PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get answers?

AstroLlama
July 9th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Periodically I like to browse the threads in the Ubuntu Forums, but when I need help on any linux-related topic I usually just do a google serch. If I can't quite find what I'm looking for I'll sometimes use google's "linux search." I don't work with anything too complicated, so this is usually enough for me to find answers.

Other bookmarked pages include a few blogs and the w3schools site and forums (for web design, obviously).

What sites/resources do you use when you seek answers or discussion on linux-related (in the broadest sense) or programming questions (any language) and why?

I'm interested in any thoughts you have to add.

Telengard C64
July 9th, 2010, 06:54 AM
In no particular order:

answers.com
google
ubuntu wiki
launchpad
manpages.ubuntu.com
packages.ubuntu.com
info documentation
personal experience
whatever comes to mind

Yarui
July 9th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I think most people probably search google first. Going from forum to forum and searching each one individually doesn't really seem as fast as using a search engine that will search them all at the same time.

Megrimn
July 9th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Lately I have been trying to work out the problem myself unless I have no experience with the issue. If someone is on-hand who knows what is going on, then I ask that person.

dragos240
July 9th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Google, or searching the forum, if I can't get an answer from those sources, I will post here.

theraje
July 9th, 2010, 07:24 AM
For Linux:
The Ubuntu Forums, documentation, wiki
EeeUser.com forums (though mostly for Asus EeePC-related stuff)
Google!

For programming:
gpwiki.org forums (for game programming, but they're a bit slow these days)
Books. Piles and piles of thick, expensive books.
Google!

meadhikari
July 9th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Google + Ubuntu forums works for me all the time

Stancel
July 9th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I like to use site:ubuntuforums.org in Google.

scouser73
July 9th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I use Google first, and then if n o luck I use the forums, and when I search on Google the forums often appear in the search results.

Excedio
July 9th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Dogpile FTW!

Tristam Green
July 9th, 2010, 01:03 PM
@OP: Google is Gawd.

In no particular order:

answers.com
google
ubuntu wiki
launchpad
manpages.ubuntu.com
packages.ubuntu.com
info documentation
personal experience
whatever comes to mind

Off-topic: are you that guy whose posts were edited on the KB forums?

samalex
July 9th, 2010, 02:38 PM
In addition to what everyone else is saying, I'd suggest IRC Channels #Ubuntu or ##linux on Freenode, and most popular projects have their own channels there as well. And the Linux groups on Usenet are still useful, even if just the archives.

Also check for local Linux User Groups or even LUG's in other areas since most are open to users from anyplace. Many LUG's have great support forums that are outside of the mainstream, and you'd be surprised how much knowledge those groups can have.

Sam

RiceMonster
July 9th, 2010, 02:39 PM
The almighty Google.

Telengard C64
July 9th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Off-topic: are you that guy whose posts were edited on the KB forums?

@Tristam Green
No clue what you might be referring to. Without further information I can neither confirm nor deny anything.

AstroLlama
July 12th, 2010, 02:05 AM
In addition to what everyone else is saying, I'd suggest IRC Channels #Ubuntu or ##linux on Freenode, and most popular projects have their own channels there as well. And the Linux groups on Usenet are still useful, even if just the archives.

Also check for local Linux User Groups or even LUG's in other areas since most are open to users from anyplace. Many LUG's have great support forums that are outside of the mainstream, and you'd be surprised how much knowledge those groups can have.

Sam

Good suggestions, I hadn't thought of those.

xc1024
July 12th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I'd also like to add LinuxQuestions.org.