PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Startup USB drive says "No Free Space" but won't delete anything!

quixote
July 7th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I have a 2GB USB thumbdrive which Startup Disk Creator turned into a LiveUSB. I reserved 128MB for persistent memory. Then I went and filled it all up by adding the multiverse repository. When it went to reload repos, it filled up all the available space and that was that. :rolleyes:

The trash is empty, and I've deleted files, bypassing trash. But the problem persists. I thought apt stored its info in /var/cache/apt, but that's just a 60K directory or so, so I don't see how it could be the problem. I gather aufs is the persistent memory filesystem, so I tried deleting that on the assumption the system might recreate a new empty one, but no luck. "Sudo rm /aufs" told me it wasn't a directory, and "sudo rm -rf /aufs" didn't return any errors but the drive full problem persists.

Is there some elegant way I can dump all my modifications to the LiveUSB so I have my 128MB back? I know the simplest thing is probably to start over and reinstall, but it would be useful to know if there's some way to recover from this kind of mistake.