PDA

View Full Version : Im very disappointed with ubuntu 10.04

maxenzo2
July 7th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Hello to everyone,im very disappointed with ubuntu 10.04 x64,for me its the worst version ever made,(the only good thing so far,its the speed),it gives me errors i did not had with the 9.10 x64 version like with the cairo-dock,just look at the pictures,they talk for themselves:

Besides the sound,now i cant update the sound driver,and i dont have 5.1(i dont even understand why the alsa driver is so old on this ubuntu version),but the problem is,i cant go back to ubuntu 9.10 because the repository have old stuff,and it doesnt recognize my windows 7 on the other harddrive.But besides that i didnt had problems with sound,dock,the window buttons on the left,no java(please the open source version of java sucks,it doesnt work right)

But i dont like any other linux distro(they are all very incomplete),i just hoppe they fix all this mess in the next version or i quit using Linux,specially ubuntu.

kingbirdy
July 7th, 2010, 06:24 PM
try reinstalling. you may have messed some things up in important places, and a clean install could help. or if your only problem is AWN then try reinstalling AWN

vangop
July 7th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hey!
Cairo-dock works flawlessly on my 10.04 laptop. Just reinstall. Moreover, I tried ubuntu 1st on 8.04 release couldn't get my internal mic to work. Now I installed 10.04 and everything worked out of the box + a lot more!

maxenzo2
July 7th, 2010, 08:32 PM
try reinstalling. you may have messed some things up in important places, and a clean install could help. or if your only problem is AWN then try reinstalling AWN
How did i messed it up,if its a fresh install? :|
And this is not AWN its cairo-dock,AWN sucks,and i reinstalled 2x cairo-dock.

Calash
July 7th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I have that same version of Cairo and it runs fine.

Double check your installed packages. I have 5 listed for Cairo, 3 having to do with plugins.

cairo-dock
cairo-dock-core
cairo-dock-data
cairo-dock-plug-ins
cairo-dock-plug-ins-data
cairo-dock-plug-ins-integration

On a side note it may be related to this bug in Cairo dock, not Ubuntu

https://bugs.launchpad.net/cairo-dock-plug-ins/+bug/545172

corruptor1972
July 7th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Hmmm, Cairo Dock works fine for me (both for the upgrade on this machine and new install on a different machine).

Try this: in Synaptic, uninstall cairo-dock (Mark for complete removal).

Next remove any old configuration: Open your home folder in Nautilus, then choose to show hidden files. Enter the .config directory then - if it exists - delete the cairo-dock directory.

Finally, re-install cairo-dock.

corruptor1972
July 7th, 2010, 09:15 PM
For the Java:

In synaptic, remove any existing medibuntu repository lines from the repositories list.

Go to www.medibuntu.org, click the Repository Howto link. Follow the instructions for Adding The Repository.

Next open a terminal and enter: sudo aptitude install ubuntu-restricted-extras

So you should then get java and much other multimedia magicness...

howefield
July 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM
For the Java:

You do realise the poster doesn't want the java supplied by restricted-extras, don't you ?

Partner repository is the place to look for him.

Can you explain what Medibuntu has to do with ubuntu-restricted-extras ?

maxenzo2
July 7th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Hmmm, Cairo Dock works fine for me (both for the upgrade on this machine and new install on a different machine).

Try this: in Synaptic, uninstall cairo-dock (Mark for complete removal).

Next remove any old configuration: Open your home folder in Nautilus, then choose to show hidden files. Enter the .config directory then - if it exists - delete the cairo-dock directory.

Finally, re-install cairo-dock.
That worked,i havent removed the config file before.

maxenzo2
July 7th, 2010, 11:45 PM
For the Java:

In synaptic, remove any existing medibuntu repository lines from the repositories list.

Go to www.medibuntu.org, click the Repository Howto link. Follow the instructions for Adding The Repository.

Next open a terminal and enter: sudo aptitude install ubuntu-restricted-extras

So you should then get java and much other multimedia magicness...
i dont have medibuntu,only ubuntu-restricted-extras.

corruptor1972
July 8th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Glad I could help with the Dock.

Ignore my previous post about the Java, I was in a muddle there: Howefield is quite correct, you want to have the Partner repository enabled. If it's Sun Java you want, I think the sun-java6-jre and sun-java6-plugin packages are what you're after, although I don't have them installed on my machine so I can't vouch for if that works or not...

maxenzo2
July 31st, 2010, 07:33 PM
Glad I could help with the Dock.

Ignore my previous post about the Java, I was in a muddle there: Howefield is quite correct, you want to have the Partner repository enabled. If it's Sun Java you want, I think the sun-java6-jre and sun-java6-plugin packages are what you're after, although I don't have them installed on my machine so I can't vouch for if that works or not...

The java works well,much better than open source version. :D

cariboo
July 31st, 2010, 07:39 PM
This really isn't a testimonial. Moved to Desktop Environments.

maxenzo2
August 1st, 2010, 08:31 AM
This really isn't a testimonial. Moved to Desktop Environments.

Well it was,but ended up different ;) thanks for moving the post.

craig10x
August 1st, 2010, 10:09 PM
If you are still around...try Mint 9...it's ubuntu underneath but everything is there out of the box...download it and run the live cd and you will see what i mean...

maxenzo2
August 27th, 2010, 11:37 PM
If you are still around...try Mint 9...it's ubuntu underneath but everything is there out of the box...download it and run the live cd and you will see what i mean...
But ubuntu is working just fine now,and i dont like how the gnome looks on mint.