PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Success at last

Randy Schilling
July 8th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I've been trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 for weeks now. Failed attempts to install Ubuntu showed themselves to be failures either with the live cd (or dvd version) failing to boot, the newly installed system failing to boot or a problem with grub. I, for one, was slow to become aware of the critical role of the boot loader. In one attempt, one involving a download and burn to flash drive using another pc, my pc booted the flash drive, the installation booted, but failure did not come until after I downloaded those updates updates that are available immediately after the installation. My system would not boot after their installation.

With a lot of help from forum users and managers, I began to put pieces together. I read up on grub, used md5, and began to log my installation attempts, did it involve the live cd or the dvd version of Ubuntu, what burn tools (software, cd/dvd player, brand of cd/dvd) did I use, noted also how I handled installation questions. It became clear that my burn tools had to be suspect. I bought a new HP cd/dvd burner, tried several softwares (Roxio, UltraISO, Nero) and various brands of discs . What finally worked was the combination HP burner + Nero software and Sony discs. I haven't completely ruled out the possibility that both my old cd/dvd drives were failing me, but I believe that Roxio software was the ultimate culprit.

I always verified md5 hashes. One thing I like about Nero was the way it handles its own verification. I had burn attempts in which md5 tests passed but Nero's verification failed, other installations ended with md5 failures.

It was a great relief when my system booted properly after i installed those updates in this last HP+Nero installation. This last installation and subsequent boots have a certain crispness about them that was not present in any of those (now nearly forgotten) failures.

I want to thank, with all the sincerity I can muster, those who helped me over the past several weeks.

Only the best - Randy