PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] Do applications that are made for XFCE, work on ANY distro that has XFCE installed~??

bruceleejr
July 10th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Like for instance, if I have Ubuntu Lucid Lynx installed with XFCE, and it has an applications made for XFCE... will the applications also work on say some other distro like, Wolvix, that is an XFCE-based distro~????

What I am trying to say is:

Do applications that are made for XFCE, work on ANY distro that has XFCE installed~?????

bruceleejr
July 10th, 2010, 04:34 AM
bump

bruceleejr
July 11th, 2010, 08:23 PM
bump

demosthenese
July 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
The only problem may be installation if, for example, a third party application is only packaged with deb packages and your chosen distro uses a different package manager. Then you may need to use the distro's equivalent of 'alien' to install other package types or build the application from source.

If you give details of which applications you are worried about and what distro you are considering, someone may be able to answer specific questions.

bruceleejr
July 16th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Whoa~!! So there are pacakges in .deb format for XFCE AND THE EXACT SAME PACKAGES in .rpm for XFCE too~?????????

holy crap that sucks

bruceleejr
July 16th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Linux is like complicated legos LOL

snowpine
July 16th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Be specific please; what is the name of the application, and which specific distro are you trying to install it on?

In general yes, an application that works on one Linux distro should work on any other Linux distro. But, you don't install it from the other distro's repository--for example, if you are using Wolvix, you look for the application in the Wolvix repository, never the Ubuntu repository! If it's not in the repository, then you can compile it from source, which should work in any distro (so long as dependencies can be met).

If my answer sounds horribly vauge, that's because your question was too. ;)

bruceleejr
July 16th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Not just an application, but an XFCE-based application

Applications are built for specific Desktop Environments, correct~??

An XFCE-media player wont play in the Gnome desktop environment~?? Right~??

snowpine
July 16th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Not just an application, but an XFCE-based application

Applications are built for specific Desktop Environments, correct~??

An XFCE-media player wont play in the Gnome desktop environment~?? Right~??

You can use pretty much any application with any desktop environment. If there are dependencies, the package manager will install them. For example a lot of people like Amarok (a KDE application) and use it on non-KDE systems.

Unless you have a specific example, that's really all the help I can give. Do you have a specific question/problem, or are you just being philosophical? :)

bruceleejr
July 17th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Ohhh, no neither, Im just trying to figure out how the Desktop Environments & applications work together.

Like I thought an application made for Gnome will only work in Gnome, & not KDE,XFCE etc

So okay... if an application is built for xfce desktop environment, it will work in Gnome,KDE,LXDE etc~????

snowpine
July 17th, 2010, 07:22 PM
So okay... if an application is built for xfce desktop environment, it will work in Gnome,KDE,LXDE etc~????

Yes. :)