PDA

View Full Version : DesktopBSD, pretty sweet.

dermotti
March 30th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I installed DesktopBSD this weekend. Iits basically FreeBSD with a fancy installer, preinstalled KDE 3.5, and a graphical package manager.

So far im diggin it. The package manager is pretty sweet because you can choose to eithe rinstall the package from a binary or compile it yourself (just incase you need some special flags).

http://www.desktopbsd.org

BarfBag
March 30th, 2006, 07:19 PM
That's cool. I've been tempted to try that out for a couple of months. How fast and lightweight is it? Does it have apt-get or an alternative to it? I can't live without apt-get. What form of packages does it use?

dermotti
March 30th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Its uses a graphical front-end to freebsd ports. It works almost exactly like apt-get. It resoved all dependencies perfect.

Its actually has some features that are better than apt-get. With apt-get you can only download precompiled binaries. With the DesktopBSD package manager you can choose either a precompiled binary, or compile the source.

That ability is pretty sweet,

magnusbb
March 30th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Its actually has some features that are better than apt-get. With apt-get you can only download precompiled binaries. With the DesktopBSD package manager you can choose either a precompiled binary, or compile the source.

Well, as far as I know, this is also possible with apt. http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html

But does perhaps the ports system - of which I have heard many positive arguments - do this smoother, better and faster?

tageiru
March 30th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Its uses a graphical front-end to freebsd ports. It works almost exactly like apt-get. It resoved all dependencies perfect.

That ability is pretty sweet,
Uh right, perhaps you should look into apt-get source and dpkg-buildpackage.

EDIT: Nevermind, magnusbb was faster.

dermotti
March 30th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Through ports you just download it just like you would download a .deb binary package and it installs. Really smooth.

Honestly I have never attempted building from source via apt-get. But it looks to me like there is alot more steps involved (creating deb package etc etc).

Zodiac
March 30th, 2006, 09:12 PM
What is the hardware support like?

I can imagine that being a nightmare...

nauseaboy
March 30th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Dude, I'm gonna have to try that.

-Rick-
March 30th, 2006, 09:38 PM
What is the hardware support like?

I can imagine that being a nightmare...
Hardware support in fbsd isn't that bad. My WLAN works actually better in FreeBSD :)

dermotti
March 31st, 2006, 12:15 AM
Everything on my system worked right out hte box.

And i was able to download the Nvidia driver right from the package manager. The driver worked automagically (besides putting "nvidia" in the xorg.conf).

doclivingston
March 31st, 2006, 03:35 AM
Honestly I have never attempted building from source via apt-get. But it looks to me like there is alot more steps involved (creating deb package etc etc).

apt-get build-dep packagename
apt-get --build source packagename
dpkg -i packagename.deb

The first command installs the dependencies of the package. The second downloads the source package and build it. The third installs the newly built package - many things build multiple binary packages from one source package, so they may be multiple .debs to install.

There may be an even more automated way (such as a gui), but the above isn't exactly hard.

dermotti
March 31st, 2006, 03:48 AM
Interesting. Ive never tried doing it via apt-get because I guess it was not really advetised to me ever that it was possible. Only Deb i have ever built was a kernel.

So then when you build Debs via apt-get, does it still resolve dependencies for you?

doclivingston
March 31st, 2006, 04:16 AM
So then when you build Debs via apt-get, does it still resolve dependencies for you?

"apt-get build-dep" installs the build dependencies (what it required to build the package). I'm not actually sure what to do if there are (runtime) dependencies that aren't build dependencies. Run "apt-get -f install" after using dpkg to install it?

dermotti
March 31st, 2006, 04:27 AM
When in stalled XFCE on DesktopBSD, i just clicked on XFCE and clicked install and walked away. Then the ports manager went out and installed/compiled all the dependencies automagically. And an hour later XFCE was ready. Pretty smooth....

macrohard
March 31st, 2006, 04:33 AM
I'll have to give this one a shot, the only BSD I've tried so far is PCBSD. Itsnot bad for someone trying out BSD for the first time....:cool:

WildTangent
March 31st, 2006, 05:57 AM
If I can install Gnome with this, I'm so trying it :D I've got FreeBSD on test system, but I dread installing it on a development machine because I can't quite remember how I did it...

-Wild

LinuxKid
March 31st, 2006, 08:17 AM
If I can install Gnome with this, I'm so trying it :D I've got FreeBSD on test system, but I dread installing it on a development machine because I can't quite remember how I did it...

-Wild
in your blog entry, maybe you could've gone into a little more detail (for me and for your own sake of knowing how you installed gnome)

LinuxKid
March 31st, 2006, 08:18 AM
OSDir's got a screenshot tour of DesktopBSD
http://osdir.com/Article8493.phtml

first shot:
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/604/21.gif

looks
pretty sweet

tseliot
March 31st, 2006, 11:36 AM
I can't install it on my ASUS a8v Deluxe as I get panic error a few after I insert the CD and the bootsplash is loaded (PC-BSD does the same). FreeBSD 6 doesn't have this problem.

Weird

helpme
March 31st, 2006, 11:42 AM
I can't install it on my ASUS a8v Deluxe as I get panic error a few after I insert the CD and the bootsplash is loaded (PC-BSD does the same). FreeBSD 6 doesn't have this problem.

Weird
I think the current version of desktopbsd is based on freebsd 5.5.
Maybe this explains why freebsd 6 works, while desktopbsd doesn't.

Hamman
March 31st, 2006, 01:20 PM
I prefer PC-BSD (www.pcbsd.org). Their package management system (http://www.pcbsd.org/?p=packages), PBI, is really interesting and IMO much better then apt, yum, ports and portage.

awakatanka
March 31st, 2006, 02:00 PM
I prefer PC-BSD (www.pcbsd.org). Their package management system (http://www.pcbsd.org/?p=packages), PBI, is really interesting and IMO much better then apt, yum, ports and portage.
Cool another toy to play with, downloading it now.

Tatey
March 31st, 2006, 03:41 PM
It's been a while since I've tinkered with FreeBSD. I'm definitely going to download an ISO and try it out on my laptop. It's in need of clean-up anyhow. Thanks for the information.

Cheers

Al3xanR0
March 31st, 2006, 06:23 PM
I installed DesktopBSD this weekend. Iits basically FreeBSD with a fancy installer, preinstalled KDE 3.5, and a graphical package manager.

So far im diggin it. The package manager is pretty sweet because you can choose to eithe rinstall the package from a binary or compile it yourself (just incase you need some special flags).

http://www.desktopbsd.org

I just downloaded it can't wait to take it for a spin. Whoa! I meant the cd not the rooooooooooooom! :-#

hizaguchi
May 4th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I installed it yesterday. It is mind-numbingly fast on my laptop (well, compared to what I'm used to). Noticably faster than Arch and definately Ubuntu. But I'm not sold on the ports/packages system. Alot of things don't have precompiled packages and the GUI installer doesn't seem to be compiling a port when it fails to find a package, which has pretty much made it useless to me since upgrading never gets completely finished. This has led me to the command line, where I'm getting the hang of "portupgrade" and it's options, but I'm running into another problem: some packages installed from the CD are newer than the ones in the freeBSD CVS, which has a nasty habit of confusing the package management even further.

I'm determined to get it all straight though. I may just install plain FreeBSD and see if that fixes some of my issues.

Super King
May 5th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Looks nice. Do they have anything similar to a Linux 'live CD'?