PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 Install on IBM T30?

curtjr4
July 9th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hi there,
I have been a user of Ubuntu for quite a while. I have an old IBM T30 sitting next to me, in which i'd like to install Ubuntu 10.04 on. When I pop the CD into the drive, the Ubuntu logo had a green border, then where it's supposed to load the installer, it dumps me to the desktop and says that it failed. Any ideas :?:

Thanks!
-Curt

davidmohammed
July 9th, 2010, 10:57 PM
what's the specifications of the laptop - memory, processor, graphics card etc?

curtjr4
July 9th, 2010, 11:03 PM
what's the specifications of the laptop - memory, processor, graphics card etc?

It's an Intel Pentium 4 CPU clocking at 1.80GHz if I am correct, 256MB RAM, with an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500. It is time for an RAM upgrade, but I am a little shorthanded on cash ;)

davidmohammed
July 9th, 2010, 11:05 PM
you are very short of memory - I wouldn't bother with vanilla ubuntu.

Try lubuntu - its better for memory starved machines.

Mark Phelps
July 11th, 2010, 01:50 AM
It's an Intel Pentium 4 CPU clocking at 1.80GHz if I am correct, 256MB RAM, with an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500. It is time for an RAM upgrade, but I am a little shorthanded on cash ;)

Yeah ... understand ... but ATI Linux driver support for your card was dropped well over a year ago. That means you're not going to get any 3D acceleration, and with that old a card, maybe no video effects, either.

Plus, that little RAM is right on the edge of the minimum required. It MIGHT install, but even if it does, it will perform so slowly as to be all but useless.