PDA

View Full Version : I want to up my codec quality, but I'm not sure how.

BloodyIron
July 9th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Okay so I'm pretty sure I have the most happening out of the default codecs, but I'm not very pleased with them.

Before I updated to 10.04, on 9.10, my blacks were pretty good, but now I get lots of squares and other noise and crap.

I was thinking of switching to higher quality codecs, but I'm also not sure if there are some settings I'm missing.

1) Is it worth it to simply up the bitrate of the video? I think mine is in the 3000ish range.

2) I have plenty of processing. Is it worth it to simply switch to another codec? I would appreciate a bit more compression/quality at the cost of CPU/GPU.

Just to clarify. I'm talking about recording analogue signal and playing it back on my LCD TV. I have an onboard HD 3200 which gets it done, and a Phenom II X4 920 CPU with 4GB of RAM.

I tried poking around for some how-to's but I couldn't turn up any good leads.

LowSky
July 9th, 2010, 04:25 PM
If you are having issues with picture quality may I suggest you rescan your channels.

BloodyIron
July 10th, 2010, 01:25 AM
If you are having issues with picture quality may I suggest you rescan your channels.

I recently did that so I don't think that's the issue. It doesn't look like it's a signal issue, more a crummy codec issue.

BloodyIron
July 10th, 2010, 01:30 AM
The video quality reminds me of what it looks like to be in 16 bit mode, but I know I'm in 32 bit mode because it's only the video being crummy.