PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Font Questions

thundaraptor
July 8th, 2010, 02:27 AM
So I have a 22inch hd monitor. it is pretty big. So big that viewing things on full resolution in normal font sizes, it can be quite difficult to read them from a few feet out. I spend tons of time on this system so I don't want to mess w/ my vision. So I increased the system font size to about 16 or 18 and it is much better. The problem is web browsing, forcing the font size is mandatory for the amount of research & reading that I do but this really disrupts the 'layout' of many websites. Does anyone have a good way around this? I can use the ctrl+/- commands to make sites bigger or littler but I don't feel that this is a good way to go. Crowdsourcing ideas to help with this. Cheers.

hhh
July 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Are you using Firefox? Have you tried View>Zoom and check the box for "Zoom Text Only"?

mcduck
July 8th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Just set the font sizes (and the minimum font size!) in Firefox's preferences.

Go to Edit->Preferences and on the Content-tab under Fonts&Colors click the Advanced-button.

In the end there really is no way to zoom text only (without zooming the images) and keeping the page layout intact if the page wasn't created in a way that allows different font sizes without breaking the layout. Apart from setting your own font sizes and zooming when necessary the only thing you can do is send feedback to the page's administrator and ask them for better support for large font sizes.

stinkeye
July 8th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Something that I have found useful is Readability (http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/)
which adds a bookmarklet to you browser to view the page as you like with no adds.Could be useful depending on the type of sites you view.

kostkon
July 8th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Change your DPI in your font prefs to a value that is more appropriate for this monitor. You could check its manual for the optimal DPI.

mcduck
July 8th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Change your DPI in your font prefs to a value that is more appropriate for this monitor. You could check its manual for the optimal DPI.

This is a good advice as well, and something that everybody really should do, as it's rather important for proper font rendering. But it only affects how clearly the fonts are rendered and has only minor effect on font size.

Anyway, instead of checking the display's manual for correct DPI it can be calculated as well, as long as you know the display's size and native resolution. Here's a good DPI calculator: http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html