PDA

View Full Version : How did you hear about Ubuntu?

su-37
July 10th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Hey, heres a post just asking how did you hear about Ubuntu?
I first heard about it via an Australian magazine called APC which shipped a live cd of it. 7.04 if i remember correctly.

patchwork
July 10th, 2010, 05:40 AM
While I was searching for distributions to replace MS several years ago, I found Ubuntu on the web. Although it wasn't the first (or last) distribution I've tried since then, it has become my favorite and is installed on my main machine.

Version Dependency
July 10th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I actually stumbled upon the Ubuntu forum not knowing what Ubuntu was. I saw it on some list of the largest web forums on the Internet, and clicked the link just to have a look. I looked around for a few days, becoming more and more intrigued at the idea of weening myself off the teet of Microsoft. After a week or so, I downloaded the iso and have never been happier with an OS.

earthpigg
July 10th, 2010, 05:50 AM
friend gave me an ubuntu live cd after i politely nodded along to his nerdy rambling about "free software" for several minutes.

it got placed in a drawer for a year or so.

then i purchased a laptop with vista.

i opened the drawer again.

now i am the one who does the nerdy rambling.

Timmer1240
July 10th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I played around with live cds for about 5 years never got up enough nerve to install any.then came across wubi somewhere so installed that way had trouble with it though and liked Ubuntu so much after a few trial runs with wubi I finally broke down and repartitioned and installed for good its my number 1 on the boot list now!Wife thinks Im goofy shes a windows girl but hey you gotta use what you enjoy and I enjoy Linux!

Zzl1xndd
July 10th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I had been messing around with Linux for a while (Mostly Redhat) and had heard a lot of good things about Ubuntu. I gave it a shot and it has been my primary desktop there after.

jperez
July 10th, 2010, 06:24 AM
From a person working at the local HP building some 4-5 years ago at a church get-together/picnic at the park. Tried it out and was using it on and off until this year.

Love it. :D

Jesse~

Stancel
July 10th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I chose "Internet searches" because I really have no idea how I found out about Ubuntu. I guess it must have been while looking at info about Linux.

I always was interested in Linux (long before Ubuntu existed) but I had the preconception that it involved lots of terminal commands (which I would have called "code" or "programming" because I really had no idea what all that typing was supposed to be for.)

Lucradia
July 10th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I chose Internet searches because that's exactly how I found out about ubuntu.

I first heard about KNOPPIX and MEPIS.

Shibblet
July 10th, 2010, 09:59 AM
A couple of years ago, someone was telling me that Google was going to make an OS. So I set out on a search for it. (He was referring to what is now known as Android.)

In my search I found an OS called gOS. I assumed that was it. Downloaded it and ran the Live CD. Learned a bit more about it, it was just a refit version of Ubuntu with Google Gadgets.

So I decided to find out what Ubuntu was. I played with 8.04 Hardy Heron for a while, until I found that Ubuntu is mostly Debian based. I decided to download Debian, and fortunately Debian came with a large metal hammer to bludgeon yourself with for thinking this was a good idea.

Straight back to Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex. Played with different Linux OS's for a while. Tried Arch, Sabayon, OpenSuSE, and Kubuntu. I got really comfortable with Kubuntu for a while, then decided I really did prefer Gnome to KDE.

So I am back with Ubuntu since 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope and very happy, with a dash of content.

V for Vincent
July 10th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I'd heard about linux quite often before and I was getting kind of sick of XP, so I googled it. Found a couple of "which distro is right for you" tests and decided on ubuntu.

d3v1150m471c
July 10th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I spent 8 hours a day for a solid week hacking away at my windows machine making it,...lol stable, and faster. Out of curiosity I did a google search for linux and found ubuntu that I soon slapped on an external 4GB thumbdrive...The thumbdrive was twice as fast two load and twice as fast in general than windows installed to the harddrive. Thus, I deleted windows and said no more.

Hman242
July 10th, 2010, 10:14 AM
There should be a Reference option. The first time I heard of Ubuntu was in a reference in a video.

xpod
July 10th, 2010, 11:29 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=550506&page=4

Time sure does fly.

NightwishFan
July 10th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I read about it on Distrowatch. I have an all consuming post here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9566160&postcount=19

Penguin Guy
July 10th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Weirdly enough it all happened on the same day:

I was thinking about getting a new computer and maybe an Xbox 360 when I stumbled upon 'Ubuntu on Xbox', allowing you to use an Xbox 360 as both a gaming console and a desktop computer.
I happened to notice a 'download for Linux' option while downloading some program, and Googled it.
A friend happened to mention 'Linux Mint'.

After that I installed Mint, messed around with various distro's for a year, and finally decided on Ubuntu as my main OS.

Frogs Hair
July 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I came across a Wubi / 9.10 review and tried Ubuntu via Wubi first. The review said it was a good way to look into the Linux world and indeed it was.

bonfire89
July 10th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Other: University

I did a year of computer engineering where I learned about linux and ubuntu. I have since left engineering as I didn't want to be a lab rat all my life and have opted for a more corporate life. Now hope to push open source into the corporate environment.

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 10th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I learned about Ubuntu from the Internet.

I started using computers in 1974. Most computers ran UNIX or the vendor's own version of the UNIX OS. DOS was released on the IBM PC in 1981. Microsoft didn't release Windows 1.0 until 1985. Apple had the Apple I in 1976 and the Apple II in 1977. For a period of time I actually saw more Apple II computers in the workplace than Microsoft Windows based PCs. However that changed with the introduction of IBM PC “clones” that could run Microsoft DOS or Windows. The “clones” were much cheaper than the IBM product, or Apple's computers.

In the early days of computing, people wrote software and freely shared it with everyone. We didn't have the WWW, at first. We used Bulletin Boards with dial-up modems :). We had no concept of patents or “Intellectual Property”. When that concept arose, I started looking for “Freeware” and “Shareware” programs. In the process I found Debian, SuSE, Mandrake, and RedHat. These quickly exploded into an every increasing number of distros.

I am attracted to the FOSS community; because, that is where the roots of the computing infrastructure originated. Companies want to patent and protect their Intellectual Property; however, that is not how it all got started.

:)

Swagman
July 10th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Whilst googling for answers for my Debian questions the answers always seemed/WERE for Ubuntu.

oldsoundguy
July 10th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Friend .. two of them actually. Been attempting to run some form of Linux since Mandrake 4.

Could NEVER get all of the hardware running properly.

Was running some lame version of Fedora and complaining loudly to my friends .. One is a tech in Northern Cal and runs several machines with different builds and the other lives in the Minnesota woods and has a son that writes game software. His son had installed Ubuntu on his home server and the guy RAVED about the stability and that EVERYTHING worked.

I did the usual LIVE thing with 6.04 and got hooked. Put it on one desktop machine and it worked out of the box including wireless!! (and I could get the display to do as I wanted .. namely ROTATE to portrait!)

So, I did another machine .. same great results.

Then I did a much more powerful machine (a hyperthreaded box) .. same outstanding results.

I took my Windows machines (2 of them) out of on line transactions and put them in the corner to run my photography stuff (way too much tied up in Windows only and Nikon software to just dump it)(second became a box for video instruction and learning programs for that photography .. and also used to sync a pair of PDA's (used mostly for GPS) that run Windows burned in.)

Have NOT looked back .. now have 10.04 on the Ubuntu boxes and they still are rock solid and work 100%.

BuffaloX
July 10th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Couldn't vote, wife is not an option...

su-37
July 11th, 2010, 12:10 AM
There should be a Reference option. The first time I heard of Ubuntu was in a reference in a video.

I think that would come under review, possibly?