PDA

View Full Version : 'Star Wars' creator says laser too much like lightsaber

Sporkman
July 8th, 2010, 01:30 AM
By Doug Gross, CNN
July 6, 2010

(CNN) -- "Star Wars" creator George Lucas wants to force a laser company to stop making a new, high-powered product he says looks too much like the famous lightsaber from his classic sci-fi series.

Lucasfilm Ltd. has sent a cease-and-desist letter to Hong Kong-based Wicked Lasers, threatening legal action if it doesn't change its Pro Arctic Laser series or stop selling it altogether.

"It is apparent from the design of the Pro Arctic Laser that it was intended to resemble the hilts of our lightsaber swords, which are protected by copyright ... ," said the letter, dated last month and provided to CNN by Wicked Lasers...

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/07/06/light.saber.lucas/?fbid=spC5OePijOe

CharlesA
July 8th, 2010, 01:36 AM
*headdesk*

Shining Arcanine
July 8th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Can you copyright a hilt?

tgalati4
July 8th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Why don't the trademark holders of the Graphlex camera sue Lucas. He simply used the flash holder (without the reflector) of a Graphlex 4x5" press camera. When the movie came out, the prices of these flash handles went for between $350 to $500. Before that perhaps $50-$75.

http://www.graflex.org/cameras/

McRat
July 8th, 2010, 01:51 AM
The Farce is strong in this one ...

McRat
July 8th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Can you copyright a hilt?

Lucas needs to hire better lawyers.

If anything about the design is functional, it's not covered by copyright or trade-dress, it would have to be a patent.

Pretty sure a round handle is functional in nature.

It's guys like Lucas and his legal staff that make a mockery of any legitimate need for copyrights or patents.

Sporkman
July 8th, 2010, 01:59 AM
The Farce is strong in this one ...

:lol: Nice!

ubunterooster
July 8th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Come on! According to the movie, all were handmade and unique, so lightsabers take many shapes. Anything that is held in one hand and does not represent a Blaster (tm) could represent a lightsaber

Legendary_Bibo
July 8th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I just went to their website. They're freaking awesome!!

undecim
July 8th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I'm sure the guys that sell these lasers are shaking scared. Just think about the number of people going to their online store to see what Lucasfilms is calling the real life light saber! It will make a 4chan DDoS attack seem like a slap on the wrist!

Linye
July 8th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Where are the pics?

chriswyatt
July 8th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I've heard these things can be quite dangerous, I wouldn't be surprised if some idiot ends up harming themself or someone else and it becoming a major news story.

They do look cool though :D

ubunterooster
July 8th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Where are the pics?
Wicked Lasers (http://www.wickedlasers.com/index.php)

(think of all of the advertising this is giving them!)

McRat
July 8th, 2010, 02:22 AM
The real beauty is they are pretty dangerous. I'd buy one before there's an import ban.

undecim
July 8th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I've heard these things can be quite dangerous, I wouldn't be surprised if some idiot ends up harming themself or someone else and it becoming a major news story.

They do look cool though :D

The U.S. military uses their green lasers in field operations.

chriswyatt
July 8th, 2010, 02:26 AM
I'm just surprised by the ease of availability of these things. Thought there would be some kind of licensing for lasers over a certain wattage (maybe there is, dunno, haven't looked into it). Seems crazy to me when regulation is so tight for most other things this day and age.

They will be banned though, it's just a matter of time.

Legendary_Bibo
July 8th, 2010, 02:27 AM
The real beauty is they are pretty dangerous. I'd buy one before there's an import ban.

Bah! The most dangerous things are always the most fun. We Americans typically live too sheltered of lives. This going my bookmarks folder of things I will buy when I get a job. :D

ubunterooster
July 8th, 2010, 02:28 AM
I'm just surprised by the ease of availability of these things. Thought there would be some kind of licensing for lasers over a certain wattage (maybe there is, dunno, haven't looked into it). Seems crazy to me when regulation is so tight for most other things this day and age.

They will be banned though, it's just a matter of time.
They are at maximum legal wattage as I remember it.

chriswyatt
July 8th, 2010, 02:30 AM
They are at maximum legal wattage as I remember it.

Ah, I thought as much.

McRat
July 8th, 2010, 02:31 AM
A quick search of YouTube shows dozens of videos of people lighting fires with them.

A arsonist's dream. Just aim it from 200 yards away.

Legendary_Bibo
July 8th, 2010, 02:35 AM
A quick search of YouTube shows dozens of videos of people lighting fires with them.

A arsonist's dream. Just aim it from 200 yards away.

Wait I thought we were still incapable of producing lasers that could produce heat. Besides that chemical laser that melted a hole through tanks 5 miles away that Boeing made.

chriswyatt
July 8th, 2010, 02:44 AM
This is what worries me, people like these guys and their 'lab goggles', lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzsNGiV1YXU

Of course this is a fake viral video but I wouldn't be surprised if there's something similar to and more real than this on YouTube somewhere.

Dustin2128
July 8th, 2010, 03:23 AM
gosh, I thought everyone knew that lightsaber blades were actually made of arced plasma :roll:

HappinessNow
July 8th, 2010, 04:10 AM

kostkon
July 8th, 2010, 04:18 AM
*facepalm*

chris200x9
July 8th, 2010, 04:19 AM
why doesn't he sue every laser pointer company for making "mini lightsabers"?

lovinglinux
July 8th, 2010, 05:11 AM
This is what worries me, people like these guys and their 'lab goggles', lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzsNGiV1YXU

Of course this is a fake viral video but I wouldn't be surprised if there's something similar to and more real than this on YouTube somewhere.

:lolflag:

t0p
July 8th, 2010, 05:19 AM
As I recall, lightsabers were invented long ago in a galaxy far far away. So even if Jedi patents are legitimate on earth, surely the patent is expired by now?

Groucho Marxist
July 8th, 2010, 05:46 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/07/06/light.saber.lucas/?fbid=spC5OePijOe

This is a Pro Arctic Laser; your father wanted you to have it when you were old enough, but George Lucas wouldn't allow it. He feared you might violate his copyrights on some damn fool imitation technology like your father did.

Stancel
July 8th, 2010, 08:15 AM
The lightsaber is supposed to be a futuristic version of a sword, the blade is extremely hot plasma. The lightsaber is a weapon in a science fiction saga, it requires technology we simply do not have and will not for some time.

Lasers are nothing like that. To compare a laser to a lightsaber is ignorant of how a laser works. But this laser isn't harmless. You should NOT buy this laser. They can blind people, cause cancer if it touches skin, and set things on fire. It is dangerous to you, your family and friends and pets if you treat it as simply a imitation lightsaber and not a dangerous laser. Source (http://www.digitaltrends.com/gadgets/lightsaber-laser-can-blind-people-cause-fires/).

Stancel
July 8th, 2010, 08:20 AM
This is a Pro Arctic Laser; your father wanted you to have it when you were old enough, but George Lucas wouldn't allow it. He feared you might violate his copyrights on some damn fool imitation technology like your father did.

It's not a toy.

From the website:

Warning: Extremely dangerous is an understatement to 1W of laser power. At close range, this Class 4 beam will cause immediate and irreversable retinal damage. Use with extreme caution and use only when wearing proper safety goggles with an O.D. of 3+ is required and 4.4+ for longer exposures. Customers will be required to completely read and agree to our Class 4 Laser Hazard Acknowledgment Form (http://www.wickedlasers.com/laser-tech/blue_light_hazard.html).

*Supplies are extremely limited as voluntary and regulatory restrictions increase the difficulty to purchase Class IV portable lasers.

nrs
July 8th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Lame justification on the part of Lucas, but I'm not going to lose sleep.

I think it's accurate to say these things are more dangerous than guns.

forrestcupp
July 8th, 2010, 12:57 PM
That laser looks pretty cool.

gemmakaru
July 8th, 2010, 01:04 PM
You can't parry with it so it's not a saber or any kind of sword. Its a glorified torch if anything.

chriswyatt
July 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Lame justification on the part of Lucas, but I'm not going to lose sleep.

I think it's accurate to say these things are more dangerous than guns.

I think the only way they could be considered more dangerous than guns is that people might be more likely to treat them as toys, whereas guns are more likely to be treated with respect on the most-part. Guns are more widely recognised as being dangerous.

I'd say without taking that point into account guns are more dangerous, with a laser you could blind yourself or burn your skin or give yourself a pretty nasty headache, with a gun you could kill yourself (or someone else for all of these points).

They're both potentially dangerous in the wrong hands anyway.

whiskeylover
July 8th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I just bought one for my shark. Now I have a Freaking Shark with a Freaking Laser Attached to its Head!

RiceMonster
July 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I just bought one for my shark. Now I have a Freaking Shark with a Freaking Laser Attached to its Head!

http://abahaka.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/dr-evil.jpg

chriswyatt
July 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Trouble with that is that you end up with a load of blinded sharks swimming around in a tank, Dr. Evil didn't really think it through.