PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Asterisk reinstall doesn't work

epsolon77
July 8th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I first installed asterisk using sudo apt-get install asterisk on ubuntu 10.04. After doing this the SIP packages did not install for some odd reason.

I uninstalled asterisk using sudo apt-get remove asterisk then reinstalled and now none of the asterisk config files are gone.

I did a

sudo apt-get --purge remove asterisk
sudo apt-get clean

deleted all files and directories I could find relating to asterisk, rebooted the machine, did a kernal upgrade, and a package update and reinstalled asterisk using sudo apt-get install asterisk, and all the config files are still missing. What am I missing here!

Sonsum
July 9th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I first installed asterisk using sudo apt-get install asterisk on ubuntu 10.04. After doing this the SIP packages did not install for some odd reason.

I uninstalled asterisk using sudo apt-get remove asterisk then reinstalled and now none of the asterisk config files are gone.

I did a

sudo apt-get --purge remove asterisk
sudo apt-get clean

deleted all files and directories I could find relating to asterisk, rebooted the machine, did a kernal upgrade, and a package update and reinstalled asterisk using sudo apt-get install asterisk, and all the config files are still missing. What am I missing here!

Maybe try installing it through aptitude? I've heard its better at handling dependencies.

So your command would be

sudo aptitude install asterisk

Hope this works!

epsolon77
July 9th, 2010, 02:45 AM
I will give that a try in the AM when I get into the office. To clarify I am pretty sure this is not an issue with dependencies, because the working directories for asterisk are empty on the reinstall. So the directory //etc/asterisk has no files in it, which is VERY unusual.
I will try aptitude in the morning. Possibly a different package manager will fix the issue.

epsolon77
July 9th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Couldn't sleep so I tried aptitude with no luck. I ran the full battery of aptitude commands, includeing purge, clean, autoremove, forget-new, update, restarted server and ran install, and still no files in the directory.

Sonsum
July 9th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I don't know much about asterisk (even really what it does. haha), so I can't be of a lot of help. I just sorta know my general troubleshooting.

So hopefully someone with some more experience comes on.

*plays drums in a fashion very similar to the ubuntu startup noise in the hopes of attracting other Ubuntu users*

epsolon77
July 9th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks for your help Sonsum. I posted here cuase I don't think asterisk has anything to do with it...

Oh well, I guess I'll format and start from scratch since I'm under a deadline. Again Sonsum thanks for the input, even though it didn't work it was a direction I hadn't thought about.

And please, if anyone else has encountered this I would still love to see what the solution is.

epsolon77
July 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Ok figured it out. The issue was two fold. On my sip.conf file was not coded correctly, so the sip plug in could not load.

Second, there is a dependancy, asterisk-config which loads the config files. I needed to install then purge that before reinstalling asterisk with a valid sip.conf file in place.