PDA

View Full Version : Proposal Two base Ubuntu installs

Master Shake
March 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I know this had been talked about before, but I have a new idea here (which may or may not have been discussed), anyway, this is JUST SPECULATION, and I don't really expect anyone at Cannonical to listen (not that they're stuck=up... More like the fact that they're too busy to read forums all day :D)

Here's my idea...

Relegate Ubuntu to two differnt distros..

1) n00buntu -- a flavor of Ubuntu designed to serve the new user. The install would be graphical, and the partitioner would be easier to use for the absolute n00b. Otherwise, this version would be exactly the same as regular Ubuntu.

2) pr0buntu --A flavor of Ubuntu that has an expanded installer, allows whatever flavor of ubuntu to be installed (at setup you choose from Kubuntu, xUbuntu, plain 'old ubuntu and any other flavors that may come down the pike), allows one to select what packages to be installed, and allows for advanced hardware config at setup time. For obvious reason, this version of ubuntu would be only for people with broadband internet connections.

What do you think about this idea?

Brunellus
March 30th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I protest. 2) is too close to pr0nbuntu

endersshadow
March 30th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I protest pr0nbuntu. Won't somebody please think of the children?!

But seriously, one of Ubuntu's strengths is the 1 CD ISO image...stop trying to make it more. If you don't like it, customize it. I'm very much of the opinion that if I want something just the way I like it, I have to do it myself. Give a workable base system, and I'll tweak from there. Just don't bloat it with every feature known to man...

htinn
March 30th, 2006, 06:12 PM
It would be nice if the DVD for Ubuntu allowed you to install the regular/KDE/XFCE version of Ubuntu.

Master Shake
March 30th, 2006, 06:28 PM
The main reasons I thought of this are...

1) There are currently too many branches of Ubuntu currently offered, or being developed, and it would be nice to get this down to two different adaptable distros, and

2) I had a boring drive into work this morning. (with the exception of the cop clocking people, but I wasn't stopped, so its all good :) )

kadymae
March 30th, 2006, 07:30 PM
2) is too close to pr0nbuntu

And y'know, if there were a little distro called pr0nbuntu, with some all but nekkid cafe-au-lait colored chick as the default desktop, and a buttload of pr0nsites prebookmarked in the browser, it would become a very popular distro.

Actually, anybody who wants to try this as a viral marketing idea has my blessing.

(Just please make an easy to read, unmistakable install setting that gives lecherous straight women, gay men, and bisexuals a choice of having the sort of desktop and sites sites that we would like. [Eg Which do you prefer: Naked Women? Naked Men? Both?].) ;)

briancurtin
March 30th, 2006, 08:57 PM
every version of ubuntu is "noob" friendly so i dont see the need for #1

darkmatter
March 30th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Ubuntu already is two different distros:

"economy" and Impi... :mrgreen:

aysiu
March 30th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Here's my idea...

Relegate Ubuntu to two differnt distros..

1) n00buntu -- a flavor of Ubuntu designed to serve the new user. The install would be graphical, and the partitioner would be easier to use for the absolute n00b. Otherwise, this version would be exactly the same as regular Ubuntu. Sounds like Dapper's "Espresso Installer." The devs must have read your mind!

2) pr0buntu --A flavor of Ubuntu that has an expanded installer, allows whatever flavor of ubuntu to be installed (at setup you choose from Kubuntu, xUbuntu, plain 'old ubuntu and any other flavors that may come down the pike), allows one to select what packages to be installed, and allows for advanced hardware config at setup time. For obvious reason, this version of ubuntu would be only for people with broadband internet connections. Sounds like a server install. You do a server install and type
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop and you get your Kubuntu. Same thing for Xubuntu, except that in Breezy you need to enable extra repositories for that. According to http://packages.ubuntu.com/ you won't have to for Dapper.

Master Shake
March 30th, 2006, 09:51 PM
every version of ubuntu is "noob" friendly so i dont see the need for #1

Have you seen the partitioner? The first time I tried using it, I wiped my XP partition off. The wife withheld sex for weeks afterwards!

darkmatter
March 30th, 2006, 10:07 PM
The wife withheld sex for weeks afterwards!

That's what happens when you don't pay attention... therefore you likely deserved it :-#

Seriously: the partitioner is REALLY easy to use..... ;)

Brunellus
March 30th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I respectfully disagree; the partitioner is easy ENOUGH to use, but certainly not REALLY easy.

The gold standard for this for me is still SUSE's installer, but I last used that around version 9.1

darkmatter
March 30th, 2006, 10:46 PM
The gold standard for this for me is still SUSE's installer

Full agreement here: YaST is packing the mother of all installers.

Stormy Eyes
March 30th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I protest pr0nbuntu. Won't somebody please think of the children?!

I think of the children all the time. I have lots of nice recipes.

prizrak
March 30th, 2006, 10:58 PM
MasterShake,
That is why you need a mistress for cases like that ;) Remember the geek modo: "Back up, back up, back up" :)
Stormy,
You nuts!!!! (Which makes this forum more fun)

Brunellus
March 30th, 2006, 11:07 PM
MasterShake,
That is why you need a mistress for cases like that ;) Remember the geek modo: "Back up, back up, back up" :)
Stormy,
You nuts!!!! (Which makes this forum more fun)
prizak: I was kinda thinking more along the lines of Juvenile: "back that *** up"

prizrak
March 31st, 2006, 12:02 AM
prizak: I was kinda thinking more along the lines of Juvenile: "back that *** up"
ROFL

benplaut
March 31st, 2006, 12:51 AM
ayisu speaks the truth - you want custom? do a server install.

briancurtin
March 31st, 2006, 06:27 AM
Have you seen the partitioner? The first time I tried using it, I wiped my XP partition off. The wife withheld sex for weeks afterwards!
i didnt think it was that bad, but brunellus is right. the yast partitioner was easier than breathing. i really dont mind command line partitioners though. arch does it that way and i fly through arch installs.

aysiu
March 31st, 2006, 06:40 AM
Ubuntu Dapper's Espresso Installer (http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=593&slide=36) will probably be easier for the GUI-minded.

prizrak
March 31st, 2006, 09:01 AM
If you want a hard partitioner try Gentoo, after that Ubuntu was a breeze ;)

catlett
March 31st, 2006, 11:55 AM
I might be wrong but can't you do an install from Debian how you want it? I only say this because on my other computer I put Debian in. It didn't have an x- windows sytem. I had to apt-get gnome. Then apt-get x window system core, Then apt-get gdm. My point is if someone wants a "pro" version can't they compile it from Debian. I think I almost made my Debian Ubuntu because I put an Ubuntui repository in my /etc/apt/list and got a bunch of ubuntu packages in synaptic. I think if I wanted to I could have installed Ubuntu(or maybe not, computers are still pretty new to me). Right now it is a Debian (Sarge) with Xfree86 window system and a Gnome desktop but couldn't someone take this type of configuration and make it a customised Ubuntu and leave the default "noob" to people who use the cd?