PDA

View Full Version : MS DOS booted from Hard drive does not execute any .exe file even from outside

logamuthu
July 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I am a 68-years old Neurosurgeon - a die-hard-fan-and-avid-user(for over three decades) of MS DOS 6.22 with QBasic1.0, Foxpro DOS 2.5 a and Wordstar 4.0 for all my work except Internet.

At the end of every day I take a zipped back up of all transaction files of the day into a single 1.44 MB FDD and back them upto my other PCs via FDD / USB Pen drive / Network etc.,

I use Windows only for surfing - telemedicine

Recently my 10 year old mobo started acting funny - weird messages about FDD, Keyboard not present etc., After sending the old mobo to service, I shifted the MS DOS ec., Hard disk to another mobo - removing a pre-existing XP Hard disk leaving the old MS DOS as the only HDD.

MS DOS booted fine from the old HDD and did all internal commands like dir, type, copy etc but hung up on all .exe files - scandisk, qbasic, fox, foxpro, ws etc.,

I then booted from a DOS Boot Floppy and now all .exe files worked fine, except the inevitable time-lag of the processor looking up command.com in the slower FDD each time I gave a command fom the command line or via MS DOS Batch files.

I then used sys.com in the FDD to transfer the system to the C:\ drive. Now command.com in the FDD and the C:\ on the HDD had the same size and date stamp. Yet when I rebooted fom the hard drive - cold and hot, the .exe files did not work and the system hung!

FDD and HDD have the same version namely MS DOS 6.22 and the command.com has the same file size and date stamp in both of them! I even transferred the system from the FDD to the C:\
drive of the HDD. Yet booting from HDD loads DOS and gets me to the C:\Prompt from where I cannot run ANY .exe file - scandisk, qbasic,foxpro etc., while booted from the FDD I have no such
problem except that the execution of commands is very slow given the lower speed of FDD as against HDD and I am unable to copy my files in the HDD - even the simple ones to the FDD which is the booter. How long and how far to depend on the unreliable FDD and its media?!

Plss help!

Can anybody help Plsss!

Googol Thanx in advance!!