PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome: maximize a window to half the screen by dragging it to the left/right edge?

Kurtosis
July 9th, 2010, 06:20 AM
KDE and Windows7 both have a nice feature/setting that lets you maximize a window to half the screen by dragging it to the left or right edge of the screen.

Does Gnome have anything similar?

Thanks!

Edit: Use Compiz Grid:

sudo apt-get install compiz-fusion-plugins-extra

bobcollard
July 10th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Yes, set at Maximum, hold down Alt and drag the body of the application screen until you can adjust it accordingly.

chiliman
July 10th, 2010, 05:43 PM
it didn't work perfectly for me because i might have conflicting compiz plug ins on or something. but follow the instructions on this page and let me know if they work for you.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/aero-snap-ubuntu-linux.html

chiliman
July 10th, 2010, 08:38 PM
after resetting compiz settings to default i got better results, but i think since i have GLX-dock running its conflicting with the compiz settings for the snap.

edit: ok after playing with it some more its works for me if edge trigger delay is set to 0 and increasing the delay breaks it sooo i would just give a try i think im gonna hang on to these settings now.

Edit: ok after playing wiht it some more it messed something up now i only have half a wallpaper... hmmmmm.. i guess its pretty glitchy

Kurtosis
July 11th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Yes, set at Maximum, hold down Alt and drag the body of the application screen until you can adjust it accordingly.
Thanks, but not quite what I'm looking for. That just changes the maximized window to whatever shape it was prior to being maximized and lets you drag it around.

I want something that resizes the window to exactly one half of of a widescreen monitor, and places it on one side or the other.

Kurtosis
July 11th, 2010, 12:50 AM
it didn't work perfectly for me because i might have conflicting compiz plug ins on or something. but follow the instructions on this page and let me know if they work for you.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/aero-snap-ubuntu-linux.html
Ah, Aero Snap is the term, thanks, that helps hugely! I got those instructions working on 10.04, the only thing is that system changes the windows around even when you're not dragging them and are just moving the mouse alone. But still the right track, thanks!

Kurtosis
July 11th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Update: Best solution so far is Compiz Grid:

sudo apt-get install compiz-fusion-plugins-extra

It uses mod key + numpad to position windows around the screen, instead of the mouse as Aero Snap does, but is easy to install and works as well or better (more placement options).

stinkeye
July 11th, 2010, 03:56 AM
You can also use the commands in the tutorial chillman posted, and set them
to mouse gestures with easystroke.

demosthenese
July 11th, 2010, 04:07 AM
You can also use the commands in the tutorial chillman posted, and set them
to mouse gestures with easystroke.

Or to corner actions using brightside

sudo apt-get install brightside

and set up with alt-f2 and brightside-properties

Kurtosis
July 12th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I tried that, but the main problem is that that hack actually causes windows to change position when you move the mouse pointer to the edge of the screen, regardless whether you're dragging a window with it or not.

That behavior was a little weird, prefer Compiz Grid instead, especially since Grid doesn't require the mouse in the first place. That's even better than Aero Snap, imho, and comes close to tiling window managers in efficiency.