PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot from CD issues

sarmedic603
July 8th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Hey all,
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 on my mom's computer.
She has an e-machines desktop, which was previously running Windows XP. Long story short, it got "some virus", she's re-installed windows a few times, and the virus is still present it seems.

I figured I'd install Ubuntu so she has access to email and word processor while I 'purchase' another copy of Windows (read: have time to do the job right).

It appears to be a 64-bit machine, to my surprize. I've attempted the following, each resulting in the following error (after BIOS... this appears to be the Bootloader on her machine)

Boot from CD:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright....

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8138/810K PCS Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 13 ?? ?? ?? ?? GUID: FFFFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFF (not exact - but all "f"'s
DHCP...\|/\|/\| etc... once this times out, the following appears:

PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I've tried:
10.04 - 32 bit ( DVD, USB), using Infra Recorder and the Universal USB Installer

10.04 - 64 bit (DVD, USB), same as above. (Once I realized it was actually a 64 bit machine)

For some reason, Infra Recorder keeps giving errors (on my laptop) when I try to burn a CD... so I'm stuck with DVD/USB for now..

Any thoughts?

I've messed around with BIOS boot orders ad nauseum, burned multiple copies of disks, etc. Nothing seems to be working.

sarmedic603
July 8th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Does it have something to do with Wubi? Can I remove this?

sarmedic603
July 8th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I've also disabled PXE, which results in "Boot from CD :", and a blinking _

The CD drive is whirling and the light is flashing, but that's about it...