PDA

View Full Version : Puzzle

iris-n
July 9th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Fellows,

I propose you a puzzle. Download the attached tarball, untar it, and try to tar it again. You won't. The puzzle is to find out why.

It is due to a bug in file-roller, that I have already reported, so nevermind about that. It was fun for me to debug, and I think you will find find it funny too.

1st hint:

It is very hard if you do it the wrong way, and very easy if you do it the right way.

2nd hint:

There is no double entendre in the first hint.

3rd hint:

One of the hints is false.

marshmallow1304
July 9th, 2010, 03:31 AM
11 000a

iris-n
July 19th, 2010, 10:46 PM
wat/

anyway, bump.

marshmallow1304
July 19th, 2010, 11:54 PM
File 11 has a line feed (000a) in the filename.

Edit: For the sake of the puzzle, my solution is hidden. Highlight the post to read it.

murderslastcrow
July 20th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I vote hint 3.

mobilediesel
July 20th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Fellows,

I propose you a puzzle. Download the attached tarball, untar it, and try to tar it again. You won't. The puzzle is to find out why.

It is due to a bug in file-roller, that I have already reported, so nevermind about that. It was fun for me to debug, and I think you will find find it funny too.

1st hint:

It is very hard if you do it the wrong way, and very easy if you do it the right way.

2nd hint:

There is no double entendre in the first hint.

3rd hint:

One of the hints is false.

It's not a bug because a line-feed doesn't belong in a filename.

iris-n
August 15th, 2010, 06:52 AM
It's not a bug because a line-feed doesn't belong in a filename.

Wrong. UNIX file systems allows all characters except for \0 (and /, but that's trivial). See for example the POSIX standard or the specs of any Linux filesystem, e.g., ext4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4).

How did you do it, marshmallow1304? When I first encountered this bug it took me a while to debug, because I was using the bisection method for root finding, and it does not work in this case: if you separate the folder in two ones, each containing 5 files, both will compress ok.

mobilediesel
August 15th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Wrong. UNIX file systems allows all characters except for \0 (and /, but that's trivial). See for example the POSIX standard or the specs of any Linux filesystem, e.g., ext4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4).

I know UNIX file systems allow for a line feed to be in a filename. That doesn't mean a line feed belongs in a filename.

marshmallow1304
August 15th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I highlighted all the files in nautilus and file 11 had an extra highlighted line.