PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing SunStdio 12 in Ubuntu10.04

mecrazycoder
July 9th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Hi All, I am a newbie to Ubuntu[in fact to Linux]. I like to install SunStdio12. So I downloaded this file SunStudio12u1-Linux-x86-rpms-ML.tar.bz2. But I dont know how to proceed further. I searched and come up with some links. But I cant able to understand. Please anyone give me the steps or link for installing. Tanx in advance.

Kungen7
July 9th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I guarantee you that this is to be found a million places in different forums, but sure.

You move the file to your home folder (/home/yourusername/) the type the following in your terminal.

tar -jxvf filename.tar.bz2
If the file extension (in this case ".tar.bz2") is .tar.gz the command would be

tar -zxvf filename.tar.gz
When you have done this you will se it has extracted a folder with the same name to your current directory (should be home). Type

cd filename
to change into this directory. Then type the following, or look for a README of INSTALL file inside the folder for other instructions.

./configure
make
make install
If you get a permission error making the install you need to run the command with root priviliges. To do this you type sudo before the command you want to execute like this

sudo make install
and then type in your root password.

EDIT: I see now that the name of the file you wish to extract contains "rpms". See, if it extracts a .rpm file, its i different story. Try to search around a bit to learn how to handle these.

Hope this helps,
Kungen