PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to download Firefox Add-Ons on Ubuntu 10.0.4 Netbook Edition

leekb
July 9th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Hello

I have just done a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.0.4 Netbook Edition on my Asus Eee PC 1000H, which was originally running Windows XP. Right after the installation I used the Update Manager to download/install updates. It works fine so far and I think I am beginning to like it.

I just could not get my head around one issue with the Firefox 3.6.6. For some strange reasons I just could not download and install Firefox add-ons or themes. I would click on the button "Add to Firefox". The download window with the progress bar would appear. The progress bar would get stuck at 0% with the message "waiting". After 30 secs or so, this error message would appear:

Firefox could not install the file at

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/downloads/file/92118/tab_mix_plus-0.3.8.4-fx.xpi?src=api&confirmed=1

because: Download error

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks in advance

KB

lovinglinux
July 10th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Instead of clicking the "Add to Firefox" button, right-click and select "Save link As". You will download a xpi file. Then click "File >> Open File" and select the xpi file you just downloaded. It will install as usual.

If you still has problems, try to download the extension xpi file with another browser to see if the problem persists.

leekb
July 11th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Found the answer after several hours of searching. I found bugs opened against this issue, which seems to be fairly common.

Cause: Firefox was sending IPv6 packets during add-ons download, disrupting normal operation. Or something to that effect.

Resolution: Access about:config in Firefox, find the attribute network.dns.disableIPv6 and set it to true. Problem solved.

apple2user
February 23rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Really glad I found this! Had the exact same problem.

Just to clarify. about:config is accessed by typing it in the location bar. Took me a while to realize this (after searching for more help...)