PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Renaming "Applications-Places-System"

Struwelpeter
July 9th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hello,

I am trying to find a way to rename the "Applications" "Places" and "System" menus to something shorter (Apps, GoTo, Sys). I came across this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5043898&postcount=11

But it didn't work: all it did was to make my Notification Area disappear.

Any clues?

Cheers,

S.p.

bobcollard
July 12th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Hello,

I am trying to find a way to rename the "Applications" "Places" and "System" menus to something shorter (Apps, GoTo, Sys). I came across this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5043898&postcount=11

But it didn't work: all it did was to make my Notification Area disappear.

Any clues?

Cheers,

S.p.
Right click the icon in the panel and go to properties. Type in a different name in "Label" or "Button Title" box.

Struwelpeter
July 13th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Right click the icon in the panel and go to properties. Type in a different name in "Label" or "Button Title" box.

Alas, when I right-click anywhere on the panel I get no "properties" option. I only get Help, Edit Menus, Remove From Panel, Move, Lock to Panel.

bobcollard
July 13th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Alas, when I right-click anywhere on the panel I get no "properties" option. I only get Help, Edit Menus, Remove From Panel, Move, Lock to Panel.
What does "Edit Menus" give you?

Struwelpeter
July 13th, 2010, 01:02 PM
What does "Edit Menus" give you?

A pretty window entitled "Main Menu" where I can edit, manage and rename the menus sub-items, but not the main menu (Applications, Places, Systems) names.

bobcollard
July 13th, 2010, 02:34 PM
A pretty window entitled "Main Menu" where I can edit, manage and rename the menus sub-items, but not the main menu (Applications, Places, Systems) names.
Sorry, hope someone else can help.

zorkerz
October 18th, 2010, 12:30 AM
@Struwelpeter

I just found that post as well at first it did not work but that was because I mistyped one of the commands after that it worked fine.

What version of ubuntu are you using? I am running 10.10 it seems likely since that post was written in 2008 that this should work for any ubuntu version made between then and now.

Im assuming the last command 'pkill gnome-panel' made your notification area dissapear? What it did for me was restart the gnome panel making the main menu reload with new menu titles.

Why don't you try the directions again and see if it works.