find out about that.

realzippy
July 10th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Kstreamripper is an easy-to-use frontend for streamripper which works under gnome also...

mcduck
July 10th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Streamripper will use the data stream, when available, and splits the stream into separate songs and names them for you automatically.

If you want a gnome-native GUI for streamripper you should give Streamtuner a try.

Greasyfingers
July 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Steamripper it is. Nice piece of kit.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction - I'll have a look at Streamtuner sometime, too, but at the moment Streamripper is does all I need very easily.

TSH