PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] hide/remove menu icons

Krajisnik
July 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for a way to hide the icons in the Gnome menu bar.
Searching on the net didn't help me ...

The only thing i've found is the gconf-editor and unchecking /desktop/gnome/interface/menus_have_icons, but that only affects the System menu and not Applications and Places...

Example:
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii61/sbs-zarko/menu_applications.jpg
Must be like:
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii61/sbs-zarko/menu_system.jpg

Anyone knows how to disable them ?

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04LTS with Gnome 2.30

Thanks in advance.

Dr_Willis
July 8th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Ages ago (like years ago?) there used to be a gnome setting/check box to hide all the icons. I not seen that same setting in recent gnome releases.

I will look about some more, It might be a gconf setting variable.

Krajisnik
July 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Ages ago (like years ago?) there used to be a gnome setting/check box to hide all the icons. I not seen that same setting in recent gnome releases.

I think this used to be in the old version of Ubuntu/Gnome...
It was in menu System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Tab Interface

This Tab isn't available anymore...

mcduck
July 8th, 2010, 03:21 PM

It was exactly the same setting as the gconf key already mentioned. (The appearance menu also had an option that changed the very same gconf key).

Sadly that option stopped working correctly when Gnome cleaned some of the unnecessary icons from the menus. So now we'll just have to hope that somebody fixes this setting in future Gnome releases...

edit: I think it might be possible to disable menu icons in the GTK theme, but I'm definitely not an expert in GTK theming so you'll have to wait for somebody else to confirmation & instructions.

hornedfiend
January 3rd, 2011, 05:29 PM
So...still nothing about this? I'd really like the icons removed too. They seems to clutter and slow down the menus (appearing later than the menus which causes small freezes)

joel.markshalayenka
April 25th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I would like to chip in and agree with all the opinion above. The icons loading every time a menu opens makes the interface sluggish.

I've even been testing FVWM and other less flashy less noob-friendly GUIs. The simplicity of the menus makes them much faster to draw and contributes to an impression of using a fast computer.

UBUNTU... Please bring back the remove menu icons option!! :D