PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Caller id/ call blocking software

Vrekk
July 8th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Hey, I have a home server that I built recently and I have been looking into things I can make it do, and one idea that came up was software to manage incoming calls. The main thing I want is something that can block numbers, but it would also be nice if it could record calls or broadcast the caller id over my wireless network somehow. I've tried Googling around, but I really didn't find much.

Any Ideas?

garfonzo
July 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Check this out. (http://www.asterisk.org/)

Vrekk
July 8th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Check this out. (http://www.asterisk.org/)

Look complex, but Ill look into it thanks

garfonzo
July 8th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Look complex, but Ill look into it thanks

Ya, it is complex. I have been thinking of doing the same thing (caller ID, recording messages, etc.) with my Server and all I could find was Asterisk. I have come across websites where people have used Asterisk for home phone management, but there is a lot of work involved. At any rate, it would be awesome to have set up!

Cheers.

arrrghhh
July 8th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Asterisk is a lot of work to setup. Why not Google Voice? You do have to get a new number, which sucks... But you can't really port your number if you're going to keep all your other phones active.

I've been using it for quite some time now (almost a year!) and I LOVE the service. You can even flag texts as spam!

Vrekk
July 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Asterisk is a lot of work to setup. Why not Google Voice? You do have to get a new number, which sucks... But you can't really port your number if you're going to keep all your other phones active.

I've been using it for quite some time now (almost a year!) and I LOVE the service. You can even flag texts as spam!

I do have google voice. But that doesn't stop telemarketers from calling my home phone.

arrrghhh
July 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I do have google voice. But that doesn't stop telemarketers from calling my home phone.

Ah... Well, I only give out my GV number, and I don't have a landline so I NEVER get spam calls on my cell. Too bad, I guess you have to get an unlisted number or a cell phone to truly avoid the telemarketers!

volkswagner
July 9th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Sorry I can't help with your original query.

I have been using ooma gateway VIOP device. With the upgraded package you can do black lists and deny calls.

If you are ready to port you land line to VIOP, it may be a viable solution that saves you money. I am not sure if othe VIOP service offer this, but ooma just had the least monthly fee for me.

user_of_ubuntu
January 21st, 2012, 09:59 PM
Voipo offers this service. www.voipo.com It works great. I just switched from them to Magic Jack purely based on price. Only problem with Magic jack is lack of features.

I'm looking for a way to block specific calls too. No glory yet :(