PDA

View Full Version : Hard Science Fiction authors

e24ohm
July 8th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Folks:
I am looking for a few good hard science fiction authors. I have been reading Ben Bova, the Asteroid Wars and I am totally hooked on the hard sci-fi aspect.

Can anyone recommend any good hard science fiction authors?

Greg
July 8th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Folks:
I am looking for a few good hard science fiction authors. I have been reading Ben Bova, the Asteroid Wars and I am totally hooked on the hard sci-fi aspect.

Can anyone recommend any good hard science fiction authors?

The Asteroid Wars is that one from just a few years ago?

Well, the obvious thing is read more of Bova's 80 million books.

I'd probably go Herbert, Asimov, then Clarke if I were you.

EDIT: Did I really write Clark? Wow.

standingwave
July 8th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Can anyone recommend any good hard science fiction authors?Niven, Asimov, Clarke, Benford, Brin, Clement, Forward, Sheffield to name a few.

nrs
July 8th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Alastair Reynolds

Elysius
July 8th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Jack Vance

Eldera
July 8th, 2010, 05:54 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1521738&highlight=sci-fi

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1504811&highlight=sci-fi

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1484030&highlight=sci-fi

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1028736&highlight=sci-fi&page=4

What amazes me in these threads is the fact that so many people are enjoying the SF I enjoyed back in the 1950's. (Clement, Asimov, Clark, Heinlein, Niven,etc. Poul Anderson and Gordon R Dickson were also writing at that time and had some good stuff, if you want to dig back for it. In my mind, the fifties were the peak of the "Hard Science" writing. After that, fantasy and fantasy blends became more popular. Anyway, there is a lot of these old goodies still available: Amazon.com., Webscriptions, etc. Just search and enjoy.

PhoenixMaster00
July 8th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Alastair Reynolds

+1 I got hooked on his books. Read Century Rain, Revelation Space series and Galactic North so far and would recommend to anyone wanting hard science fiction.

sanderella
July 8th, 2010, 08:25 PM
What is hard sf as opposed to soft?

Eldera
July 8th, 2010, 11:04 PM
The more actual science that is woven into a story, or the more a plot developes from actual science, the more it is considered "Hard science fiction". A lot of writers, like Clarke and Asimov started writing very hard science fiction and then branched out. Since they made their reputations first as writers of hard science fiction, some people lump all their writings into the catagory. There a lot of stories that probably don't fit the original concept of "hard science fiction" that are still very, very good reads.

Edit: The term "sci-fi" seems to have become a catch all term for space opera, futuristic questions, and speculative fiction, whether it is based on actual science or not. Which I think is just fine, since most of us who read such stuff understand what it is.

Letrazzrot
July 9th, 2010, 12:02 AM
When I think of "hard sf" I immediately thing of the 3 B's: Gregory Benford, Greg Bear, and David Brin. All have written very enjoyable works.

If you read Asimov (and if you are into SF, you should read Asimov ;)), I'd personally suggest picking up one of the collection of short stories by him - there are plenty to choose from (he wrote a lot). I find his short stories to be quick and fun reads, and while some of his ideas may be outdated or cliche nowadays, they still usually have an interesting twist. Also being interested in science, I usually like his short non-fiction essays as well - I have several books that are a collection of both fiction and non-fiction shorts that share a common theme.

I'll check out Reynolds, never read anything by him...

Letrazzrot
July 9th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Edit: The term "sci-fi" seems to have become a catch all term for space opera, futuristic questions, and speculative fiction, whether it is based on actual science or not. Which I think is just fine, since most of us who read such stuff understand what it is.

Yeah, although there is a use of the term that has always slightly annoyed me for some reason. I think, particularly, the perception that some people have when I tell them I read science fiction - they immediately assume I like campy stories about 50' tall half-troll-half-manticore time-traveling aliens cooked up by a mad scientist/cia agent gone rogue.

I can only assume they are referring to the "sci-fi" channel on television, which I don't really associate with "science fiction."

:P

nrs
July 9th, 2010, 12:21 AM
What is hard sf as opposed to soft?
Hard SF generally adheres to the laws of physics, etc. and while it may be improbable it remains possible.

As opposed to Star Wars, for example, which is basically about space wizards,

Eldera
July 9th, 2010, 12:22 AM
they immediately assume I like campy stories about 50' tall half-troll-half-manticore time-traveling aliens cooked up by a mad scientist/cia agent gone rogue.

They don't read enough to understand what science fiction is.

And I agree 101% with you about reading Asimov's collected shorts. Great way for any one who hasn'e tried the genre to get started.

e24ohm
July 9th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Wow, thank you all for your replies. Now I have a great list for my reading enjoyment.

Thank you again.

sanderella
July 12th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for your answers Eldera and nrs. :) I am enlightened.

NovaWasp
July 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I'll put in a nod for Neal Asher.

Start with the Skinner or Gridlinked

Skinner - Voyage... - Orbus

Gridlinked - Line of Polity - Brass Man - Polity Agent - Line War

Cowl is unrelated and readable at any time.

Asher's monsters are believable. You won't see an apex predator with nothing to eat until the humans show up like say "Pitch Black." The AI characters are great too.

later,

mick222
July 12th, 2010, 08:46 PM
One not mentioned Fred Hoyle physicist THe black cloud I think he also wrote some short stories that tried to explain quantum effects.