PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Transparency of application's menu bar

leseman
July 9th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Hi,

I currently have a transparent desktop environment in Ubuntu 10.04. However (and I've done an extensive time searching Google), is it possible to make the application's menu bar (i.e., saying 'File', 'Edit' etc.) transparent? I'm using Compiz.

Cheers,

Jim

tenhi
July 9th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Hi.

I have transparent menus after installing ubuntu tweak package.
You can enable transparent menus in Desktop/Compiz settings section.

see ya.

mcduck
July 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Hi,

I currently have a transparent desktop environment in Ubuntu 10.04. However (and I've done an extensive time searching Google), is it possible to make the application's menu bar (i.e., saying 'File', 'Edit' etc.) transparent? I'm using Compiz.

Cheers,

Jim

Sorry, but not in any easy way.

While Compiz is able to make things transparent at window level, it's not able to affect what's running inside that window, so it can't make any difference between application background and text, or different parts of the application's interface. That's something that the toolkit used to draw the application (and the application itself) must do. So it's up to GTK, Qt or whatever your application uses to allow such transparency.

The Murrine theme engine for GTK does support transparency, but as far as I know it's still not in the version that Ubuntu has. But if you install a development version of Murrine engine you will get the effect you want, at least on the programs that support it.

edit: what the poster above is talking about is making the menus themselves transparent, not the menu bar. That's something Compiz can do, since the menu is a window of it's own, not part of some larger window. Of course even in that case Compiz will make the whole menu transparent, not just the background, so you can only really use it for slight transparency effect before the menu contents become too hard to read.

leseman
July 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Sorry, but not in any easy way.

<...>

edit: what the poster above is talking about is making the menus themselves transparent, not the menu bar. That's something Compiz can do, since the menu is a window of it's own, not part of some larger window. Of course even in that case Compiz will make the whole menu transparent, not just the background, so you can only really use it for slight transparency effect before the menu contents become too hard to read.

Cheers, I thought it won't be possible. My 'main' menu and program menus are transparent, but that menu bar is not. So, maybe it will be possible in the future.

mcduck
July 9th, 2010, 03:09 PM
If I remember right application transparency support is one of the goals for Ubuntu 10.10, but we'll just have to see if it makes it into final release... :)