PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error Message during install of 10.4

boyblue42
July 9th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I recieve an error mesage during install of ubuntu 10.4 while partitioning ext3 freezes at 5% then a black screen i see the cursor but can't move it with the error message "process:304): Glib - warning **: getpwuid_r() : Failed due to unknown user id (0)" , i have tried installing 9.10 and 5.0.5 Debian when i installed 9.10 ubuntu and debian it just froze and wouldn't do anything. what is causing this and how can i fix it?

gordintoronto
July 9th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Tell us about the computer. How much memory? How much hard drive space? What partitions did you create?

There are many, many things which might cause the problem. For example, I once accidentally specified a 1MB swap partition, and the install died about the same place yours did -- but I doubt if that is your problem.

boyblue42
July 9th, 2010, 11:49 PM
it is a hp pavilion a1620n western digital 250gb hard drive, ATI Radeon 256 mb, 1.5 gb PC2 Ram, have tried everyway imaginable to partition from just partitioning it with only ubuntu using largest contigious space and reformatting the entire drive, and partitioning it manually many times can't even get it to reformat it freezes at ext3 during partition no matter how i do it.

gordintoronto
July 10th, 2010, 02:07 AM
If partitioning is the problem, you could try downloading "partition magic" which runs from its own LiveCD. Did you specify "mount points," for root and home, or just root if you only choose one partition.

boyblue42
July 10th, 2010, 05:47 AM
how do i run partition magic? i don't have another operating system installed, when i ran partitioning by itself it froze as well