PDA

View Full Version : Why have you stayed with Ubuntu?

su-37
July 8th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Hey, well my response is

Ive tried other distros eg opensuse, fedora, linux mint ... and i just keep coming back to Ubuntu. For me i guess its the fact that Ubuntu (funnily at first and now annoying in a good way) just works. When i was trying opensuse i ended coming back as i loved the Ubuntu Community and the fact that you can "backup" using Ubuntu one via folder sync.
This is very handy for someone who cant backup regularly.

As far as fedora goes, i love the ideals of sticking totally to open source and thats where i ran into problems. there isnt an open source drive for my graphics card so ironically i ended up sticking with ubuntu BECAUSE of games ;-).
Anyway I was wondering why have you stayed with Ubuntu and why?

Lucradia
July 8th, 2010, 12:26 AM
To be honest, I like debian more, as ubuntu has way too many depends (IE: Plymouth) that I don't like.

Yes, plymouth installs even on the mini.iso, even though it really shouldn't. (Debian doesn't install plymouth. In fact, it doesn't install any fancy start up splash.)

But with ACTA and UCITA around, breathing down ISPs to divulge users of linux so they can shutdown internet service to them (basically) is keeping me with windows at the moment.

malspa
July 8th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I prefer Mepis and Debian, but I'll continue to keep Ubuntu (and Mint) in my multi-boot line-up.

One thing that got me hooked on Ubuntu was the free CDs. Also, I liked the "humanity" concept. But the important thing is that it's worked out well on my machines.

RoeiShafrir
July 8th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Well, I stayed with Ubuntu because I like the ease of use... This system is refreshing and suits perfectly to me-- (I'm not much of a gamer) And I don't have to worry about all this illegal stuff that you have to deal with on Windows (unless you work for your money).

There's this charming thing of a community, fixing a bug in a few only by googling and knowing that nothing is impossible is appealing.

(Currently dual booting with win7. Not going much on win7 lately. Thanks to Ubuntu!)

steveneddy
July 8th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I have supported hardware so it is very stable for me on my laptop.

wirepuller134
July 8th, 2010, 01:31 AM
It simply does what we want it to do, and the community involved adds to the user experience.

mamamia88
July 8th, 2010, 01:44 AM
it works the best with the least amount of effort compared to other distros i've tried.

ubunterooster
July 8th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Uhhhh, posted via Mint ;)

d3v1150m471c
July 8th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Secure, stable, and its ease of use doesn't make it any less of a powerful linux distro. The forums here are also a kicker.

cloyd
July 8th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Ubuntu works. Yes, I've had to tinker with it. But, comparing computer skills to mechanical skills, the technical skills required are more comparable to changing your own oil than rebuilding a transmission. It really just requires a willingness to try. No viruses, so no Norton to pay. Lots of free software. Internet, audio, word processing, spreadsheets are what I want to most of the time. Ubuntu works great here.

I guess if I had no time to tinker, I'd buy a support contract. After all, I don't have to pay Norton any more. Nor do I have to buy software. No Norton or McAfee or such and free software would make a contract for support more than a good trade.

Oh, yeah . . . Ubuntu doesn't intrude into your system without your permission. No "Trusted computing". Nor does ubuntu do things like changing your default search engine to Bing without asking.

That is a start. I like it more every day.

Timmer1240
July 8th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Its fast secure stable earlyer i was on win 7 it was painful Ubuntu is so much more snappy pages snap open in the browser programs open instantly!Windows always seems slower now to me!Ive been Using Ubuntu now for over 5 months when I do boot up windows I just cant wait to get back to Ubuntu for some reason its really grown on me!

steveneddy
July 8th, 2010, 03:29 AM
changing your default search engine to Bing without asking.

Windows does that? No wonder people hate Microsoft so much.

JK3mp
July 8th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Windows does that? No wonder people hate Microsoft so much.

Agreed bing is an awful search engine.

carlexpc
July 8th, 2010, 03:44 AM
The commitment to the community that Ubuntu will remain free is one of the reasons why I stayed with Ubuntu this long.Aside from that, the community has strong support channels.

chessnerd
July 8th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Because I'm being forced to run it under the threat that, if I don't, Canonical will harm my family...

Honestly, I guess it's because I feel quite comfortable using Ubuntu.

Why haven't I gone to another distro?

I've used Fedora at school and on VirtualBox, but it just doesn't do anything for me and I don't like its package manager. I tried to set up Arch from scratch and I failed to do so. I have tried Linux Mint, Mepis, OpenSuSE, Vector, and others on LiveCD and none have swayed me. (I'm tempted to try OpenSuSE 11.3 in VirtualBox when it comes out, though...)

If another distro can "wow" me enough on the LiveCD, and I like it in VirtualBox, I might switch. So far, I'm sticking with Ubuntu.

Why haven't I gone back to Windows?

Well, Windows isn't very fast. Its boot up and shut down times are too slow for me when compared to Ubuntu. Windows does not give me a sense of freedom, nor does it empower me to feel a sense of ownership over my system. Windows fights with me. It does so no more than Linux, but if I say "sudo" Linux shuts up and does what I said, even if I tell it to kill itself. When Windows wants to be stubborn, it won't give in. (I think it reversed the 2nd and 3rd laws...)

su-37
July 8th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I would have to agree with you there. The community is what I really love about the Ubuntu project.

Legendary_Bibo
July 8th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I stick with Ubuntu because its become my comfort zone. I have no need to tinker with harder to use distros to do something, Ubuntu just works. It does everything I need and because its so stable I can actually do stuff on my computer without breaking it, or crashing the system. I have bloated Ubuntu (lots of programs for different tasks), and it has increased the boot times, but not by much (like 2-3 seconds), and even when it's booted I can use it so it's not an issue. It's still fast at booting, and that's a big +1 in my book. It's still less than 40 seconds I believe.

Also I like the community.

Legendary_Bibo
July 8th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Because I'm being forced to run it under the threat that, if I don't, Canonical will harm my family...

Honestly, I guess it's because I feel quite comfortable using Ubuntu.

Why haven't I gone to another distro?

I've used Fedora at school and on VirtualBox, but it just doesn't do anything for me and I don't like its package manager. I tried to set up Arch from scratch and I failed to do so. I have tried Linux Mint, Mepis, OpenSuSE, Vector, and others on LiveCD and none have swayed me. (I'm tempted to try OpenSuSE 11.3 in VirtualBox when it comes out, though...)

If another distro can "wow" me enough on the LiveCD, and I like it in VirtualBox, I might switch. So far, I'm sticking with Ubuntu.

Why haven't I gone back to Windows?

Well, Windows isn't very fast. Its boot up and shut down times are too slow for me when compared to Ubuntu. Windows does not give me a sense of freedom, nor does it empower me to feel a sense of ownership over my system. Windows fights with me. It does so no more than Linux, but if I say "sudo" Linux shuts up and does what I said, even if I tell it to kill itself. When Windows wants to be stubborn, it won't give in. (I think it reversed the 2nd and 3rd laws...)

iRobot reference? :D

Chame_Wizard
July 8th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Support a lot of things(and it's Debian-based)

Ruuki
July 8th, 2010, 08:22 AM
It isn't really my 'main', however..

Whenever I'm looking for an operating system there's a few key elements that are important to me: Does the OS control you or do you control the it? How does it run? What's it compatible with? What's the support like? What does it have to offer? What about security?

While Ubuntu definitely isn't the only good linux distribution, it still satisfies said elements (nuff said there, not going over each one haha) It's different for everyone really. For me, it's about what fits me personally, what complies to my style, and what works with my PC scene. For everyday use (e-mail, messengers, social use, browsing, on-the-go), Ubuntu is great. For production means, the open-source 'alternatives' to most of the popular software out there right now just don't cut it, therefore I keep Windows as my prime. Ubuntu or some other linux distribution will go on any future laptops I buy, though (unless I get a macbook or something and really like the apple OS). It's not really about faithfulness to a certain 'brand' of operating systems, but what's best for you in general. Linux, Apple, and Windows are all treated like religious denominations or something [-X It's about finding the OS that complies with you. Same way for any other software (browsers, games, email clients, messengers, desktop enviroments, etc the list goes on and on).

Etc, Etc, Etfc :p

Gregorybekkers
July 8th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Fast, Secure, Stable, Open source. :D

Khakilang
July 8th, 2010, 08:37 AM
My reason is because it recognize my wifi USB adapter as compare to other Distro and everything works the way I want it. Very easy to use for a newbie like me who is accustome to MS Window and are not familiar with command line.

chessnerd
July 8th, 2010, 08:42 AM

Yep! Windows has something similar, but like I said, the 2nd and 3rd Laws were switched...

1st Law of Windows: Windows must assure that it is Genuine.

2nd Law of Windows: Windows must protect its own existence, unless doing so would conflict with the 1st Law.

3rd Law of Windows: Windows must obey orders given to it by users, unless such orders would conflict with the 1st Law or 2nd Law.

Some feel that there is also a "zeroth" law, that supersedes even the first one. It goes like this:

0th Law of Windows: These laws are subject to change at Microsoft's discretion.

su-37
July 8th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Funnily enough, it was when i broke the second and third laws that i switched to Ubuntu, and lost 50 Gb of music.

aeiah
July 8th, 2010, 12:10 PM
it strikes a nice balance between being easy to use, customisable, stable and cutting edge. i dont think it's the best distro at any of those things, but its the most well rounded.

nothingspecial
July 8th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Because my wife knows how to use it and I like a quiet life.

quinnten83
July 8th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I think he means Asimov. You're very young aren't you?

quinnten83
July 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Some feel that there is also a "zeroth" law, that supersedes even the first one. It goes like this:

0th Law of Windows: These laws are subject to change at Microsoft's discretion.

I believe they call it "The EULA".

The Real Dave
July 8th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Simplicity. It's "just worked" on all of my hardware. Any tweaking I do, is for fun. I also like the community here.

Ubuntu was my first Linux distro, and it'll take something rather nice to completely remove me from it. That said, I run quite a few other distro's, Debain, Crunchbang, Arch and even...Windows ;)

Johnsie
July 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Pure laziness... I've been using Ubuntu for so long that I know it. I could probably switch to another distro easily enough, but I'm too lazy to go through the learning curve again.

I also believe that Ubuntu is the only distro with a big user base capable of challenging Microsoft and Apple.

I still use Windows alot though because of compatibility issues with some things that i use.

samalex
July 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I haven't read all the replies, but I assume most will be in line with my thoughts. Ubuntu quite simply works... Not to say other distros won't work just as well, but I've learned how Ubuntu works, I'm comfortable with the apt process of package management, and I like the community that's been built-up around Ubuntu.

I thought about jumping to another distro since I reloaded my laptop lask week, but honestly Ubuntu has been good to me so figured I wouldn't jump ship just for the sake of change.

Sam

betrunkenaffe
July 8th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I haven't read all the replies, but I assume most will be in line with my thoughts. Ubuntu quite simply works... Not to say other distros won't work just as well, but I've learned how Ubuntu works, I'm comfortable with the apt process of package management, and I like the community that's been built-up around Ubuntu.

same here. I also like the package management better than rpm even if the package descriptions in the repository can sometimes leave much to be desired.

sanderella
July 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM
It's clean and easy. As opposed to another OS which is on my husband's computer and gives no end of bother due to viruses, bsod's, etc. :KS

Shining Arcanine
July 8th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Hey, well my response is

Ive tried other distros eg opensuse, fedora, linux mint ... and i just keep coming back to Ubuntu. For me i guess its the fact that Ubuntu (funnily at first and now annoying in a good way) just works. When i was trying opensuse i ended coming back as i loved the Ubuntu Community and the fact that you can "backup" using Ubuntu one via folder sync.

As far as fedora goes, i love the ideals of sticking totally to open source and thats where i ran into problems. there isnt an open source drive for my graphics card so ironically i ended up sticking with ubuntu BECAUSE of games ;-).

I think that you are making a bad assumption by thinking that everyone here uses Ubuntu Linux. I tried it via Wubi and also in VMWare Player, but I never really liked it. Then I tried Gentoo Linux and was very happy with it, so I switched from Windows to Gentoo Linux on my computers.

CharlesA
July 8th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I would probably use either Ubuntu or Debian (or CentOS if I decide to learn how to use it), since I am most familiar with debian-based distros.

Oh, and Ubuntu only needs 1 cd instead of debian needed a few (or doing a pure net install)

Use what works best for you. :-)

su-37
July 8th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I think that you are making a bad assumption by thinking that everyone here uses Ubuntu Linux. I tried it via Wubi and also in VMWare Player, but I never really liked it. Then I tried Gentoo Linux and was very happy with it, so I switched from Windows to Gentoo Linux on my computers.

Sorry if i conveyed that. I guess i what i meant was why have you stayed with it as either your main os or as part of your sual boot or not at all.
:D

Warpnow
July 9th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Deb files.

Repositories.

Community.

ubunterooster
July 9th, 2010, 01:08 AM
community.+1

alipio simoes
July 9th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Hey, well my response is

I like ubuntu because it's a community movement. Everyone contribute to it make it better.

murderslastcrow
July 9th, 2010, 01:22 AM
It's basically a Debian LiveCD. Lmao.

But no, really, I love Debian. The way it originated, the way it's put together, the community involvement, the Manifesto- It's great. Ubuntu takes a lot of the ideas behind Debian and improves on them, and glorifies them in the interface and design.

So really, it's like Debian plus to me. SuSE and Fedora are good, but I generally feel like I'm spending less time having fun with them. They just seem to take longer for some things, more steps than necessary, kind of.

NightwishFan
July 9th, 2010, 04:14 AM
I like Debian too, and am utterly impressed by it. The reason I stick with Ubuntu is because it seems like it is the best way to step forward. It wants to bring computing to users and businesses in a friendly flexible way.

AstroLlama
July 9th, 2010, 06:08 AM
For me it was a "learn to love" sort of deal. I started using Ubuntu in 2004 on a windows/ubuntu installation. It was my first time with linux. I never used it for anything other than the internet until I broke MS Windows beyond repair.

At first I was frustrated that it didn't work the same way windows did, but eventually I just got used to it. Then over time I started learning more about computing, and all the free resources available became really valuable. I even invested a lot of time with Full Circle Magazine.

Now I'm most effective at an Ubuntu box. I've got it customized just how I like. I've experimented with other distros a little bit, but I feel comfortable with Ubuntu and the online community in the articles, blogs and especially the forums.

Most of my computing is for self-employed work, so I had the luxury all these years of not needing MS or Apple to exchange documents and projects with co-workers. I'm a musician, so maybe one day I'll get a Mac for use with Protools and a home studio, but until then, Ubuntu is the best match for me!

Megrimn
July 9th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I have stayed with it because it can do pretty much everything I need it to. Only recently have I had to boot windows for something other than to update, and all of its blueness has been killing my eyes (My ubuntu panels are black and slightly transparent).

To come back and work in the windows environment also included finding a program (dexpot) that would allow me to have more than one workspace, as I needed to have about 6 windows open at once.